Cyclic TM Exp 01/25/2015 09:00 PM CST
My rimefang mows the critters down, but doesn't teach more than dabbling.

I throw minimum-prep intro tm spells at the same critters, and I move one mindstate per hit. What is up.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Cyclic TM Exp 01/26/2015 08:27 AM CST
There definitely seems to be an EXP reduction with cyclic TM spells. I've noticed it with USOL as well. I figured it was intentional though since at a certain point cyclics are fairly easy to maintain.
Re: Cyclic TM Exp 01/30/2015 02:42 PM CST
While I don't think cyclics, due to their nature, should teach as much as a fully prepped TM spell, I would say half xp is more than fair, and we aren't getting anywhere close to that right now. I'll be happy to provide some data on creatures that are perfect trainers.
Re: Cyclic TM Exp 01/30/2015 05:02 PM CST
It might just be my attitude, but this hurts my desire to use cyclic TM quite a bit. I could use that mana for both more direct damage and more xp. Possibly cyclic TM is more worth it with higher skill to up the prep? Even at just 13 prep, I find rimefang kills a faster than spawn, but then I'm left standing around like an idiot with nothing to do and having learned nothing from it. Made some piddling cash along the way. I paid how many spell slots for that?

Re: Cyclic TM Exp 01/30/2015 05:11 PM CST
>>Even at just 13 prep, I find rimefang kills a faster than spawn, but then I'm left standing around like an idiot with nothing to do and having learned nothing from it. Made some piddling cash along the way. I paid how many spell slots for that?

Why not hunt something harder if you kill them too fast, which limits your ability to get EXP from them?

My understanding is that AOEs give less exp because it's pretty much set-and-forget once you get the cyclic feat, doubly so since it gives no combat RT past the initial one, and the fact that you could easily use non-cyclic TM spells at the same time.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Cyclic TM Exp 01/30/2015 05:17 PM CST
>Why not hunt something harder if you kill them too fast, which limits your ability to get EXP from them?

It's just annoying that I could use standard TM, kill almost as fast (And I think the difference there is actually throttled by my typing speed since I don't have a combat script) and get one mindstate per hit. It just feels screwy.

Re: Cyclic TM Exp 01/31/2015 11:01 AM CST
With enough skill to maintain mana, you can attack with two spells simultaneously, so cyclic has that going for it.

It needs to have an exp penalty or there'd be no downside. I can't speak to the rimefang experience, perhaps single target cyclic tm spells don't teach enough. USOL seems fine though, but that's AoE cyclic.
Re: Cyclic TM Exp 01/31/2015 11:47 AM CST
Rimefang is an AOE (melee aoe, but when was the last time anything wasn't at melee?). It could just pulse slower than USOL at low casts and I have no business even knowing Rimefang at 474/330 relevant magics. IS also possible that orcs are just stopping to teach at 330 ranks, can anyone comment to that? But why am I learning so much from single target tm, then?

>It needs to have an exp penalty or there'd be no downside.

I suppose the cyclic model may just be an awkward design.

Re: Cyclic TM Exp 02/01/2015 09:56 AM CST
My experience in shalswars was that once I hit the soft cap on TM, USOL's experience dropped off dramatically whereas single target Vivisection still taught ok. So it may be that the soft cap interaction with cyclic TM is a little funny.

My solution was to run into a harder area just to lock up TM. Although now I'm kinda waiting for my tert weapons to catch up.
Re: Cyclic TM Exp 02/04/2015 02:25 PM CST
This doesn't make any sense. Cyclic TM exp gain was too high. But this change just makes it worthless for training. Now my only cyclic TM use is run it when mining in areas with critters. No exp, but kills for the skins and treasure.

Please turn this back up a few notches. As a War Mage this basically makes our top spells not eve worth having training wise.

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror