Locked in a room by stealthy advancing critters 02/24/2018 10:37 AM CST
So... I can't move to a different room because I'm "in combat" with a critter I can't see, and I can't retreat from it because I don't know it's there to retreat from.

Which is it? Am I in combat, or am I not in combat? If I'm in combat, I should be able to retreat. If I'm not in combat, I should be able to move to a different room. The current implementation makes no sense. How would I even know that I'm in combat if I can't see the thing advancing me? If I don't know (which of course I wouldn't) that wouldn't stop me from leaving the room.

This mechanic is really broken and needs looking at.
Re: Locked in a room by stealthy advancing critters 02/24/2018 01:18 PM CST
This is why retreating isn't fully skill based and you can RNG your way away from a creature or pvp engagement. It's pretty annoying in pvp. Even if I outclass you, you can retreat, even if you don't know you are in combat. If you spam retreat 10 times or so you should be fine.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Locked in a room by stealthy advancing critters 02/24/2018 01:53 PM CST
> This is why retreating isn't fully skill based and you can RNG your way away from a creature or pvp engagement. It's pretty annoying in pvp. Even if I outclass you, you can retreat, even if you don't know you are in combat. If you spam retreat 10 times or so you should be fine.

What? No.

If a stealthy creature is advancing on you, no amount of spamming retreat will let you retreat from it; the system will always respond that you are already full retreated. And yet some mysterious force will prevent you from leaving the room.
Re: Locked in a room by stealthy advancing critters 02/24/2018 02:35 PM CST
I third the irritation at this. In fact, it's probably one of my biggest pet peeves with DR combat. You can't leave the room because you're engaged, but you can't retreat because you're not engaged; a most ingenious paradox! Whenever this happens to me in an invasion and I can't search the creature out, there's nothing I can do but just stand there and wait to get killed. I haven't tried fleeing in this situation, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work because it wouldn't detect anything as being engaged. I wouldn't mind so much if I could do something proactive to escape or mitigate the situation... if I know an ambush is coming, it should be less effective, I would think.
Re: Locked in a room by stealthy advancing critters 02/24/2018 04:26 PM CST
Ah see... I wasn't wholly incorrect. I knew I remembered it working that way. It was changed after I left for a long break from DR. I must have missed it in my reading when I came back. It's never been an issue for me because I have always focused on perception being one of my top skills. But here are some relevant posts to it.

https://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Game%20Master%20and%20Official%20Announcements/view/84

https://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Abilities,%20Skills%20and%20Magic/Game%20Master%20and%20Official%20Announcements/view/207

Silly question, but you know how things get coded sometimes. And I'm not saying it doesn't need fixed, but have you tried hiding and retreating as a workaround?

If nothing else, perhaps a GM can look at the timeline around these posts and find when changes were last coded.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.