Auto point in PvE? 05/15/2018 11:36 AM CDT

Haven't had much experience with stealthy critters, but I have noticed auto point on initial engagements on multiple types, including River Sprites:

You notice a river sprite as it stealthily closes to pole weapon range on you.
You point at a river sprite, ruining its attempt to advance unnoticed.

and

You notice a river sprite slip into a hiding place.
You point at a river sprite, ruining its attempt to hide.
A river sprite screeches in irritation.

But sometimes, this still happens, breaking aim/targeting and generally being an obnoxious pain, melee attacks don't even recognize a target in the room:

You notice a river sprite slip into a hiding place.

No auto point, just see it slip into hiding, and combat maneuvers (attack, aim, advance) cease to function against that target until I manually search and point, wasting roundtime. It also breaks aim and targeting, even though I clearly see them hide. Is there a legitimate reason for this, or just wonky, broken mechanics?

I know there are issues with stealth breaking both aim and target in pvp, as well, even when you see the target hide.
Re: Auto point in PvE? 05/15/2018 11:39 AM CDT
For the record, that sprite that hid without an auto point was the one I was facing, at melee, and actively attacking before it hid
Re: Auto point in PvE? 05/16/2018 06:55 AM CDT
Was it the only sprite in the room? Did you use point all to bring it from hiding? Try that next time you have the spot effect. How long did you wait to point after it hid? You can lose the spot effect and your ability to point. Spot effect means the limited amount of time you can see someone/thing in hiding and can act on them in hiding. If you see them in the room description and it says “who/that is hiding” then you should be able to act on them still. Spot effect will go away after a bit.

No it does not generally work like that in pvp. There’s other broken things in stealth like EOTB, but if the sprites are using core stealth and not some wonky inviso or something, you shouldn’t have those issues.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Auto point in PvE? 05/16/2018 10:29 AM CDT

>>Was it the only sprite in the room?

Yes, that time

>>Did you use point all to bring it from hiding?

That is the point of this post. Sometimes you auto point things at melee you're fighting, sometimes it appears you don't. I'm not sure if you misunderstood my original post. It was at melee, actively fighting me, and even though I saw it hide, it did not auto point. As well, if I see something hide, why can I not act against it with attack, aim, target, cast, fire? Why should a failed contest grant a mechanical advantage that costs me roundtime?

And on pvp and inviso, god don't get me started. Zero skill check on an inviso pulse granting immunity to combat maneuvers unless you spend roundtime searching and pointing before you aim/target/attack again. Has been one of the most ridiculous, broken things in pvp in a very, very long time. Someone that is hundreds, potentially even a thousand ranks below you should not be granted such a heavy mechanical advantage without even a skillcheck involved. (Yes, Refractive Field (and SoV), Silence, EotB, I'm looking at you.)
Re: Auto point in PvE? 05/17/2018 06:03 PM CDT
I didn’t misunderstand. Sometimes the mechanics behind it are wonky. I’ve found using point all to be easier than relying on the auto point in some cases. I don’t know if it resets something on the backend or what. I have noticed spot effect working correctly in different instances. That’s why I mentioned it. I never know if it’s something funky with abilities or what. It was an attempt to offer another possible solution that may help narrow down the breakdown in the code.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.