AoEs and defensive spells 05/12/2006 04:11 PM CDT
Does anyone know if the check between defensive spells such as SoD and Shear and AoE spells is working properly?

Stolas

There is knowledge hidden in the shadows
Re: AoEs and defensive spells 05/12/2006 04:33 PM CDT
<<Does anyone know if the check between defensive spells such as SoD and Shear and AoE spells is working properly?

Yes

Trebber

It is intended to be a game, and while it never made sense for me to be able to bounce across the rainbow road or whatever it was called when I played Candyland, it never stopped me from doing it and enjoying the game.
Re: AoEs and defensive spells 05/12/2006 04:48 PM CDT
>>Does anyone know if the check between defensive spells such as SoD and Shear and AoE spells is working properly?

Defensive spells such as SoD and Shear and Ethereal shield always kick in properly except in the case of the caster having too many spells active.

In the case of AoEs, Shear weakens the spell; however, the moon mage with Shear up is not the explicit target of the spell so Shear can't 'backlash'. However, the spell is still weakened by SoD and Shear (and ES, for that matter).

Orpheus: "You've been powering this machine with a forsaken child?"
Venture: "What? It's not like I used the whole thing."
Re: AoEs and defensive spells 05/12/2006 04:48 PM CDT
lol, and how do you know that Trebber?

Stolas

Re: AoEs and defensive spells 05/13/2006 01:13 PM CDT
How many defensive spells is too many?

Stolas

Re: AoEs and defensive spells 05/13/2006 07:19 PM CDT
I would like to interject here that there are issues with certain combinations of barrier spells. This is a very serious problem with cleric magic (and really the only problem I have with cleric magic). I am not sure about combinations of lunar and elemental magic, but for instance, a protection from evil will not work in tandem with confound enemies or seal of deflection. This is a separate problem from having too many spells (the max number of effective spells is somewhere between 6 and 8 depending on circumstances and the spell choices).

These are known problems with barrier spells in combat. I hope that they'll both be high priority to be fixed either after the damage models (in our current combat updates) are rolled in, or after the spell vs stat contest stuff gets done.