Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/24/2018 09:10 AM CDT

This is something that's been brought up in multiple other threads, and moved past, but this needs a moment of consideration. A game built on ranks, stats, and skill checks should not grant such a large mechanical advantage without any type of control. Pulsing invisibility, instant stealth, granting hidden immunity without any kind of skillcheck should not be a thing. It breaks target, aim, requires someone potentially thousands of ranks of perception above you to manually search and spend that roundtime (in which you could react or get away) to find you. Allow for passive perception checks against targets you're engaged with pulsing into invisibility, at least. Grant the spot effect so you can continue to act against them without breaking things like AIM/TARGET.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 10:00 AM CDT
>requires someone potentially thousands of ranks of perception above you

lol wut... bugs aside, it's a regular stealth check.

As a survival prime, I'm totally on board with the concept... With the removal of watch. All current inviso modes are broken and need looked at. But I'd argue that you can't gripe about mechanical crutches with no skill checks and not include watch in that. Not when they are so closely tied together for PVP.

That being said, losing aim and target is fair if you don't pass the perc check. But there should be no reason why someone with vastly lower stealth ranks than your perc should be able to be immune to your perception just because they have inviso. Even if the inviso or stun hider gave a hiding boost so that it could still work as intended as your emergency button. Passive spot effect needs to be a thing. Even if it needs to be activated via the WATCH verb (that way you don't have a room full of scroll when you walk outside the bank and see Joebob who is hiding x50). That would make far more sense. You are watching for someone, so you are more likely to see them in hiding if you have the skill for it. I would absolutely roll these changes together as it would be a large QOL upgrade for both sides.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 01:17 PM CDT

>>lol wut... bugs aside, it's a regular stealth check.

Invisibility pulses from RF, Silence, EOTB and the hider cuffs do NOT have any skill check involved. They put you into invis/hiding with no skill check for spot effect or point. That is not a regular stealth check. That invis pulse breaks AIM, breaks TARGET, and removes ones ability to act against you (granting a heavy mechanical advantage) until roundtime is spent searching (and for some actions pointing as well).

Removing watch has nothing to do with this. Rebalancing stealth is a whole other animal. I am talking about strictly these buggy, broken, non checked mechanics. If you want to campaign more for watch to be removed, bring it up in an appropriate thread.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 02:05 PM CDT
What I meant was, if you search, it’s just like the player used HIDE to find them. It’s not like magical ranks being added. I wasn’t in disagreement that there should be checks.

And I will absolutely lobby for balance any time someone wants to play the one sided game of “tweak this but not that” because that’s how balance is achieved. Bandaid fixes are just that. If you want balance, then balance as you go. Otherwise we end up with more of what we have.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 02:12 PM CDT

Watch was not created to counter the immunity granted by pulsing inviso. Watch was created to attempt to balance stealth as a whole. Watch has no impact on invis pulses avoiding skillchecks (which nothing in this game should do), therefor has legitimately zero play in this discussion. I understand it's your sore point, and you need to get it in there every time you can, but really, start a thread on stealth re-balancing, watch re-tuning, but don't keep dumping your baggage on every topic-adjacent post.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 02:44 PM CDT
>Watch was not created to counter the immunity granted by pulsing inviso. Watch was created to attempt to balance stealth as a whole.

Watch does not exist in a vacuum. It is part of a complicated ecosystem built around stealth.

Removing what amounts to a survival prime perk (invisibility) without countering what amounts to a survival prime penalty (watch) is a net loss for the survival prime guilds.

Watch also works for everyone, while invisibility requires a massive financial outlay of 20$, or investing at least one or more very limited skill slots on.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 02:50 PM CDT
For the record I am 100% fine with -- and believe it's actually good game design -- for magical items to be capable of bypassing skill checks in the specific situation in which they are meant to function (e.g. stun hiders, anti-locate devices), provided the use of those magical items is available to everyone.

The abilities that are available to players should not, under any circumstances, bypass skill checks anywhere in the process of their function. That is antithetical to what the game is regardless of what the design documents may have indicated a decade or two ago. I'm not a fan of DFA, for the record, because DFA is not available to all guilds -- although if you want to give Barbarians a BERSERK LIGHTNING that allowed them to make regular attacks ignore shield checks, that'd be super (and, I believe, mean every guild would have a DFA).

The development goals are multitude, obviously, but if thought is not given to improving problems within the current paradigm, e.g. bypassing skill checks with abilities or putting in huge roundtimes or making basic training activities multi-step in an attempt to discourage scripting of an activity (which is ridiculous on its face, for the record, because it just makes people more likely to seek out scripts or write them because who wants to stare at a monitor for 52 seconds waiting on roundtime?). These things should be addressed at the highest priority and to see new releases exacerbate existing problems is, bluntly, more frustrating than not seeing any development at all.

Yes, this is a "can't win" scenario for the staff; except they very obviously can win: address the problems, publish the standards, and develop in accordance with them.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 03:05 PM CDT

>>Removing what amounts to a survival prime perk (invisibility) without countering what amounts to a survival prime penalty (watch) is a net loss for the survival prime guilds.

This is the problem, right here. I'm not trying to remove invisibility, or any survival prime perks, I'm trying to get a longstanding issue addressed. And to clarify- invisibility isn't limited to survival primes, so stop referring it to you like it (in it's currently MASSIVELY broken iteration) is a perk owed to you by skillset. It is a broken ability bypassing skill checks, giving an extreme mechanical advantage in pvp. Why is there so much hate over adding skillchecks to something that should have been run through contests from the beginning? If you're beating people because of invisibility pulsing not letting them spot you, then chances are you shouldn't be fighting them to begin with.

So, how about some redname love? Can we at least get that head-nod that these pulses should be contested, maybe acknowledge something needs to happen here?
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 03:21 PM CDT
>>Removing what amounts to a survival prime perk (invisibility) without countering what amounts to a survival prime penalty (watch) is a net loss for the survival prime guilds.

Moon Mages are going to be super disappointed to learn they're no longer going to have invisibility as it's a Survival prime perk.

(Again, the skill set perk problem is not something you want to bring up with Barbarians.)
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 03:22 PM CDT
Right now invisibility is necessary to even land backstab sometimes due to counters to stealth. Even then, you really have to work to time it right against some guilds. I see invisibility as no more harmful than instant retreat or hangback spells/abilities.

I think the current stealth paradigm is fine, including invis. I'm a bigger fan of making sure every guild has effective tools to keep someone from near immunity while they're attacking, and nearly every guild does have good tools. The few that don't should have (better) tools.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 03:32 PM CDT

>>I see invisibility as no more harmful than instant retreat or hangback spells/abilities.

Uh no. It completely shuts down TM/Aiming with a ranged because at top ends it pulses faster than target/aim completion, and even fires off if they're incapacitated. Its granting a mechanical advantage with NO skill check. Justifying something completely broken as a balancing mechanic is why we're in the position we are with a lot of things. I personally DO think the stealth contest at level in pvp for a thief is too hard at the moment. I also see them getting all kinds of development to fix the situation they're in in alternative ways. If stealth (and watch) need to be re-tuned/re calibrated, then do so. Don't desperately cling to bad mechanics in hopes they'll succeed where balancing failed.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 03:45 PM CDT
>>Right now invisibility is necessary to even land backstab sometimes due to counters to stealth. Even then, you really have to work to time it right against some guilds.

Yes, it appears the core design feature of Thieves may need addressing. If the only solution is to ignore skill checks then it is not viable if the game's model is otherwise going to be skill based.

>>I see invisibility as no more harmful than instant retreat or hangback spells/abilities.

These are not comparable issues at all; retreat/hangback is a nuanced and complex issue where general populace playability and simulationist desires are warring against each other. Neither, for the record, bypasses a skill check. They're just heavily weighted to the retreater.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 08:07 PM CDT
We seem to be rehashing the same stealth rhetoric for/against watch over multiple threads. A GM has responded that although there are no current plans for changes, it is something they are aware and want to change.

Further discussion on this issue should be taken to the Equine Cemetery.

While there, please be respectful of one another.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 08:21 PM CDT

>>We seem to be rehashing the same stealth rhetoric for/against watch over multiple threads.

This thread, as per the title, is about something completely different, and I encouraged the watch campaign to take it to a more appropriate place. That being said, THIS issue has not been acknowledged by the GMs to my knowledge, so I would appreciate this thread being left alive until we can get some kind of clarity.
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 09:24 PM CDT
It is fine to not consider the entire thread dead, but further discussion should be moved, as Helje requested.

Behind the scenes discussion of invisibility thus far left us with two points of clarity:

-- We don't want invisibility and hiding to be identical.

-- To really fix this, we will need to make adjustments to all the forms of invisibility, along with all the systems that interact with those forms of invisibility, and we may also have to go through an undetermined number of the rooms in the game to make sure they're set up for whatever we've done with invisibility, once we've made adjustments.

Since determining those two things, the only approved project that even tangentially touches on invisibility is GM Javac's reworking of Khri, which was not an extensive rewrite of Thief invisibility, nor was it a deep dive into any of the systems that any of the forms of invisibility interact with.

As we bring new staff up to speed, invisibility will remain on the list of systems to be triaged for review and adjustment. (This means that there are things we'd like to do with it, and they'll be weighed against things that are too broken to function, and projects that can be tackled by people who are available to tackle them.)

When Javac returns from vacation next week, he might have something more to add.

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 09:34 PM CDT

Thanks Io for touching on the real subject here. So, would we be incorrect in assuming that the GM/current design perspective is one which invisibility pulses should not be granting mechanical advantages (near immunity from some sources) without a skill check?
Re: Zero skill check invisibility and hiding 06/25/2018 09:57 PM CDT
The discussions I've been part of haven't gotten as far as "Now we have the staff to be able to work on it, it should be X or Y or Z."

We know the various systems need more updating, but that's all I can speak to.

Iocanthe
Doing stuff