Prev_page Previous 1
Auto-targeting newbs! D: 03/22/2015 03:05 AM CDT
I targeted the lout and hit poor Tristesse! We couldn't recreate this issue but getting the ambush timing all straight was awkward. So, here's the log at least.

sR> prep do
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You raise an arm skyward, chanting the equation of the Dinazen Olkar spell.
s>

> target lout head
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a hidden sleazy lout, focusing on its head.

s> harn 30

You tap into the mana from thirty of the surrounding streams and attempt to keep it channeling in a stream around you.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
sR>
The sleazy lout reels about wildly as he tries to regain control of his body.
sR>
Tristesse begins to advance on a sleazy lout.

sR>
You notice Tristesse slip into a hiding place.

Your formation of a targeting pattern around a sleazy lout has completed.
s>
You notice Tristesse as she stealthily closes to pole weapon range on a sleazy lout.
s> cast

You gesture at Tristesse.
You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
A noose of darkest shadows forms in your hands. With a flick of your wrist, you send it flying at Tristesse!
The air around Tristesse solidifies into a dull yellow haze and intercepts the attack with a shower of coruscating light.
The noose glances off her small shield.
The noose scrapes across her right hand in a wide arc, removing a few layers of skin.

Roundtime: 1 sec.

sR>
Summerfrost raises his head skyward, chanting.
You recognize the familiar mnemonics of the Shadows spell.
sR>
You notice Tristesse as she stealthily closes to melee range on a sleazy lout.
s>
Tristesse leaps from hiding and ambushes a sleazy lout!
Tristesse leaves a shining arc in its path and lands a hard hit to the lout's abdomen.

s>
The sleazy lout reels about wildly as he tries to regain control of his body.
s>
You feel fully rested.

s> "What?
You ask, "What?"
s>
The air around Tristesse shimmers with a weak yellow light that quickly disperses.
s>
Tristesse leaves a shining arc in its path and lands a solid hit to the lout's abdomen.
s> "I'm sorry.
You say, "I'm sorry."
s> puzz
You act puzzled.
s>
Tristesse raises her weapons before her and prepares to strike.
s>
The sleazy lout leaps from hiding and ambushes Tristesse!

Tristesse rushes at a sleazy lout, lashing out with her moonblade!

I like to imagine that the popping sound of PD is kind of like the fire swamp.
ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 01:35 PM CDT
In theory AOE TM should be good. With a single cast you can do as much damage as a single-target TM spell to multiple targets! That sounds pretty good. So why isn't it? This thread is for analyzing why AOE TM (the type you target and cast, not cyclic which is a special snowflake) is bad and brainstorming about how to make it better.

IMO a core problem is that doing a little bit of damage to everything the room with a relatively long prep time during which you can't cast other magic is just not useful very often. There are ony three scenarios I can think of:

1) I'm in a situation where my character has to deal with a large group of creatures, like in an invasion, but nobody fighting with him is in any personal danger (if they are then casting AOE disablers and debuffs to mitigate damage to them is better because that way they don't die) so I can help out at the margin by plinking out a chain lightning every 15 seconds.

2) I'm PvPing against someone stealthy and the only way to get them to reveal themselves is to hit them with AOE damage I have no way to follow up on before they rehide / pulse back into inviso.

3) I'm farming somewhere below my character's skill and the occasional AOE damage helps mop up anything that cyclic AOE damage doesn't take care of immediately, assuming there is enough attunement to go around.

But that's pretty much it. If my character is in danger while hunting or during an invasion there's no upside to soaking a lot of damage from the mobs so I can do a little AOE damage in return.

I think there are some things that could be done though each route has some drawbacks:

The most straightforward - up the damage of each strike and decrease the target time. Within DR3.X's paradigm I don't know that this could be done enough to make a difference.

Alternately, allow AOE TM (Since AOE TM spells by messaging are epic effects such as spraying an entire location with lambant green lightning that can be seen from the next room) to have a useful debilitory side effect. For example, on a cast of chain lightning a successful hit or shield block could proc a short (5-10 second) stun.

Mazrian
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 01:40 PM CDT
The problem is that it's extremely easy for AoE TM to be overpowered - the more common complaint post 3.0 that we heard was that there was no point in using non AoE spells, which is what lead to the 3.1 adjustments.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 02:20 PM CDT
I am of the opinion that AoE TM should be devastating - and have costs to match. Maybe like, 50 min prep / 150-200 cap or something. It should do significant damage to whatever it hits, and should cost noticeably more to fire off such that the cost alone (and maybe the time to target an area?) discourages their use in single target scenarios. I would maybe add an additional cost if only one target is hit to further discourage AoE being the only tool for every job. (Ex: You cast CL against a rat, at 150 mana. It hits the rat, you get messaging about needing to redirect mana to prevent harming yourself with the overkill of the spell, and it spends 30 more mana.

It should do very high damage at very high cost to many targets, but single target it should be much more mana and damage efficient to cast a single target spell.

Right now the opposite is true - you almost always seem better off casting a single target spell to remove a target from existence, than casting an Area spell to mildly annoy multiple targets. This is especially egregious with the way engagement works, where outside of rare circumstances you won't need to worry about more than 4 targets. You will never typically be numerically overwhelmed to a degree that makes you want to hit everything at once.

-Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 02:24 PM CDT
What situations are you in that you would want to use AOE TM but find it too ineffective? Why should AOE be better than non-AOE in that situation?

The situations you listed when it is useful seem exactly what AOE TM was designed for (excepting the stealth/invis reforming too quickly).

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 02:48 PM CDT

Its been hard to justify single-shot aoe since the engagement caps.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 03:02 PM CDT
With the exp tweaked for 3.1 I use War Mage AOE TM much less. The best use I found was ROS when mining in places critters are. At level it damages things fine, but the exp is too small and since it's killing things other combat skills suffer. Cyclic TM exp WAS amazing but was too OP in 3.0 in my opinion, but the exp downtweak really makes it only useful for farming in my eyes now.

It was handy when Drogor's minions were out for HE and you wanted to stock up on shark teeth though :)

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 03:27 PM CDT

> Its been hard to justify single-shot aoe since the engagement caps.

This is key. In normal hunting situations, danger increases significantly based on the number of mobs you're engaged with. You're more concerned with killing that one that bumped up your damage threshold to dangerous levels than you are about clearing the room. So long as AOE damage on that one mob is less than single target damage, I don't really see a benefit other than training and chain killing to use hard cast AOE TMs. Well, chain killing for whatever reason since it sounds like single target, full prep spells are the way to train now.

Cyclics are special because you can couple them standard spells and attacks.

Maybe the solution is to give hard cast AOE spells (again, not cyclics) a niche. Make them apply a weakened debuff and a weakened TM attack to all enemies. They're there to keep you safe (with the exclusion of fire rain which should stay pure damage to distinguish it from something like chain lightning).

Here's what I'm thinking:

* Fire Rain: Pure damage, distinguish from CL

* Chain Lightning: Applies a half-duration tingle

* Harm Horde: Applies a half duration Phalem's Sanction.

* Telekinetic Storm: Applies a pole-range whole displacement/push back.

Again, the idea of a hard-cast AOE is to keep you safe from the mob while trying to kill them at the same time.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 03:46 PM CDT
Fire rain is cyclic.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 04:26 PM CDT
>>The problem is that it's extremely easy for AoE TM to be overpowered - the more common complaint post 3.0 that we heard was that there was no point in using non AoE spells, which is what lead to the 3.1 adjustments.<<

Oh, for sure. I think a good solution is what Starlear suggested.

Make the mana range of AOE TM spells pretty large. Say 50-350. IMO you'd want to pick a range where a very skilled caster could cast one at max and have some attunement/concentration for other things, but not two.

The cost should naturally nudge the spells into certain tactical niches and out of others. When you really want to nuke a room to turn the tide of a fight you'll want the AOE. When you want to alpha-strike a room you might take the time to prepare in another location then roll in and drop your magical JDAM to start things off. If the only way to get that thief off your tail is to sterilize the area, there's your tool. But if you're going against a single target it's going to be more efficient to use your options. If greater effect doesn't equate to more learning players will strictly prefer their other TM options in the training context - they'll only reach for the AOE for tactical reasons.

You could code increasing secondary effects into the spell if you didn't want to balance strictly by damage and mana. Maybe something like this:
50-100 mana: Spell performs pretty much like now. Maybe with a little damage bump.
101-200: Escalating damage, chance to proc a short stun.
200-300: Smaller damage escalation, guaranteed short stun, chance to proc a longer stun.
300-??: Yet smaller damage escalation, guaranteed longer stun, targets hit are also on fire. Or suffer concussion with random RTs, or etc.

That kind of thing.

Mazrian
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 04:28 PM CDT

> Fire rain is cyclic.

Well I guess that answers that. It still fits in the paradigm though.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 04:38 PM CDT

Huh, these sound like interesting updates to the AoE TM paradigm.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 04:41 PM CDT
>>The situations you listed when it is useful seem exactly what AOE TM was designed for (excepting the stealth/invis reforming too quickly).<<

They're all situations, except the stealth thing, where it doesn't really matter what I do because there's no urgency. I could replace the AOE with just fighting it out. Those are situations where I'm just messing around and could do whatever.

>>What situations are you in that you would want to use AOE TM but find it too ineffective? Why should AOE be better than non-AOE in that situation?<<

Basically situations where my character needs to deal with a bunch of things before they deal with him or someone he's fighting with. For instance, in an invasions where the creatures are dangerous or when hunting with a partner who is over their head. That IMO is the natural niche for AOE TM IMO and it's the niche it occupied back in 2.0 and before (also, killing stealthy people). But right now even though AOE is technically more efficient in the sense that it does more damage totaled over all targets than a single target spell would do on one target, cast vs cast, doing a little bit of damage spread over a bunch of things does me no good tactically because I can't stand there and plink away while my dude and his hunting buddies get swarmed under. That's my issue.

Mazrian
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 04:45 PM CDT
>* Telekinetic Storm: Applies a pole-range whole displacement/push back.

I actually use TKS now and it isn't terrible.

I would, however, love to see a modification where it becomes a held mana spell like fire rain and effects the room for a period of time, similar to how it used to. I know moon mages aren't supposed to have the depth of war mages as far as TM spells though.

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 05:21 PM CDT
Suggestion on single shot AoE TM rules. The increased modifiers can totally change. Main goal was to make using an AoE on mass targets cost more, require more work, but properly reward people with the investment. You also won't feel dumb if you opt to just rattle off a few single target strikes on a specific mob.

1) Make all costs 3x what they'd be as a single target TM (you get the fourth target free!)
2) Keep damage consistent with single target TM
3) Give it 2x the prep time of a single target TM spell. This time, you get the third and fourth targets free!

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 06:03 PM CDT
>Make the mana range of AOE TM spells pretty large. Say 50-350. I

This would be very good, but I'd rather see that fixed by cutting the mana ranges for single-target spells down. a 1-100 range is unnecessary, and makes the numbers of things that should be larger scale out of controll!

Either way the current mana cost paradigm is just a problem for aspect of single-target AOE.

A cooldown timer on burst AOE might also be a nice balancing agent? (This mechanic used to exist, but I'm not sure if 3.0 can use it?)

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 06:21 PM CDT
>>1) Make all costs 3x what they'd be as a single target TM (you get the fourth target free!)
>>2) Keep damage consistent with single target TM
>>3) Give it 2x the prep time of a single target TM spell. This time, you get the third and fourth targets free!

This would be another version of "technically more efficient than single target but tactically not useful" and I think it might actually be less efficient than the way AOE TM works now. <g>

Mazrian
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/14/2015 10:40 PM CDT
>>This would be another version of "technically more efficient than single target but tactically not useful" and I think it might actually be less efficient than the way AOE TM works now.

If it was tactically better than single-shot in all situations, then it would probably devalue single shot TM too much. I think that's the major issue when it comes to balancing out stuff like this.

It's similar to how esoteric TM spells can't be fundamentally "better" than basic/intro TM spells. They might have additional widgets but they can't explicitly devalue those base-level TM spells.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 08:59 AM CDT
>>If it was tactically better than single-shot in all situations, then it would probably devalue single shot TM too much.

Tactically better in some situations is the thrust of these suggestions. Currently AOE TM is tactically better in no situations. In practice plinking out a little bit of damage to a large number of targets, unless it's done with a cyclic, is not a useful thing to be able to do.

>>I think that's the major issue when it comes to balancing out stuff like this.

For sure. I think we can think about balance a litte differently and arrive at a paradigm where it works. For instance, let's think about the criteria that would lead people to strictly choose AOE over single target.

1) If AOE teaches better. This is likely to trump every other factor in peoples' decision making so let's discard it by putting AOE TM on a different exp model such that single target teaches better.

2) If AOE grants more tactical advantage against a single target in a single cast than single target TM, for the same cost in time/attunement/concentration. If this is the case AOE strictly dominates single target as a tactical choice.

And that's pretty much it, right? The standard way to think about #2 would be as a computational exercise (my perception - I apologize if this is incorrect) - comparing X theoretical damage for Y mana over Z time for each spell. That's a good way to balance two spells that have the same application. For thinking about classes of spells that shouldn't have the same application I would propose there is a more useful way to approach the problem.

I think it would be useful to approach the balance between AOE and single target by thinking of the benefit conferred in terms of the tactical value experienced by the player - "How is this thing going to qualitatively change my situation if I cast it?" and the cost in terms of the actual impact on the player's ability to keep using combat magic - "Is this a small outflow that doesn't impact my readiness very much or is it a big investment of resources that will impact my ability to follow up?" - before giving any thought to tweaking numbers.

Right off the bat you can create a difference in kind between between single target and AOE that is something like this:

Single target qualitatively changes the caster's situation by putting some damage on a target, for a small cost. It's the equivalent of firing a magical arrow at something in both cost and intended effect.

AOE qualitatively changes the casters situation by dumping a ton of damage on the entire area (or damage + secondaries, etc) in a bid to swing the battle in the caster's favor with one spectacular burst, for a significant outlay of resources - for example, from full attunement you could cast one full power and maybe have some juice to follow up if you planned well, but not two back to back.

That difference in kind should create separate niches for single target and AOE that don't overlap. And if you done that you've achieved balance in the sense that one class of spells doesn't dominate the other in all niches. From there you can tweak costs and effects (maybe AOE needs a specific cooldown timer or something, or single target needs to do more damage, etc) so that things aren't too good in an absolute sense.

Mazrian
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 09:02 AM CDT
>>Tactically better in some situations is the thrust of these suggestions. Currently AOE TM is tactically better in no situations. In practice plinking out a little bit of damage to a large number of targets, unless it's done with a cyclic, is not a useful thing to be able to do.

That's why I was suggesting upping the prep time and mana costs, but not to the point where you might as well rattle off four single shot TM spells as opposed to letting loose one AoE against three or four mobs.

IMO, the best scenario would be making AoE better against 3+ mobs, and single shot better against 1 or 2 mobs.

Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 09:16 AM CDT

> IMO, the best scenario would be making AoE better against 3+ mobs, and single shot better against 1 or 2 mobs.

I think everyone agrees this is the best case scenario, but pulling it off is incredibly difficult. This is exaggerated by DR going from "2 mobs: no problem, can handle in my sleep" to "3 mobs: I'm going to die unless that third mob is quickly dispatched". That makes single target very nice in 3+ mob scenarios and AOE not so great as it takes longer to kill the third.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 09:19 AM CDT
>>> 1) If AOE teaches better. This is likely to trump every other factor in peoples' decision making so let's discard it by putting AOE TM on a different exp model such that single target teaches better.

My experience, currently is that the learning from my TM (and debit) spells is as follows:

PD = DO < TKT <<< TKS
MB <<< MS

Meaning that using the current model I a learn best using AeE spells and, in fact, have learned TKS and MS primarily for this reason.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 09:53 AM CDT
>>That's why I was suggesting upping the prep time and mana costs, but not to the point where you might as well rattle off four single shot TM spells as opposed to letting loose one AoE against three or four mobs.

You're thinking in terms of the computational balancing I just posted about. In practice that's not going to be enough difference to make AOEs useful and the increased costs would actually make them worse than now because 300 mana and 20 seconds targeting time is a very large resource cost while doing the equivalent of 1 single-target TM spell to 4 targets is not going to change very much for the caster.

The problem is like I outlined it - any situation where I can stand and hold off 4 mobs while I plink away - even if the plink is a little bigger - is one in which I could just do whatever because I'm in no danger. Arguably, in that situation, I deal damage a little more efficiently using the AOE and that isn't nothing. But that is the most boring possible way to distinguish those abilities and the point of this thread is that people don't find it fun.

Like I said, I think we need to think about differences in kind rather than differences in degree.

Mazrian
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 12:27 PM CDT
>>I think a good solution is what Starlear suggested.

I like this solution too. Increase the mana/time cost in exchange for more power. I also like the idea of unlocking additional effects at very high mana.

I especially like the flavor of it. It makes sense that a large effect should require a large buildup and mana cost. I would just hope to see something sufficiently explodey at the end.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 12:37 PM CDT
I would think the mana scale could be adjusted to have a significant rise in power in the 50-100 mana range without changing the "plink" of lower preps, and not making higher mana usage overpowering.

i.e. mana < 50 = x + mana | 50 < mana < 100 = 2x + mana | mana > 100 = x + 2mana + (2x + 100)

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 12:59 PM CDT
The balance doesn't necessarily have to be all in the mana cost, either. If an AOE TM was reimagined as a big nuke with 100 second cooldown or something I think that could be good, too.

Mazrian
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 01:19 PM CDT
Actually a timer would be the simplest way to have useful AOE TM that doesn't dominate single target TM, since while the timer was running a caster couldn't substitute one for the other even if they'd prefer to.

Mazrian
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 01:43 PM CDT

Why don't we just add a cast area or target area option for otherwise single target TM spells. It'll distribute it's strength across all mobs it hits, to a minimum of 50% power across 3 mobs. All straight cast AOE TM spells becomes a non-cyclic pulsing TM spell. They do 33% a normal TM spell, but center on the caster or room, and hit up to 6 mobs. Cyclics are unchanged. Warrior mages still get the most bang for the TM buck as they have a cyclic, AOE, and straight casts. Clerics (maybe with a new cyclic) can match that power against undead, and Moon mages would keep TKS + singles.

This way you can justify pulsing AOE TM spells being a little weaker as they're meant to be stacked with cyclic and straight casts for significant group damage.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 03:22 PM CDT

I think there is also fear of system resource use in invasions. Not to mention the opness that is a cast that hits 20 targets.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/15/2015 04:37 PM CDT

> I think there is also fear of system resource use in invasions. Not to mention the opness that is a cast that hits 20 targets.

Aren't TM spells capped at 6?
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/17/2015 04:58 PM CDT

Yes, I believe specifically due to the system resource concern during invasions.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 04/24/2015 07:42 PM CDT
> Actually a timer would be the simplest way to have useful AOE TM that doesn't dominate single target TM, since while the timer was running a caster couldn't substitute one for the other even if they'd prefer to.

I very much agree with Mazrian here. I think an additional thing to consider is that a cooldown on the big TM spells is that we'll eventually have TM foci to consider here. A cooldown might go a long way towards making sure that extra factor doesn't throw the system out of balance.

All of the main items mentioned, 1) harder to cast/more mana needed, 2) extra effects instead of extra damage, and 3) Cooldowns if necessary would all be things I would be fine with as long as we got AoE TM that felt powerful and tactically useful when needing to clear a room. The other alternative, I think, would be to keep things as they are but lower the mana cost, but that still leaves the problem with the spells feeling unsatisfactory.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 05/07/2015 04:15 PM CDT
I would also like to see each type of TM spell have its own niche. I like a lot of the suggestions I see here, and I have one thought that hasn't come up, that might or might not help give each type its own niche.

It is my understanding that right now, the damage an area-of-effect TM spell deals is pretty much symmetric with its damage to the multiple targets, meaning that on average it damages everything equally. If the amount of damage it deals to each target is close to the same as a single target spell, this make the single target spell obsolete. If the amount of damage is far less than the single target spell, this makes AOE not a good tactical choice, even for defeating large numbers of enemies quickly, because killing the first target more quickly with the single target spell makes it easier to survive long enough to kill the rest.

If the damage were not symmetric, it might be easier to reach our desired balance: the mana cost of AOE still made it undesirable for one or two enemies, but it is still the best/fastest option for situations where multiple kills in rapid succession are desired. My suggestion is that if you're facing one of the targets, then that target takes almost as much damage as a single shot TM would deal, but the rest of them take less than full damage. This gives the GMs two knobs to turn when trying to balance the damage from AOE spells. One knob is how much damage the first target takes, and the second knob is how much supplemental damage the rest of the targets take. Hopefully this would provide the flexibility needed to reach our desired balance.

As far as in-game concerns go, it would make sense that the intensity of the lightning arcs (or telekinetically propelled debris, or holy fire rains, etc) would not be completely uniform over the entire area of effect. This change could represent the small amount of limited control the mage has over where the most intense portions of the lethal energies are focused.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 05/07/2015 06:17 PM CDT
The problem with this is that casting a single target spell to immediately remove one target is still almost always a superior option over doing almost-single-target damage to one and less damage to others. If it was doing more damage to one of the targets than a single target spell does, then you immediately make AoE spells superior to single target spells.

I've been thinking about this a bit recently and I sort of think that a damage multiplier based on the number of targets hit is a pretty good idea. So that single-target, an AoE TM spell deals about 80% of a single-target TM spell. On two targets, it deals 100% of a single target spell to both targets. On 3 targets, 120%. Etc.

Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 05/07/2015 07:16 PM CDT
<The problem with this is that casting a single target spell to immediately remove one target is still almost always a superior option over doing almost-single-target damage to one and less damage to others. If it was doing more damage to one of the targets than a single target spell does, then you immediately make AoE spells superior to single target spells.>

If your goal is to immediately remove one target, then a single target spell is what you want. If your goal is to remove as many as possible as fast as possible, then an AOE is what you want. At least, that's the balance I believe we're trying to strike: each type having its own tactical niche. The difficulty right now, as I understand it, is that the AOE damage is so much weaker, that unless your defenses can handle all of them, you are better off killing one at a time until they can, which means there's not much place for AOE (not even when you want to kill more than one enemy). Are you saying that even if AoE killed one target just as fast as single target TM, but also did somewhat reduced damage to the other targets, at the expense of a greater attunement loss, you still wouldn't want to use it when you needed to quickly get rid of 2-4 enemies, for the sake of your defense? I can see how your suggestion does give each type of spell it's niche, but it could also be considered unbalanced, and I'm not sure it makes in-game sense for the targets to take more damage when there are more of them. If the GMs were feeling ambitious they could do some AOE spells of one style, and some of another.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 05/07/2015 08:11 PM CDT
>Are you saying that even if AoE killed one target just as fast as single target TM, but also did somewhat reduced damage to the other targets, at the expense of a greater attunement loss, you still wouldn't want to use it when you needed to quickly get rid of 2-4 enemies, for the sake of your defense?

That won't happen, because if it did we'd be back to the problem that existed in 2.0 where there was no reason to use single target stuff. It was changed to what it is now FROM that.

Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 05/07/2015 09:14 PM CDT

> That won't happen, because if it did we'd be back to the problem that existed in 2.0 where there was no reason to use single target stuff. It was changed to what it is now FROM that.

I seriously wonder if it's feasible to just scratch the idea of straight cast AOE spells. Take the three straight cast AOE spells that exist now, Chain Lightning, TKS, and HH, and change them. TKS becomes a room based pulsing spell. HH becomes a pulsing or triggered spell on the cleric. Chain lightning becomes a TM/Debil spell (AOE nerve damage - since it matters now). Give them a reason to be cast if there's a horde, or if you anticipate a horde.

If that's out, maybe at least reducing the slot requirement for AOE spells considering their so niche and just call them niche spells for farming high spawn mobs.
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 05/08/2015 03:38 PM CDT
Starlear, when I exchanged the words 'almost as' and 'just as' you changed from 'single is always better' to 'aoe is always better'. Is the line between those two really so fine? Do you not think having that second knob to adjust would blur that line a bit? Also, was the damage not symmetric in most 2.0 spells? I thought it was, but never really tested.

I've been thinking about this more, as well. The balance I think we are looking for is one type of spell being more efficient, and the other being more powerful. We can measure efficiency as the amount of damage/killing we can do with a certain amount of attunement. We can measure power as the amount of damage/killing we can do in a certain amount of time. This power needs to be measured not over the long term, but over the time it takes to advance from missile to melee plus maybe a couple of seconds, though.

Right now, I think single target spells are more powerful (if you need to kill fast, you use them), and area of effect spells are more efficient (the total damage over all targets is more than you would get for the same mana in single target casts). One problem with this is that if you want to use your efficient AoE spells for training, you need to have the defenses to dance with many targets. Usually the people with AoE spells can get their targeted magic much higher than their defenses, so it often doesn't work out that way.

I think that things would be better if single target spells were more efficient (needed less mana to kill a target), and AoE spells were more powerful (needed less time to kill multiple targets). The way I wanted to see this accomplished was by having the first target die in the same amount of time, either way, but at greater attunement hit with AoE. The second and third targets die much faster with AoE, though. The point of this is that there would then be a niche for each type. If you've got as many creatures as you can handle on you, and one more walks in, then you want to use single target to kill one without blowing your mana. If you've got as many as you can handle, and three more walk in, then you want to use the AoE in order to get three kills in before you are overwhelmed.

I think this makes more sense in-game, as well. Why wouldn't it be a more efficient use of mana to focus your energy on a single enemy than to spread it over a wide area only a little bit of which contains enemies? Also, why shouldn't you want to use AoE in situations where you want to kill multiple things as fast as possible?
Re: ITT let's rebalance AOE TM. 05/12/2015 08:10 AM CDT
>Is the line between those two really so fine? Do you not think having that second knob to adjust would blur that line a bit?

I think the second knob needs to be something new because the knobs we have will lead to one or the other always being the right choice.

>Right now, I think single target spells are more powerful (if you need to kill fast, you use them), and area of effect spells are more efficient (the total damage over all targets is more than you would get for the same mana in single target casts).

This is already true, but the issue is that when you factor in the wound reduction from vitality, you need say, 6+ casts of an AoE spell to theoretically clear out a room of 4 things, where you will only likely need 4-6 casts of a single target spell.

The idea of single target vs area effect spell shouldn't be as convoluted as more dmg vs more efficiency, it simply needs to be "better vs single or few targets" vs "better at multiple targets". In my opinion there should never be a reason to use a non-cyclic AoE spell against a single target. At the same time tweaking the knobs the way they have been taeaked in the past makes one or the other always better, rather than situationally better.

We need new knobs.

We need new knobs. 05/12/2015 11:39 AM CDT
>>The idea of single target vs area effect spell shouldn't be as convoluted as more dmg vs more efficiency, it simply needs to be "better vs single or few targets" vs "better at multiple targets". In my opinion there should never be a reason to use a non-cyclic AoE spell against a single target. At the same time tweaking the knobs the way they have been taeaked in the past makes one or the other always better, rather than situationally better.<<

There's the edge case of a stealthy opponent you need to nuke your room to flush out, but yeah I agree. =)

Mazrian
Prev_page Previous 1