PW 10/30/2014 11:30 PM CDT
I'm sure this was covered somewhere but yet to find it. Not that I looked hard. But here it goes.
PW used to be one of my favorite spells. Good knock back with damage spell that was great for PVP and hunting. Now it's not very useful. I get that it'll yank someone or a critter to melee also but I'd take the damage over that change every time. The only reason I can see to even get this basically useless spell is because it's a pre-requisite to the debilitation spells in the air book. Anyone know the reasoning for this change?

*Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.*
Re: PW 10/31/2014 01:17 AM CDT
PW has been quite a few spells... but I think the most recent change was because it was felt WMs had too many redundant single target damage spells, and maybe some flavor of PW being expensive slot-wise if it did damage And knockback.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: PW 10/31/2014 01:30 AM CDT
Sounds reasonable. Not that I have an input on matters like this but I would suggest changing it from a TM spell to a debilitation spell. Something like shockwave used to be before damage was added. Effects everything at melee knocking them back to missile range or with enough mana possibly out of the room entirely.

*Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.*
Re: PW 10/31/2014 01:50 AM CDT
Out of curiosity, does PW still have the easter egg rare additional effect?

Also, I think PW's current design was built around the idea that engagement ranges would be harder to move between during combat, so its utility was with that in mind. I.e. retreating would take time and not be instant, so PW was a way for Warrior Mages to bypass that. I'm not sure if non-instant retreating is still on the table as a thing or not...

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: PW 10/31/2014 08:53 AM CDT
<<Out of curiosity, does PW still have the easter egg rare additional effect?>>

Not sure what you mean by easter egg but, PW will 'throw' naphtha from your hand to target. I think it uses target skill instead of LT/HT to do this.

Rehlyn

A Maelshyvean shadow beast slows long enough to deeply inhale some of the swirling shadows surrounding it. After a moment, it sighs with great releif and blackness oozes from its ears and nostrils.
Re: PW 10/31/2014 10:06 AM CDT
Easter egg effect was a second attack. Also tested this with a reiver using naptha and FS to ignite it. Naptha hit it's left eye. Targeted and cast a min prep FS at it's left eye and ignited it. Not much damage.

>target fs at reeiver left eye
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You take up a handful of dirt in your palm to prepare the Fire Shards spell. As you whisper arcane words, you gently blow the dust away and watch as it becomes swirling motes of glittering light that veil your hands in a pale aura.
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a red bear orc reiver.

>cast left eye
* As if effort and skill were a bad thing, a red bear orc reiver chops wide at you. You fend off some of the battle-axe with a black sword.
[You're bruised, solidly balanced with opponent in superior position.]
>
You gesture at a red bear orc reiver.
Several shards of elemental flame fly at a red bear orc reiver!

The shard hits a red bear orc reiver in the forehead, leaving a blistered and bleeding patch of skin.
The naphtha soaking a red bear orc reiver bursts into flame with an explosive WHOOOMPH!
The orc reiver is lightly stunned!
The fire shard smacks into it, leaving a circular burn on its abdomen.
Roundtime: 1 sec.

>l reiv

You see a red bear orc reiver.
The orc reiver has a bruised head compounded by cuts and bruises about the head, a severely swollen and deeply bruised right leg compounded by deep cuts across the right leg, tiny scratches to the abdomen.
The orc reiver is bleeding with slight bruising in the right leg and slightly from the right leg.
It is wearing a crudely-sewn hide sack, some rusty iron ring mail, a fraying cloth bag.
It is carrying a rusty steel battle-axe.

I stood there awhile to see it there would be more effects. There wasn't.
The limb damage was caused by the min prep FB I used first to try and ignite the naptha. Didn't have any more naptha to retest this. But the head damage was pretty weak IMO. The shard itself did way more damage than the naptha did.
That leads me to believe naptha is just a waste of time and kronars and is a sorry excuse to change a once very good spell.

Re: PW 10/31/2014 10:10 AM CDT

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Also, I think PW's current design was built around the idea that engagement ranges would be harder to move between during combat, so its utility was with that in mind. I.e. retreating would take time and not be instant, so PW was a way for Warrior Mages to bypass that. I'm not sure if non-instant retreating is still on the table as a thing or not...

That would be plausible if it effected all at melee. But it doesn't. It may knock one back but there can be 3 more at melee with you. So it doesn't really bypass anything.
Re: PW 10/31/2014 10:37 AM CDT
PW is definitely underwhelming. Partially because storebought naphtha is intentionally crap and we dont yet have alchemy produced naphtha.

I personally would like PW a lot more if it pulsed a few times over a duration and prevented moving out of the room while active.

This would allow it to be a spell to temporarily force and keep something into melee or out of melee for a duration rather than just one time which gets negated by insta retreat. Since the spell requires a prep and target this doesn't seem unreasonable.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: PW 10/31/2014 10:37 AM CDT
Ran and got more naphtha to do another test.

The sabre-toothed warcat stalks into the area.
>target pw 30 at
You take up a handful of dirt in your palm to prepare the Paeldryth's Wrath spell. As you whisper arcane words, you gently blow the dust away and watch as it becomes swirling motes of glittering light that veil your hands in a pale aura.
You turn to face a sabre-toothed warcat.
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a sabre-toothed warcat.
>
The orc reiver lopes in with her steel battle-axe raised. Crouching down as she stops, she twists warily, surveying the area.
>
A sabre-toothed warcat gestures at you.
Vibrant orange flames seem to flicker in the sabre-toothed warcat's yellow eyes, capturing your attention with a mesmerising stare.
You feel a calm wash over you, but you think about blood and gore for a moment and it goes away.
>
Your formation of a targeting pattern around a sabre-toothed warcat has completed.
>
The sabre-toothed warcat begins to advance on you!
The sabre-toothed warcat is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
>cast
You gesture at a sabre-toothed warcat.
The winds slam into a sabre-toothed warcat. A sabre-toothed warcat is still at missle range after the winds die down.

The naphtha in your left hand is blown by the winds toward a sabre-toothed warcat!
The naphtha shatters in an explosion of tiny glass shards and smelly, sticky mixture against a sabre-toothed warcat's left leg!
>
You feel fully rested.
>
The orc reiver begins to advance on you!
The orc reiver is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
>
The sabre-toothed warcat closes to pole weapon range on you!
>
The sabre-toothed warcat closes to melee range on you!
>
Vibrant orange flames seem to flicker in the sabre-toothed warcat's yellow eyes, capturing your attention with a mesmerising stare.
You feel a calm wash over you, but you think about blood and gore for a moment and it goes away.
>
The orc reiver closes to pole weapon range on you!
>
* Ineptly, a sabre-toothed warcat lashes out with large, velvet-padded claws extended at you. You turn aside most of the claw with a black sword.
[You're adeptly balanced and in excellent position.]
>target fs at war left leg
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You take up a handful of dirt in your palm to prepare the Fire Shards spell. As you whisper arcane words, you gently blow the dust away and watch as it becomes swirling motes of glittering light that veil your hands in a pale aura.
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a sabre-toothed warcat.
>
The orc reiver closes to melee range on you!
>
* Ineptly, a red bear orc reiver chops a rusty steel battle-axe at you. You turn aside most of the battle-axe with a black sword.
[You're nimbly balanced and have slight advantage.]
>
* As if effort and skill were a bad thing, a sabre-toothed warcat rips with its curving sabre-like teeth at you. You block with a damaska-hide buckler.
[You're nimbly balanced and in good position.]
>
You notice as a russet panther looks around cautiously.
>
The orc reiver moves into a position to dodge.
>
>
Your formation of a targeting pattern around a sabre-toothed warcat has completed.
>
* Looking as if this were a bad idea, a sabre-toothed warcat rips with its curving sabre-like teeth at you. You fend off most of the teeth with a black sword.
[You're adeptly balanced and in superior position.]
>cast left leg
You gesture at a sabre-toothed warcat.
Several shards of elemental flame fly at a sabre-toothed warcat!

Your fire shard misses!
The fire shard glances off its left leg, singeing it a little.
The naphtha soaking a sabre-toothed warcat bursts into flame with an explosive WHOOOMPH!
Roundtime: 1 sec.
>
* In a weak and directionless display of aggression, a red bear orc reiver feints high at you. You deflect most of the battle-axe with a black sword.
[You're nimbly balanced with opponent in better position.]
>l war

You see a sabre-toothed warcat.
The sabre-toothed warcat has faint scuffing to the left leg.
The sabre-toothed warcat is in good shape.
It is wearing an iron-spiked leather collar.
It is carrying nothing!

>
* Ineptly, a sabre-toothed warcat lashes out with large, velvet-padded claws extended at you. You block with a damaska-hide buckler.
[You're adeptly balanced and in superior position.]
>
A sabre-toothed warcat seems not to notice as the flames consume its left leg!
>
* In a weak and directionless display of aggression, a red bear orc reiver sweeps low at you. You knock aside most of the battle-axe with a black sword.
[You're adeptly balanced and in strong position.]
>
A sabre-toothed warcat dives to the ground and rolls, trying to extinguish the flames!
>
* Moving in like a timid schoolboy, a red bear orc reiver chops a rusty steel battle-axe at you. You slap away most of the battle-axe with a black sword.
[You're nimbly balanced and in strong position.]
>
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
>
A sabre-toothed warcat seems not to notice as the flames consume its left leg!
>
A sabre-toothed warcat continues to roll around on the ground trying to extinguish the flames.
>
The orc reiver moves into a position to parry.
>
* Ineptly, a red bear orc reiver chops wide at you. You slap away most of the battle-axe with a black sword.
[You're adeptly balanced and in good position.]
>
* Tentatively, a red bear orc reiver sweeps low at you. You fend off most of the battle-axe with a black sword.
[You're adeptly balanced and in good position.]
>
A sabre-toothed warcat rolls around on the ground until the flames are extinguished.
The sabre-toothed warcat leaps to its feet, baring its fangs.
>
>
* As if effort and skill were a bad thing, a sabre-toothed warcat lashes out with large, velvet-padded claws extended at you. You block with a damaska-hide buckler.
[You're adeptly balanced and overwhelming your opponent.]
>l war

You see a sabre-toothed warcat.
The sabre-toothed warcat has faint scuffing to the left leg.
The sabre-toothed warcat is in good shape.
It is wearing an iron-spiked leather collar.
It is carrying nothing!

The naphtha itself did no damage.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: PW 10/31/2014 11:45 AM CDT
It might help to note that in initial 3.0/3.1 testing (look, I forget when, ok? I used to drink a lot, my memory is potato) people were using thrown naphtha to down quest bosses in seconds. It was quite literally 'boss spawns, person a throws vial/jug person b throws lit branch boss dies'.

So they toned the damage way down, and change the mechanics around it a bit. Now it sucks because it's balanced to use 'more potent' styles which haven't been able to be coded yet because kodius has to sleep once a month.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: PW 10/31/2014 12:31 PM CDT
>>So they toned the damage way down, and change the mechanics around it a bit. Now it sucks because it's balanced to use 'more potent' styles which haven't been able to be coded yet because kodius has to sleep once a month.

Well, the mechanic changed to do primarily vitality damage up to a certain point, which won't show up from looking at the target using a single dose of naphtha. It was also changed so that a creature has a contested decision to roll, followed by a rolling process that leaves it actually prone for that duration.

Regarding PW, a lot of what's been mentioned has left it a bit less useful than it was envisioned to be when its effects were plotted out.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: PW 10/31/2014 12:46 PM CDT
I didn't think it was intended to be lame. Just turned out that way.
Consider my suggestion. Change it into a debilitation spell and make it sort of like the old shockwave. No damage but will knock back everything at melee. Maybe even knock all/some down or out of the room completely.
But I was never a fan of naptha anyway. Even less so now. Maybe I just miss one of my favorite spells. Either way I just killed the whole tree and got 10 slots back. Thank god it's still free lol.

Re: PW 10/31/2014 01:50 PM CDT
PW was also the pilot for nin-damaging targeted. There is somethingsomethin to be said for a "debilitation" that isn't a stat contest... but im not sure what exactly is to be said for it.

I like that pulsing idea a lot, would give the pull vatiant especially some umph... also make the paladins jealous?

Shockwave still has the area knockback so I don't see the advantage in PW replicating that. Replicating that. Throw-from-the-room is pretty situational, too.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: PW 10/31/2014 03:22 PM CDT
Mildly off topic, but I would love a spell that had the effect of "Your target is now ON FIRE EVERYWHERE" like old Dragon's Breath with the potency of burnination being tied to the success of the hit.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: PW 10/31/2014 05:09 PM CDT
I was thinking that as I typed it Robertdh. I guess I just miss that CRACK when you break ribs. It was a very good single target air spell with an occasional bonus hit. It was a big part of my PVP arsenal along with two DHX.

Re: PW 10/31/2014 08:46 PM CDT
>along with two DHX

Do you mean DSX?
Re: PW 11/01/2014 01:23 PM CDT
>>There is somethingsomethin to be said for a "debilitation" that isn't a stat contest... but im not sure what exactly is to be said for it.

It means that if you can hit someone(critter) with TM you will always be able to successfully use that debilitation on them(it). Rather than worrying about if one of their 3 stats is higher which might cause it to fail, plus diminishing effects. On top of that TM is primary so should be one of your highest skills. I would love a debilitation that only used a skill out of my primary skillset to contest.
Re: PW 11/01/2014 03:55 PM CDT
>It means that if you can hit someone(critter) with TM you will always be able to successfully use that debilitation on them(it). Rather than worrying about if one of their 3 stats is higher which might cause it to fail, plus diminishing effects. On top of that TM is primary so should be one of your highest skills. I would love a debilitation that only used a skill out of my primary skillset to contest.

I can definitely see the appeal, but I fear that this would diminish the value of the Debilitation skill. Plus, the stat contest model helps to balance debilitation abilities and this would circumvent that, which probably isn't good, long term, for game balance.
Re: PW 11/02/2014 06:09 AM CST
>>I can definitely see the appeal, but I fear that this would diminish the value of the Debilitation skill. Plus, the stat contest model helps to balance debilitation abilities and this would circumvent that, which probably isn't good, long term, for game balance.

Oh I agree with you, and really wasn't asking for more of this as it would be bad in the long term. I was just trying to point out the positives in how PW is setup regardless if it is effective or not.
Re: PW 12/10/2014 01:45 AM CST
The thing that makes PW pretty useless isn't the pull or the drawback itself, it's more that the time it takes to target the spell is not worth the same time you can dish out either a TM spell or a real debilitation spell. To me, it seems about the same tier as a cantrip as far as use. Something that could provide it addition use is if it was a targeted debilitation spell. One that would keep the effect for a duration. Such as keeping a creature or player knocked back or in melee range.

I enjoyed PW before it was changed. It didn't seem like a generic cookie cutter TM spell. It's main use was that it didn't need to be targeted. It was prep, fire, and forget. Very useful spell. Shockwave essentially does the same thing now as a AOE with a longer target time.

- Erixx