BURGLE Updates 07/23/2020 10:26 PM CDT
I've made a couple of changes to BURGLing.

First, you will now receive a message about why you're being arrested.

Second, you can now be arrested for being too close to your inventory limit.

Both changes will be live in Prime and Plat momentarily, and Fallen will follow later if nothing explodes.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: BURGLE Updates 07/27/2020 11:52 AM CDT
A couple of questions:

How close is close? Will we be warned or just immediately hit with a huge fine?

Why would you choose to immediately be arrested and penalize the player for what is clearly a mechanical limitation of the system? Wouldn't a warning to the player preventing the burgling until they reduce their item count suffice? I get that you don't want people to break the game by poofing to the junkyard from inside a burgle, but those fines can be upwards of 1k plat, and you didn't even explain how close is "close."
Re: BURGLE Updates 07/27/2020 01:53 PM CDT
How about just preventing Burgle from working if you have too many items as well as improving the inventory command so we get an exact number or items.
Fines are ridiculously high, especially for that rare new person to the game..... oh caught burgling, they think no problem.
Bam 500 plat fine... they barely have 2 plat to their name and first offense strips all items and cash.
they then realize how unforgiving the system is and quit before even first month sub ends or even before they decide to sub.
Re: BURGLE Updates 07/27/2020 02:06 PM CDT

>How close is close? Will we be warned or just immediately hit with a huge fine?

Answer popped up in a different thread, within 10 items of limit.

Jalika
Re: BURGLE Updates 07/27/2020 02:21 PM CDT
>How close is close? Will we be warned or just immediately hit with a huge fine?
They explained here on the forums how close is close:
10 items or fewer inside your maximum inventory limit.

They also explained the messaging you can check to see if you're within that range:
INV CHECK: If you use INV CHECK, and get the messaging "You are carrying more than X items! Please reduce your inventory count IMMEDIATELY!" that's the exact same range that will get you arrested.

It's also on elanthipedia, on the Burgle command page, the Breaking and Entering page and the Inventory as a concept page:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:BURGLE_Updates_-_07/23/2020_-_22:26
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:BURGLE_Updates_-_07/23/2020_-_22:55
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Post:BURGLE_Updates_-_07/25/2020_-_13:12
Re: BURGLE Updates 07/28/2020 06:59 AM CDT
Any chance we could get something more precise from INV CHECK? Right now, the ranges come back in increments of 50, and the warning appears to kick in at 76, not 90.

Ragge hands over your lockpick.

>
WARNING: You are carrying most of your inventory's capacity on your person.
It is recommended that you reduce your inventory count below 75 items.
99 is the maximum you can carry before being subjected to the junk room.

You can use the INVENTORY CHECK command to see roughly how many you have.
If you have a gem pouch or a bundle, consider tying it to lower your count.
[Note: TIE POUCH or TIE BUNDLE. You will NOT be able to get stuff out after!]
[Because your account is free, you don't have access to increased inventory capacity (up to 300 items). To purchase access, visit www.play.net/dr/store .]
> stow l

You put your lockpick in your rucksack.
>

inv check
You are carrying between 50 and 100 items on you.

[Because your account is free, you don't have access to increased inventory capacity (up to 300 items). To purchase access, visit www.play.net/dr/store .]

[Use INVENTORY HELP for more options.]

I was able to buy 23 more lockpicks and was sent to the junkroom at 24. INV CHECK does give a different message at over 90.
Yes, I know about lockkpick rings, I just wanted something cheap to use to test the inv limit and messaging.
Re: BURGLE Updates 07/28/2020 01:51 PM CDT
>the warning appears to kick in at 76, not 90.

That appears to be the automated messaging, not the messaging in INV CHECK. The exact messaging that indicates the issue is found in INV CHECK: "You are carrying more than X items! Please reduce your inventory count IMMEDIATELY!"

X is different for F2P, F2P with an inventory upgrade, and subscribers, but the rest of the messaging is the same.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: BURGLE Updates 07/29/2020 02:49 PM CDT
A more exact Inventory count would be a great QoL update.
My character has high stats in all attributes , but can't count how many items he is wearing.
yet can count a stack of ammo or other items into the hundreds.
definately time to update this verb.
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/06/2020 02:18 PM CDT
Is it just me, or is BURGLE an under-developed mechanic? There's no sense of progress.

You just [hide, get lockpick, burgle, search counter, go window] every hour and that's it -- and get 17/34 in two skills, a little bit of stealth, and maybe some coin. There's no risk, you can't try for harder or easier houses, no planning or preparation needed, and you can even stay in a single room your whole lifetime if you wanted to and still burgle.

But when you look at all other skills, there's a ladder of progression. For combat, you have to move to a new hunting ground or you just won't learn -- and which critter you decide to hunt varies according to your priorities (skinnable, boxes, undead/construct, distance). For crafting, you have to make more difficult pieces; scouting, more difficult trails; magic, harder spells; athletics, harder walls; etc. etc.

Currently, BURGLING makes it feel like it's made lockpicking and thievery about as easy and satisfying to train as Attunement. Just slightly move around, type a few commands, and then forget about it for an hour. Which is too bad, because Thievery was actually quite fun to train, up until I discovered BURGLE a week ago or so. I didn't mind getting thrown into jail -- my only complaint as a F2P is having to pay fines.

Anyway, I know it's probably a lot of work, but shouldn't BURGLE have some kind of ladder progression to it? Like certain JUSTICE rooms are harder or easier to BURGLE -- or how about having to do some actual preparation, like buying blueprints off of someone, or doing some reconnaissance before you enter so you know the guard patrol/layout? Make it so you have to figure out which entry is safest/most rewarding xp-wise (i.e. window, chimney, cellar). And let XP be awarded by how far you enter, like reaching the safe room vs. foyer, and what you steal (i.e. chandelier giving athleticism, avoiding traps giving perception, picking safe giving lockpicking, detecting magical wards, etc.) I think this could be a very fun and interesting mechanic!
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/06/2020 02:52 PM CDT

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Stealing_list

There's your stealing progression.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/07/2020 06:03 AM CDT
>Is it just me, or is BURGLE an under-developed mechanic?

It may not be just you, but I for one couldn't disagree more (and I know there are more out there like me). Burgle is great, and there should be more skills that utilize this design philosophy, especially since BURGLE was an addition. If you like the old way, it's still available. That was an awesome choice for the devs to make.

>because Thievery was actually quite fun to train

Having trained about 700-800 ranks the old way, I fundamentally disagree. I'm glad you enjoy it and that it is still available to train, but I hated it and it ruined my ranger bonus.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/07/2020 03:13 PM CDT

I'm with Hanryu on this tambien. Burgle has helped me learn thievery. I had quit learning thievery (or stealing as it was called at that time) due to how much pain it was to learn for a ranger. You had to be in town, which fried our bonus and it took a while to do, especially if you had to find some harder things to steal. I'm learning thievery well right now, which I am sure will change soon, because my thievery was so bad. But, even then one can do it once in a wilderness justice area, which doesn't fry our bonus to bad.

Only thing would be if you find a keepsake box to have it teach some perception. Say only learn perception 2-3 times while you're locking and picking that box.

I'm all for making systems that make skills easy to learn, not make you treat it like a full time job.

Bluefalcon
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/10/2020 11:54 AM CDT
>> Is it just me, or is BURGLE an under-developed mechanic? There's no sense of progress...
...I discovered BURGLE a week ago or so. <<<

If you just discovered it a week ago, it is much to soon for you to even know if their is much progression or not.

But anyways, I disagree. I finally have a decent way to train athleticism which was nearly impossible before and I would like Burgle left alone.

My only MAJOR concern with burgle is this new change. Make it so we can't burgle if we have to many items. What kind of fascist society arrests people for owning too many things?
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/10/2020 12:32 PM CDT
>My only MAJOR concern with burgle is this new change. Make it so we can't burgle if we have to many items. What kind of fascist society arrests people for owning too many things?

America doesn't run the risk of corruption if someone owns too many things.

.... Well, memory/data corruption at least.
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/11/2020 08:56 AM CDT

After thinking about this more overnight, I realized I might be in favor of some of Melanie10's ideas, IF they only applied to the Thieves Guild. Thievery, like most DR skills, is something anyone can learn and do. (Well, almost anyone). It would make sense to me that adventurers that actually join the Thieves Guild are able to learn more advanced ways of burgling for either advanced exp or profits. (Or both)
For non-thieves, this one would prefer things left alone.
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/11/2020 01:05 PM CDT
Thieves already have a bonus for how often they can B&E which equates to more experience. Survival primary guilds already have a bonus for potential profit by the rooms they may unlock. It's already easy enough to gain exp and profit from B&E, IMO.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Breaking_and_Entering

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/15/2020 02:23 PM CDT

The gains could be minor, I feel like maybe what Melanie is looking for is for it to be more interesting?

I like it the way it is because I'm old and lazy. :D
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/18/2020 12:16 AM CDT
There's just no progression with burgle. Now that I've made a script, I'll just run the same script for 1750 ranks. The exp is overly-generous, especially compared to alternatives. The risk is all binary, and in 400 runs I haven't had an incident with my script. This system is the most anti-rank/anti-exp/anti-stat system I've ever seen in DR.

I'm torn. On one hand, I've always wanted breaking and entering. I've always felt that shoplifting was overly punitive, especially for non-thieves. But this implementation really lacks some of the nuance that makes DR so interesting.

Also, I feel like players aren't complaining because the exp is generous. But suddenly there's a bunch of survival skills that became trivial to train. I don't get it. And I'm surprised that so many people seem to like it because it's easy.
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/18/2020 06:34 PM CDT
Shoplifting isn't as bad as it used to be, but all roads lead to the same destination. You're going to script it, use lich to script it, or just buy a paid tool like the progressive stealing script. Why? Because it's not feasible or efficient to do by hand. Scripting is all but a necessity to do this without personal injury.

> Also, I feel like players aren't complaining because the exp is generous

I think almost no one is complaining and many, many more people like this system than dislike it. It's a good system. It's one of the few systems which doesn't need to be scripted, and it's rewarding. It doesn't need to be messed with.
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/18/2020 10:09 PM CDT
>>DRSCOTT

DRSCOTT perfectly articulates my feelings about the burglary system.

I was able to fund several brand new characters from rank 0 using the burglary system with no incidents. My newly-minted Trader's highest skill is Thievery by a significant margin. It's such a good trainer that it's really hard to abstain from it, even if it doesn't make a ton of sense for a given character.

Before people jump down my throat -- I played a Thief for ages and ages, and wrote one of the scripts that used to circulate for shoplifting back in the dark times before genie was widespread. I know that pain.

But this is very nearly just pushing an EXP button, unless some sort of unforeseen OOC mishap occurs (ISP issues, power outage, child eating dirt, dirt eating child).

EXP buttons will of course be wildly popular. Burglary system aside, they are easy to make. They are easy to sell for $$$, people will always buy them and heap praises upon systems that implement them. But they are bad for the long term health of the game.

Burglary is a system with loads of potential, but its execution needs improvement.

-- Qihhth et al

'One Room DR' Delenda Est!
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/19/2020 06:54 AM CDT
At this point, there's no reason not to have some kind of EXP buttons unless you are absolutely comfortable for the game's design to be focused wholly on the culmination of maxing out every skill through a long and utterly boring, mindless grind that rewards..what? Everyone is going to have a heap of utility skill ranks that really do nothing once a threshold is reached. Beyond TDP farming, thievery, athletics, skinning, first aid, scholarship, performance and so on offer little in helping you navigate the game world or provide any meaningful substance to a player's abilities. Beyond roleplay reasons (let's be honest here; almost everyone is training everything or are training the majority of skills, so nobody is genuinely unique) they're fluff skills.

Game design should be wholly focused on mitigating the spam in the game world. The design should seek to improve the immediate function of the skill in unique and interesting ways that provide a sense of accomplishment and immersion when utilizing said skills. The team should look for more methods of training, or improving on the current mechanics, by bundling multiple skills together with single actions (like combat and magic training but with utility/lores thrown in). The constant repetitiveness of training is absolutely unhealthy for the game. In modern Dragonrealms, I'm willing to bet that we see more of our own screen spam than we'll see of an entire week's worth of social conversation (within the game world itself, not lnet/discord). Streamlining the player experience to spend less time in combat and training is something that has been needed for an absurdly long time.

I understand that some players will feel that the ranks they gained over the years and years of a constantly shifting core system design are somehow made to be worthless or that there is some inherent unfairness in the progress toward something sane. We should spend less time responding to our own training and more time finding ways to make training interesting, rewarding and less demanding of game time to remain competitive/efficient while retaining a sense of accomplishment that the grind does offer. It's just..too much grinding now.
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/19/2020 08:05 AM CDT
>>Beyond TDP farming, thievery, athletics, skinning, first aid, scholarship, performance and so on offer little in helping you navigate the game

I think this is the rub. I'm not saying it should be hard to train Thievery for the sake of being hard, or that the systems should be designed so that they're difficult to script. What good game design looks like, to me, is for the skills you mentioned to have something to offer, some reason why you would actually want to train them.

For a good example of an engaging Thievery system, see the Throne Museum. There are many ways to engage with that system; you can attempt to attack it with pure skill, you can steal things from the museum that makes it easier to steal from the museum, you can seek support from other players to help, either directly or via purchased enchantments. The rewards offered (at one time) were singular, there were some things that almost anyone could get and some things that were considered difficult to get / pinnacle items. It required some amount of player knowledge to engage with. People did (maybe still do?) museum raids just for fun. Because it was fun. I don't see anyone grouping up to engage with the burglary system.

Good game design isn't making useless skills easy to train, it's making useless skills useful, reasonable to engage in without sophisticated scripts, and reasonable to train with reasonable risk/reward trade offs.

If you like EXPs buttons, you may as well go roll up a half halfling tickle-mimic in progress quest. And honestly, if all you want is to keep people hitting the button or shelling out for that MT item, a fixed ratio, fixed interval reward schedule is not the way to do it.

-- Qihhth et al

'One Room DR' Delenda Est!
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/19/2020 09:44 AM CDT

> My newly-minted Trader's highest skill is Thievery by a significant margin.

Lore prime. Survival / Armor secondary? Lore is terrible in general, and if you aren't in combat then survival skills you keep locked will keep going up? And don't worry. It slows down as you gain more ranks. You'll have years of effort before you cap this skill, even as secondary with an EXP button.

> EXP buttons will of course be wildly popular. Burglary system aside, they are easy to make

Right. There should be more of them. They give flexibility. This game is about being on a treadmill for fun. You're not running towards a destination. If you want your treadmill to be flat because that's what you enjoy, then you should be able to get it. If you want your treadmill to be a 45 degree incline with someone throwing rocks at you while you climb, you can get that too. Just don't be mad at the runner next to you because they're having fun in a way that you think is too easy. You don't have to dismantle his treadmill to try and force him to use yours. That's not why they signed up for the gym.

> Burglary is a system with loads of potential, but its execution needs improvement.

This already exists. It's shoplifting. It's a grueling system with frequent and constant changes. If that's the treadmill you want, then use it. I think you won't because it's a less efficient way of getting what you really want out of this game.
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/19/2020 11:26 AM CDT

How easy it is to gain experience is a tricky balancing act. The reality is, we have things from "gaze sano cry" which are no RT/All exp solutions. You have easier systems, like B&E, where you gain more experience and there is some time and some risk, but mitigated with cooldowns and simple commands. Then there are systems like crafting which require a lot of time, tons of tools, and familiarity with the system. I enjoy figuring out some of the complex systems, and writing scripts to be most efficient. All of the above example for me include now "pressing a button" to run that associated script. For some people, that level of testing isn't fun, and they find B&E more accessible than crafting. I'm not saying one way or another is right, but I think players should be able to choose a simpler or more complex system based on your level of enjoyment. Ideally the rewards would be comparable (I think shoplifting exp needs an uptick).

> don't see anyone grouping up to engage with the burglary system.
I hold a weekly Ranger Heist before the Ranger Mentor meeting, usually announcing on the ranger gweth channel and discord. I have a lot of fun with the grouping system, both by helping other players to learn the system (even as simplified as it is, some have felt hesitant to engage with it) and because of the additional time bonuses allowing us to access more rooms.

I was someone who got most of their ranks back in ye olden days, stealing uphill both ways in the snow (without mark). I still utilize the shoplifting system, because I enjoy the skill outside of easy button B&E. I steal lockpicks from the shop for my picking, even though I could just as easily spend the coin to buy it. I steal herbs that don't teach well making via alchemy. I still want to go back and try all those shops to see if I can get the items that have been out of reach. I wish I could use the Museum. There should be better rewards for those who wish to engage with that system. Pawning is still a disaster and the ROI on shoplifting is crazy low.

Jalika
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/19/2020 01:04 PM CDT
<<Good game design isn't making useless skills easy to train, it's making useless skills useful, reasonable to engage in without sophisticated scripts, and reasonable to train with reasonable risk/reward trade offs.>>

I don' use the BURGLE system because it wouldn't be appropriate for my character, but I just wanted to jump in and cosign on the statement above. Very well said. If more systems similar to BURGLE are planned, I'd hope that they would provide uses for the skills involved rather than merely ways to train them. Generally speaking, if a system conceptually uses a skill and awards experience without actually using the character's ranks in any success calculations, that seems like a pretty significant design flaw.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: BURGLE Updates 08/19/2020 09:00 PM CDT
Speaking of which, I'd love to see something like the duskruin bank run. Another burgle like option for non-burglers. Make it use the same CD, so you choose one or the other. Call it patrol.

Something like this...

1. Type patrol to enter the dark alley.
You get some flavor text. Maybe cries for help that lead you into a house. Enter the same the way as burgle to avoid undue suspicion.
Immediate burst of athletics + perception. Rangers get some tracking. Paladins get a little soul and conviction.

It's only a single room, but there are 7 possible nouns to search. Options available are random with each attempt, but what you learn from each attempt is the same each time.
... Dark shadows, sketchy peddler, disheveled building, makeshift shanty, backdoor, shady occultist, and gambler's corner.

2. Search [thing] to get a possible xp reward based on successfully searching the thing. Successful "wins" against each contest give you more xp than a failure (less xp). Conviction & soul for paladins on all successful wins.
....Shadows: Potentially find a thief (stealth + perception). Chase it down (athletics) and call the guards, except thieves who lecture it on the lack of skill (+confidence).
....Peddler: Potentially find contraband (perception + Trading). You can correctly dispose of it at a later time for the skill. It can be traded or sold. F2Ps never see this one.
........Curious vial (alchemy), glowing rod (enchanting), counterfeit sword (forging), threadbare gloves (outfitting), deadly trap (engineering).
........Failure to successfully dispose teaches nothing and may cause harm to yourself.
....Building: Potentially find a gang meeting (perception). You pick the lock and sneak in before scaring them away (lockpicking, performance).
....Shanty: you find a wounded vagabond (100% success). You care for vagabond (first aid + Empathy + bonus Devotion + bonus Soul).
....Backdoor: You find a promiscuous individual hanging around (perception). You convince them to peruse a new career (performance).
....Occultist: Identify the occultist (perception + Theurgy + Conviction + Thanatology??). They make a scene, so you kill them (+brawling, theurgy, conviction, devotion). Necromancer, cleric, and paladin only.
....Corner: Determine if the dealer is legitimate (perception + trading). Break up the game (performance), except traders who play the game (trading + coins).

3. Footsteps message is still around. Except not leaving the alley in time won't get you arrested. You get shiv'd or mugged if you're around too long.

4. The contests flex, but buffs help you win them.

5. Paladins get pretty strong bonuses via their spells or glyphs, perhaps more time, and a reduced CD.

6. Type go street to leave the alley
No skill bonuses on exit. You get them on entry.