Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/20/2006 02:23 PM CDT
I was just wondering if anyone could let me know if what I've heard of TM is true.

Basically, what will teach you your primary weapon, will teach you TM. If you go too far below what you can learn your weapon on, you won't learn TM.

Can anyone out there back it up?

Basically I was lame and didn't train TM as I trained combat and now I'm trying to at least get it closer to my other magics and having a bit of an issue finding things that teach it well, without eating me after I get one cast off.

Oh yeah...I'm a cleric.
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/20/2006 02:37 PM CDT
Somewhat true at least.

I have a bit over 200 in both my TM and my primary weapon. Laches are my prey of choice, and they teach me both.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/20/2006 03:37 PM CDT
TM learning works like ranged weapons.

Keep in mind you are magic primary/weapon secondary, so it will take more effort to lock TM but you'll learn more for doing so.

Your learning will be best on undead/cursed creatures.

If you post your TM ranks and defenses I'm sure we can find a suitable fit for you.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Place them in a box until a quieter time
Lights down, you up and die
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/20/2006 03:38 PM CDT
>>Basically, what will teach you your primary weapon, will teach you TM. If you go too far below what you can learn your weapon on, you won't learn TM.

Myth.

Act as though your TM ranks were the same ranks in a weapon, and you will learn TM.

If you have 100 ranks in a weapon, and 200 ranks in TM, you probably (almost certainly) won't learn TM from something that teaches you that weapon.

If you have 200 ranks in a weapon, and 100 ranks in TM, and you probably (almost certainly) won't learn TM from something that teaches you that weapon, because you won't be able to hit with a TM spell.

In addition, unfortunately, TM and weapon caps on a creature are not going to be identical.

Cleric means you will probably learn TM better on the undead.

Now, if you give us an idea of how many ranks of TM you have, we can probably suggest a group of creatures that you could learn TM well from hunting.

Remember that if your TM is significantly higher than your defenses, it will not be safe hunting; and that undead frequently have special attacks that make them more dangerous than an equivalent normal creature.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/b7zj8
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/20/2006 04:11 PM CDT
Thanks for all the hope so far. I'm at work so can't post exact but can definitely give you the range of my skills.

TM - 88

Shield - 100
Armor(s) - 100
Evasion - 90
Parry - 110
Weapon - 110

I've been in dark feinds, spamming them with DR (Divine Radiance) and it maybe gets me to thoughtful/muddled, I tried in the meys of Leth and they worked TM really well, but chomped on me pretty hard.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/20/2006 06:30 PM CDT
You didn't post your OM, which may be your trouble in meys. I'd say with MaPP you should be doing okay in meys. You've pretty much capped out dark fiends. Also, use PFE when hunting meys, it will cut down in their vit drain (their touch attack does normal damage, on top of special vitality drain). If you still can't handle the ladies with PFE and MaPP try corpse fiends in the dark abbey near black leucros and vipers for the next 10 ranks or so then try the meys again. Also, Leth meys are a little easier than Aesry meys, just an FYI.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/20/2006 09:43 PM CDT
By OM, do you mean overall magic?

Primary Magic: 186 68% perplexed
Harness Ability: 190 34% very muddled
Power Perceive: 151 53% clear
Magical Devices: 159 33% learning
Targeted Magic: 88 50% learning

Thanks for the tips. I don't have MaPP and I don't like using MPP much cause I just seem to get hit more. Thems the breaks though :)

Thanks for the info on Leth meys being a bit easier, I was wondering about that!
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/21/2006 06:35 AM CDT
OM= Osrel Meraud= Spell that makes a floating Orb that you put spells into
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/21/2006 08:22 AM CDT
Celeiros (also a cleric) has about the same ranks (a little bit less in most cases) and is hunting meys at the moment. Recently I just bumped his reflex and agility from 21 to 22. I have seen a huge jump in his survivability. Also, try and make sure you're at no burden. I usually find myself getting hit more as I hunt longer and pickup coins, gems, skins and boxes.

Another critter you could try would be steeds. I actually found Cel's TM learned faster hunting them. And one on one, they didn't hit him too much.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/21/2006 09:33 AM CDT
I think he meant MO, as in Multi Opponent, rather than OM. MO is an amazingly important skill, especially from what we old fogies were used to in the Dark Ages (1996 or so).

I don't know if you have any Cleric TM spells that work against the living, but your combats look good for either sand sprites (TM, MO, Shield, maybe the others a little bit), or something like snowbeasts, which would teach everything, but you would probably need to kill any past 2 quickly.

Not sure how accurate Amagaim's chart (http://kynevon.info/What2Hunt.htm) is anymore, no updates have been done for a while, but it looks like the zombie kobolds and skeleton kobolds in Illithi might be perfect for you. They probably won't teach you your primary weapon, but they will likely work most everything else.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/b7zj8
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/21/2006 10:31 AM CDT
MO is 90 or so. I do have OM, I usually have centering in it. Don't have enough experience in MD to put halo in it yet.

I went to leth meys last night and locked TM up really well, but with 2 of them on me, can't dance, just have to set out to obliterate them.

Thanks for the tips on the agility and reflex, I'll have to bump those a bit and see if I survive a bit better. I'm in extremely hindering armor, HP/HC mix so I really don't dodge.

I tried to get down to the kobolds before, but ran into the flying things on the way there and they kinda freaked me out, I couldn't hit them but they could sure hit me.

I'll look into the steeds, thanks for that tip as well.

Thanks to everyone sharing their suggestions and information, its been greatly beneficial!!

Oh, and if you need a cleric in the Leth area, holler on the gweth for Krysdawwn. She usually has an empath following her around too. Good thing!!!
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/21/2006 11:05 AM CDT
>I tried to get down to the kobolds before, but ran into the flying things on the way there and they kinda freaked me out, I couldn't hit them but they could sure hit me.

Yep, the moths are quite a bit over kobolds. There is a kobold area not on Ranik's maps immediately when you enter, saves you a trip to the poor mana area of the old chapel. Look for a path or trail (Ucu would know which) as soon as you enter the marsh.

I always forget about the kobolds, since I was already hunting DS when they were released.

Might be a critter or two around the new temple to asketi in P5 that could work for you, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/21/2006 02:43 PM CDT
I also have a hunting guide up at www.drplat.com under Plat Hunting. While there are a few critters listed that are only found in Plat-events, everything else should be identical. I am in the process of adding in all the critters from P5. Please email me any updates while I work on making the site wiki-able. Hope it helps.

PS - the suggest a hunting spot works, but extreme differences in offense/defense can cause it to fail. Still a work in progress :P

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/21/2006 03:00 PM CDT
Oh yes! You could always use HoT or FF to train TM against the living. Of course it doesn't rise as fast as spamming DR against the undead. You're in a skill range that is just not perfect for clerical TM training while trying to work other hunting skills because the undead hit hard. I like the idea of filling up on TM in the meys and then taking on the snowbeasts. Two critters within walking distance. Maybe that will work.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros and Makona
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/21/2006 03:35 PM CDT
>You're in a skill range that is just not perfect for clerical TM training while trying to work other hunting skills because the undead hit hard.

Not entirely true. Just takes smart hunting.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/22/2006 07:53 AM CDT
:grins: Well if I need to be smart (which I never am), it's not perfect, no? Anyways, I was trying to be more general and it all came out as gobbledygook. I was commenting on the fact that since undead hit harder compared to critters of the same level, it takes some slight hunting adjustments when one is first starting out. Meaning one may have to stop hunting earlier than one would think to get healing.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros and Makona
Re: Myth or fact (as far as we can tell) 09/23/2006 11:47 PM CDT
Personally, if you can't take on 2 Meys, maybe you should move down one level. Dark fiends are a problem because of their armor. I don't think you need to worry about your TM though, just keep training it as you train everything else and your TM will catch up and pass all the rest of your combat skills.

My point- from experience- is that you always need to keep MO moving because its easy to let it fall behind- its Flavius' lowest defense and I have to work harder because of it.

non-undead are good train because they are easier than undead, just as clerics its harder to clear out a swarm with our magics than undead. Hmmmm now where was I going? Oh kobolds just don't generate well from my experience and have decent armor-not a problem really using HE on them but harder to train weapon.

Flavius