Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 04/21/2016 07:57 AM CDT
Is there a practical reason that a given creature will continue to teach perception via hunt for such a huge range past it's teaching for other skills?

Using 1st tier snow goblins as an example:

Weapons and defenses soft cap in the low 140's
Stealth soft caps in the low 160's
Perception is still learning (albeit slowly) at 275 from hunt.

This seems more than a bit off, and marginalizes stealth to some extent. Is it intended? Apologies if this has been covered, i've recently reactivated after a long break.
Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 11:24 AM CDT
>>This seems more than a bit off, and marginalizes stealth to some extent.

Between the WATCH command stacking with a perception buff and the insanely easy methods to train Perception vs Stealth, you will always be in a less advantageous position attempting to hide vs another player. I could be wrong but I think the contest is weighted towards perception as well since the stat to aid perception, Wisdom, is more useful and probably higher across the board in general than agility is for most guilds.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 12:04 PM CDT
>>I could be wrong but I think the contest is weighted towards perception as well since the stat to aid perception, Wisdom, is more useful and probably higher across the board in general than agility is for most guilds.

While I agree with everything else (WATCH is OP) Discipline is linked to Stealth, not Agility.
Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 12:42 PM CDT
>>While I agree with everything else (WATCH is OP) Discipline is linked to Stealth, not Agility.

Elanthipedia is where I read agility is a stat for stealth. Discipline is a blanket stat so its not surprising it helps stealth. I don't think however Discipline is more helpful to stealth than agility and encumbrance. Speaking of which, wearing armor doesn't hinder perception checks, even visored helms. Just another way Stealth is weak compared to Perception.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 12:57 PM CDT
>>Elanthipedia is where I read agility is a stat for stealth. Discipline is a blanket stat so its not surprising it helps stealth. I don't think however Discipline is more helpful to stealth than agility and encumbrance.

I have always wondered about this since I have heard that Discipline is "the" stat for Stealth, to the point where people have told me Agility plays no role. This seems unlikely to me but there it is.

I wish we had a little more general guidance about the roles that stats play with skills, since it's incredibly difficult to test most of them on our own. Even if we do manage to confirm that a stat is a factor, as far as I know there is no way to determine how much of a factor in comparison to other stats.

- Navesi
Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 04:42 PM CDT
ZETHIN01095 is correct that Discipline is the stat that contributes to Stealth. Elanthipedia is wrong in this instance. It has been tested a long time ago when someone left their Discipline at 10, and with 200 in Stealth couldn't hide on rock trolls. Raising Discipline allowed them to actually be able to use their Stealth ranks.
Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 05:28 PM CDT
I'm sure agility is factored into stealth too.

Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 06:01 PM CDT
>>I'm sure agility is factored into stealth too.

Anything beyond your gut feeling to say it is? Everything I've been told by GMs, people who know/use the system heavily, and what I've experienced in earning 1200 ranks says Discipline is the primary stat behind all stealth actions. I'm sure Agility factors into some stealth actions, but if you want to hide/do stealth better then you should train Discipline.
Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 07:05 PM CDT
>>I'm sure agility is factored into stealth too.
>>I'm sure Agility factors into some stealth actions

Exactly. And who honestly cares? This post is about perception being too easy to train and over powered in comparison to stealth.

Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 07:56 PM CDT

"Exactly. And who honestly cares? This post is about perception being too easy to train and over powered in comparison to stealth."

I'm not sure if it's overpowered, that's for people with more game mechanic knowledge than I have to say. But the caps for learning the two skills are way out of wack, that's for sure.
Re: Stealth caps and perception learning from Hunt 05/01/2016 08:04 PM CDT
Yeah at this point I think my wishlist for perception would be having it use the same caps that stealth does on mobs and removing WATCH.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs