Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/01/2017 12:15 PM CDT
Rather than sift through 144 pages of posts, i'll just ask - has there been any progress on or new development information about stealing in combat / from critters? Is this still on the table?

- Rhoat
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/01/2017 12:19 PM CDT
>>has there been any progress on or new development information about stealing in combat / from critters?

Not to my knowledge.

>>Is this still on the table?

It's on the table in the "yeah sure it's on the table that would be neat" sense.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/01/2017 01:49 PM CDT
Seems like stealing from critters would be high on the list of importance for stealth development - its an entire segment of the game that is ripe with opportunity. A logical extension of stealth related activities that are already performed against critters during combat and non-combat alike. Can't stealing already be performed against a number of NPC's as well?

- Rhoat
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/01/2017 02:04 PM CDT
>>Seems like stealing from critters would be high on the list of importance for stealth development - its an entire segment of the game that is ripe with opportunity. A logical extension of stealth related activities that are already performed against critters during combat and non-combat alike. Can't stealing already be performed against a number of NPC's as well?

TBH, I can see stealing from more NPCs happening way before stealing from critters.

AFAIK, the major hiccups with critter stealing are:
(1) the way treasure generation works – loot doesn't show up until after the critter is looted
(2) what risk is there with critter stealing - NPC stealing risks fines, but it's not like a critter being aggro/at melee is that abnormal for hunting
(3) if a critter is stolen from, what happens when it is killed/looted? Do critters that were pickpocketed end up without loot? Is stealing from a critter then killing/looting it going to result in 2x treasure generation?

All that said, it would be amusing if critter stealing involved taking gear off them without their knowledge. Would be pretty funny to disarm a Throne City thug by removing all their gear before attacking.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/01/2017 04:18 PM CDT

Oh! And what about critter who gen, are robbed, the thief leaves, and then someone previously uninvolved kills said critter? Do they get loot, or...?
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/01/2017 06:31 PM CDT
Seems like those who assume no risk by stealing from a critter that they far outclass might not learn enough from the theft to waste time doing it? I'm sure there's a way to balance risk vs. reward - and YES. If the loot is successfully stolen, then the critter will only grant pelts / gear / remaining treasure on kill / loot. I'm sure everyone reading this has looted an empty corpse once or twice in their time here.

- Rhoat
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/01/2017 07:16 PM CDT
Don't give cash.

Make it an exp farm. All problems solved.

Make it like counting coup.
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/01/2017 08:15 PM CDT
>>Seems like those who assume no risk by stealing from a critter that they far outclass might not learn enough from the theft to waste time doing it?

This goes against how most coin-grinding operations tend to work.

>>If the loot is successfully stolen, then the critter will only grant pelts / gear / remaining treasure on kill / loot.

This is why it isn't being done yet: because that's not a good idea.

>>I'm sure everyone reading this has looted an empty corpse once or twice in their time here.

I don't think I've ever had a mob I've hunted for loot drop nothing.

Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/02/2017 12:44 AM CDT
>>This goes against how most coin-grinding operations tend to work.

OK but not everybody is going to farm for the coin - at some point plats become less attractive than experience don't they?

>>This is why it isn't being done yet: because that's not a good idea.

Why is this not a good idea? Is there a shortage of spawn where you hunt? If players catch a thief attempting to steal from their mob lock them open and grant consent the same way its done for room-jacking. Have the critter de-spawn faster if its loot is gone.

>>I don't think I've ever had a mob I've hunted for loot drop nothing.

I probably saw it a few hundred times a day when I was hunting goblins. Even rock and swamp trolls sometimes stiff you on the loot IIRC.

- Rhoat
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/02/2017 05:08 AM CDT
Pick-pocketing in combat is too cheesy. If you can find a way to explain it that doesn't make it sound totally ludicrous, I'd be for it.

Stealing from critters? Yes, please. Picking something's pocket while it's trying to hit you in the head with a sword? At the very least it should spot you doing this, always. Hiding while 4 critters are dogpiling on us is cheesy enough as is. If we wanted to develop stealth/thievery, I'd prefer more a significantly more non-combat direction to begin with, and then once something more solid than shoplifting has been created we can start talking about token combat uses. But if Thievery becomes like the current iteration of Stealth (engage mobs, hide, steal, ambush, repeat ad nauseam, I'll be quite displeased by it. Do any of us really want that? If so, why?
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/02/2017 09:02 AM CDT
I think other than providing an outlet for training Stealing, this idea is kind of moot to me. The game doesn't need more coin generating avenues, it needs more coin sinks, and if the only reason this is getting added/considered is because Stealing is impossible to train beyond a certain range, Stealing should be reassessed as a skill.

Not everything needs to be tied to combat, or trainable in combat.
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/02/2017 11:45 AM CDT
>I think other than providing an outlet for training Stealing, this idea is kind of moot to me. The game doesn't need more coin generating avenues, it needs more coin sinks, and if the only reason this is getting added/considered is because Stealing is impossible to train beyond a certain range, Stealing should be reassessed as a skill.

>Not everything needs to be tied to combat, or trainable in combat.

Agreed on every point, especially since with the changes to shop stealing ~1 year ago (?) stealing is eminently trainable
Re: Stealing in Combat / From Critters 06/06/2017 02:30 AM CDT
>Not everything needs to be tied to combat, or trainable in combat.

Pretty much this.

<< // Critter stealing
<< Honestly been spoken about among staff before, but I think no one was willing to tackle the policy issues and there's a strong disapproval for adding more things that can be trained in combat. We'd like to get people out of combat and RPing more, because.. this is a RP game.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Thieves/Suggestions%20And%20Revised%20Suggestions/view/2018