Thievery - Lack of Risk vs Reward? 04/13/2019 04:55 PM CDT
Just a small question/complaint regarding stealing since resubbing post Javac's changes -

<<Moving stealthily, you manage to grab a beret right from underneath the seamstress Marcipur's very nose.
<<You learned exceptionally well from this nearly impossible theft.

Is this seriously meant to move thievery 0-1 mindstate per "nearly impossible" item? Because that's what I'm seeing after most stealing runs now. That is very contrary to the "learned exceptionally well" messaging. On a run through Crossing/Arthe, one or two shops I would get 0 or 2 mindstates from (the 2 mindstate grab usually following a 0 one,) and the majority are just a single jump. I aim for the hardest theft I can pull off from every shop, and regardless of whether I get busted or get away with it entirely, it teaches the same (and it's barely any experience at all.)

51 ranks thievery, managed to make grabs in 9/10 shops (8 nearly impossible thefts, 1 extremely difficult, 1 complete failure.) Finished at 5/34, with a peak of 8/34, stealing run lasting less than 5 minutes total. It just seems a very low return in experience investment given the risk being taken on the items stolen, especially compared to how it was before.
Re: Thievery - Lack of Risk vs Reward? 04/14/2019 07:15 PM CDT
Thievery seems to be viewed as 'free money' for some reason. The systems around it are really punitive.

I'd just as soon remove the PVP aspect, or make it a dual flag of some type, permanently, and overhaul the system a bit more.

Unless you're at the cap of stealing and running in a fairly remote location, the pawn shops are usually saturated and won't buy your goods.

It's not super amazing for gearing up since you need hundreds of ranks to steal middling gear; by the time you can steal it you could just go punch a goblin and make the cash to buy it faster.

I wish there was something a bit more like the recent heist, where you could run a simplified 'quest' to generate some EXP with an appropriate risk. Possibly pairing it with no immediate reward but some type of over time generated reward structure, heck use a system like the crafting tasks; go steal XYZ for a work order.

I loved the idea of stealing, but it always seemed lacking in the execution. I read a suggest about allowing players to 'steal then replace' items for more reward with no actual payout. That could be fun. Having to sneak into a place and plant a document or bug or steal a document or undo something another player did, steal some paperwork in a political intrigue, sabotage an opponent's instrument for a bard competition, etc.
Re: Thievery - Lack of Risk vs Reward? 04/27/2019 11:26 AM CDT
<< Is this seriously meant to move thievery 0-1 mindstate per "nearly impossible" item?

I can tell you that some compromises were made as one of the main goals was to make thievery routes more accessible and easier to set up. Previously i had to run crossing, clans, arthe, leth, ilaya taipa to get a mind lock. Now it takes me only the shops in crossing area (around 10).

As the intended outcome was to reduce the amount of travel you're now supposed to spend more time working in each shop and that's why the learning caps are pretty firm. To hit the sweet spot you're supposed to get 5 or more items per shop and thus spend around 25+ seconds in each shop, gaining 4-5 mindstates. This way you just don't have to travel between as many shops as you did before.
Re: Thievery - Lack of Risk vs Reward? 05/02/2019 09:51 AM CDT
You will earn a lot more experience if you steal 6-8 easier items from each shop, rather than one difficult grab. Aim for the message that you "learned acceptably from this theft", and steal ~6 of those.
Re: Thievery - Lack of Risk vs Reward? 05/02/2019 11:08 AM CDT
Also... rexp is your friend for thievery, where the cost is so high. makes the reward sweeter.

I'm still averaging a plat a rank (at 70 ranks) but hopefully that will go down now that I've started training it again...
Re: Thievery - Lack of Risk vs Reward? 05/24/2019 05:04 AM CDT
Bit late to the party, but now that I'm training thievery again I have to say I really love the new system.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's awesome.