Repeat Steal Timer and Clan Justice Fixed 08/03/2019 10:30 AM CDT
It came to our attention that the repeat steal timer was completely broken, by my change a year ago to make it based on real time. It's now actually based on real time, and not inversely based on real time (the longer you waited the more penalized you were, but stealing immediately had no penalty).

At the same time, it came to our attention that Clan Justice was not punishing the crime of thievery.

Both of these bugs are now fixed, so be a little more wary of repeat stealing, and stealing from the clans.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Repeat Steal Timer and Clan Justice Fixed 08/03/2019 12:00 PM CDT
Clan guards arrive, an angry glint in their eyes! They immediately notice you and quickly surround you in a circle of brandished weapons.

After a moment the leader steps forward grimly, "So, you thought you could get away with stealing from one of ours. Well I don't know where you come from, but around here we don't take that too well." With that, he steps away and signals to the waiting guards. Before you can even blink, you are trussed up and kneeling before a hooded figure in a mask.

The figure intones solemnly, "I now pronounce sentence.""For your abuses against our people, the sentence is death." With that, his axe swings downward, and all goes black.

Explains why I've never seen this before today. Thanks a lot for the lost scroll, ya jerk*!

~Hunter Hanryu
>*Teasing, :p
Re: Repeat Steal Timer and Clan Justice Fixed 08/03/2019 12:24 PM CDT
As someone who rolled up a Thief character just last week, I'm curious how this affects brand new characters. I found the only thing in Crossing that I had a reliable chance of stealing was water from the alchemist shop and maybe a couple envelopes from Berolts. The timer is long enough that stealing only those 2 items a few times isn't enough to lock it. I vaguely remember years ago being able to steal up to around 8-10 water in a row as a newbie thing, so I tried that. It worked, and got me to around 9/34 so I tried to push my luck, and discovered I was able to steal quite a lot more and was able to lock it. Now I can see that was very likely this bug and won't be possible anymore. This presumably limits a low level thief to around 6-8 items or so per hour which isn't very good. Is there still some kind of low level concession made on water in place to help with this?
Re: Repeat Steal Timer and Clan Justice Fixed 08/03/2019 06:17 PM CDT
A post was hidden

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Repeat Steal Timer and Clan Justice Fixed 08/04/2019 03:45 AM CDT
<<Is there still some kind of low level concession made on water in place to help with this?

So I was able to test this tonight. With 12 ranks of thievery I was able to steal 16 water before having to back off due to starting to be noticed. This got me to 16/34 and with 4 envelopes from Berolt's I was able to get it to 19/34. Not as good as it was a week ago, but it does look like there is still a bit of newbie protection on the water so that's good. 19/34 per cooldown is good enough to get through the first several levels.
Re: Repeat Steal Timer and Clan Justice Fixed 08/06/2019 11:06 AM CDT

What is khri slight supposed to do now? It was said at release this khri would reduce the chance of being caught shoplifting (can be reduced to zero) I assume that was based on skill /stats or relationship of thievery ranks to difficulty of the shoplifting item? After testing even moderate items with khri slight up your auto failing after 2-3 grabs.
Re: Repeat Steal Timer and Clan Justice Fixed 08/07/2019 07:39 AM CDT

Javac, it looks like you fixed part of the steal timer bug. The other part was that mark was not showing the accumalation of heat as you steal more items from the same shops.

See https://elanthipedia.play.net/Mark#Shops the Shopkeeper Attention section. Mark now does not go beyond level 1 (shouldn't really affect you) no matter how many repetitive times you have stolen in the shop. This is a problem for a lot of thieves who use this metric to determine when to stop stealing.

I would appreciate if you could look into this.

Thanks.
Re: Repeat Steal Timer and Clan Justice Fixed 08/07/2019 08:42 AM CDT
>What is khri slight supposed to do now?

It does the same thing it used to do. It lets you get away with more difficult steals with a smaller chance of getting caught, and it lets you steal things below you with no chance of rolling snake eyes. It never affected repeat steal penalty.

>The other part was that mark was not showing the accumalation of heat as you steal more items from the same shops.

I think this will be an easy fix, will hopefully be done later today.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Repeat Steal Timer and Clan Justice Fixed 08/07/2019 01:24 PM CDT
>>The other part was that mark was not showing the accumalation of heat as you steal more items from the same shops.
>I think this will be an easy fix, will hopefully be done later today.

MARK should be fixed now.

Javac
That one guy