Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/24/2016 08:30 AM CST
I need some information on how shoplifting looks for you right now. If you shoplift, regardless of your guild, I'd love it if you could fill out the google form below. It's only five questions.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1G1Fg3ea3llsCesCkfj-di_gGkF3wwEdRoZ7RHNyDEcI/viewform

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/24/2016 03:33 PM CST
I noted it in the survey, but I filled it out twice. Once after a short run (Haven only, all shops that have items that teach) and again after a longer run through Haven, Leth, and Crossing. Wanted to make sure you were aware.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/24/2016 03:45 PM CST
Thanks! I mentioned on twitter, but if you have more info you'd like to share, I'll take it by e-mail. List of what you're stealing, total time, total travel time, ranks, stats, charges (and what you got charged on). Logs don't help me as much because parsing through them is a pain.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 04:33 PM CST
Filled in my stats but wasn't sure what you meant by number of charges? Number of charges ever or per run or something else entirely? I inputted 0, assuming an ~average per run.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 04:45 PM CST
<< I filled it out twice

I did the same actually, i listed all the items i stole on the first try. So, you can disregard my first attempt if possible.

Although i have to say, the number of items stolen is not a good metric. Maybe the number of shops would be better fitting, as from my personal experience you can get 0-2/34 per 1 shop, regardless of how many items you take.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 05:04 PM CST

How many items has a direct relationship though. Are you stealing each item one time, or are you stealing it multiple times? Multiple times means more experience because the item gets progressively harder due to the likelihood of getting caught going up. At least that was my understanding of how it worked a while ago.

I'm glad this topic came up. I've been ignoring stealing lately (and really need to jump on it) because I just didn't feel like updating my script. I went from getting no better than 17/34 to locking and now have more information at the end of the script (how many and which items were too easy and didn't teach or were too hard and I didn't attempt them) and I took the time to correct a couple of travel bugs that I've been hopping through manually. Script time went from 25 to 35 minutes, but that isn't a big deal to me. It gives me just enough time to drain down some athletics, lockpicking, and combats so I can start my round of training over.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 05:45 PM CST
How i see it, there's an item budget or a pool of some sort.

Lets say 100 units gets you maximum exp of ~2/34 and if you break the budget, you will get caught.

You have:
item1: 90 units
item2: 60 units
item3: 20 units

- you take item1 1x you get a nice 90% out of max exp learned and no getting caught
- you take item2 2x you get 60% of max exp because you get busted on the second attempt
- you take item3 5x and you collect 100% available exp

Obviously in reality the system is not as linear as this but all it does is to find a good combination of items to fill your budget for max exp, be it 1 or 5. Of course your options are always pretty limited and mainly dependent on the available shop inventory. As a whole the system seems to be pretty unpredictable and weird, it's not always easy to min/max every shop to the fullest.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 05:56 PM CST
>Although i have to say, the number of items stolen is not a good metric. Maybe the number of shops would be better fitting, as from my personal experience you can get 0-2/34 per 1 shop, regardless of how many items you take.

My assumption was that the GMs have a balance of how many shops they want you to hit, and how many theft attempts they want you to make per shop, and Javac is creating that distribution. He (she? I think it's he) will then (hopefully) balance exp rewards and risk to meet that balance.

In short: if they want me to steal one moderate risk item per shop, instead of the 4+ low risk items I steal per shop, they could reduce the risk on first theft, and drastically scale up the repeat theft risks.

Which I kind of hope they do, because stealing 4+ times in a shop is ridonculous.

>How i see it, there's an item budget or a pool of some sort.

I don't think any of that is particularly accurate. I was under the impression that subsequent thefts reward the same exp but have increased risk, and that that increased risk does not reward bonus exp (if it did, you would create a situation where you simply steal charcoal enough times and it teaches forever).
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 06:39 PM CST
<< I was under the impression that subsequent thefts reward the same exp but have increased risk, and that that increased risk does not reward bonus exp

You're right. It's much more complicated than i was trying to make it look and not nearly as linear in any way. I was just trying to say that sometimes you can combine 2 or 3 items into more exp than 1 big item (if you hit that 60% mark) but that's about all you get for stealing multiple items vs. 1 item.

<< My assumption was that the GMs have a balance of how many shops they want you to hit

I get that but some people tend to steal multiple small items vs 1 big item. It wouldn't hurt to add the number of shops to the survey but it's obviously up to JAVAC. Whatever he needs to get the big picture, not going to judge.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 08:04 PM CST
>Which I kind of hope they do, because stealing 4+ times in a shop is ridonculous

Only if binning and rep is looked at along with stealing. I steal 3 of the same item that doesn't teach in a couple of shops just so I can bin them for extra rep. I might be a bit weird about my level of reputation though because apparently the birds in Haven love me almost as much as they love each other, per the beggar.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 08:36 PM CST
>I was under the impression that subsequent thefts reward the same exp but have increased risk, and that that increased risk does not reward bonus exp
>You're right.

Hate to say it, but you're wrong. You get less experience for subsequent steals in the same shop, and the difficulty goes up. This penalty stacks to infinity, and can be very large initially. Right now, stealing multiple times in a shop makes no sense, except maybe for pawning/binning.

>Which I kind of hope they do, because stealing 4+ times in a shop is ridonculous.

Right now I'm just collecting information. But I've yet to see people steal things that the system considers moderate risk very often. There just aren't enough items in each range. After looking at the code, and watching people do runs, and looking at the information from the poll and from e-mails, I have several ideas on things both big and small I can do to help the system not be so painful.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 09:20 PM CST
>Hate to say it, but you're wrong. You get less experience for subsequent steals in the same shop, and the difficulty goes up. This penalty stacks to infinity, and can be very large initially. Right now, stealing multiple times in a shop makes no sense, except maybe for pawning/binning.

Interesting!

So under the current system (if you can say) is the ideal way to steal to grab 1 item, maybe 2, per shop?
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/26/2016 09:22 PM CST
>There just aren't enough items in each range.

Thank you for acknowledging this!

>I have several ideas on things both big and small I can do to help the system not be so painful.

Excellent - I look forward to hearing about them.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 03:08 AM CST
<< There just aren't enough items in each range.
<< But I've yet to see people steal things that the system considers moderate risk very often.

Indeed, the options are fairly limited within what most people consider an acceptable travel distance. In addition for thieves it's a total nightmare to manage rep once you start crossing province borders.

I'm not that highly skilled but even for me i've topped out so many shops that i'm grabbing 6 heavy crossbows just for 1 exp and i feel like i should consider myself lucky to get any exp at all because once it goes trivial that's another shop going off the list.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 03:25 AM CST
Thieves aren't the only ones who train Thievery either. Non-Thieves have no easy way of telling how challenging something is even if we can successfully grab it, so it's a good idea when figuring out how to train to err on the side of easier.

The consequences of failing a Thievery check are also much steeper and more annoying than the consequences of failing most other skillchecks so that's another incentive.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 08:25 AM CST
>>The consequences of failing a Thievery check are also much steeper and more annoying than the consequences of failing most other skillchecks so that's another incentive.

Yes, tell me of your woes. LOL About how your guild or the game punishes you aside from some arrests. There are no real consequences outside of arrest for a non guilded thief. Not one. Gweths are completely avoidable. Non issue.

The fact that you mention non guilded thieves training thievery is another perfect example of the system needing fixed. Now it's common place and incredibly easy for non thieves to train thievery because everyone uses that progressive script that picks your items for you. If you are going through shop by shop, picking each based on cost, bravo to you. But I doubt it because humans are inherently lazy, and if it's not broke then why fix it? If anything the tables should be turned and non guilded thieves should be punished far more severely than guilded thieves. I'd think the thieves guild would get awful tired of seeing non guilded stealing. I'd be sending thugs to beat you senseless in the jails, and having the unseen masses robbing you as you rolled through the "rougher" side of town. Letting contacts work far better than they do currently would go a long way for regulation as well. And that's a start.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 09:24 AM CST
> Yes, tell me of your woes. LOL About how your guild or the game punishes you aside from some arrests.

How about the years where I earned a SO spiral thanks to stealing? Tell me again about your little woes and your ability to mark to make it even easier on you?
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 09:27 AM CST

I've never used a progressive stealing list, and for the last near 1000 ranks I've picked items via trial and error. And yes, it is hard for non-thieves to pick items and learn what will teach. Do I think things like rep are out of whack for thieves and should be fixed? Yes. I don't want thievery to be super easy, because then everyone would train it, and we already see that happening in all the other skills. Thievery shouldn't be a skill everyone trains for tdps. But unless thievery becomes guild only, there should be some reasonable (if difficult) way to train for non thieves.

Jalika
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 09:37 AM CST
>> Yes, tell me of your woes. LOL About how your guild or the game punishes you aside from some arrests. There are no real consequences outside of arrest for a non guilded thief. Not one. Gweths are completely avoidable. Non issue.

Hate to break it to you, but you having a worse situation doesn't make anyone else's situation any better. It's not a competition. You don't need to be a martyr. The person is correct, thievery sucks for everyone, not just thieves.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 01:36 PM CST
>>How about the years where I earned a SO spiral thanks to stealing? Tell me again about your little woes and your ability to mark to make it even easier on you?

Completely optional on your part. And there's plenty of stealing outside of town. Little woes are cute.

Anyways, so my question is what downsides are there aside from fines? Everything else is totally avoidable that I can think of. Rangers losing bonus, necros getting SO, and gweth charges... Have I missed something? Are there other systems that interact?

I guess I'm stuck where its harder for non thieves. Even without mark, appraisal and common sense work wonders.

That stove is large and heavy, probably going to be hard to steal. That diamond ring is small, but expensive, they'll be watching that closely.

It's hard for me to get behind changes to a system that only one guild is forced to use, with extra drawbacks than any other, without someone directly addressing how out of whack the system is and how it's going to fix it for that guild. It's not necessarily an all about me thing, I don't steal because its borked. My stealing ranks come from classes now. But, if someone is going address the problem, I just ask that we address the whole problem.

Be mad if you want because I'm a broken record, but it doesn't change the truth. Eventually someone might fix it. Any time someone has thier hands in a system where there's a short coming for one of my guilds of choice, I'm going to pipe up.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 01:48 PM CST
>>Completely optional on your part. And there's plenty of stealing outside of town. Little woes are cute.

I am at a loss over why you're choosing to be completely insufferable when it comes to anything involving stealing becoming better, especially because you repeatedly say you have no inclination to do it because you want it fixed.

Stealing will never be better just for thieves. Stop with the whines over the idea that the tide might dare raise all boats.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 01:54 PM CST
> Completely optional on your part. And there's plenty of stealing outside of town. Little woes are cute.

> necros getting SO

I recommend you learning systems before you continue to try and sound like an 11 year old cartoon character (see: http://tinyurl.com/ztjjspb). Yes there are places outside of town but I can't think of many shops (let alone enough to train the skill on) that are not in justice areas. Most shops themselves are justice areas. Getting caught used to be what gave the SO not being in town. Just getting caught. So please explain how your little rep hit is worse than getting locked out of all town services. It was recently fixed thankfully making it a bit easier for necromancers to train it but for most of the guilds history it was basically impossible to train.

People have been trying to support and say that things need a change and you just keep bashing their hands trying to prove something. Yes thievery should be fixed to stop penalizing thieves more than others especially considering the thematics. Yes, thievery can be an easy skill to learn for just about anyone who uses certain common sense, lists, scripts, etc (including thieves who have an extra way to make it even easier to not get caught!). People are trying to improve and fix the system while some others are just repeating the same line every second they can and add nothing to the conversation.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 02:14 PM CST
You are right, I'm not TRYING to be so heavy about it, it just comes easy after so long of being screwed to be cynical.

>>I recommend you learning systems before you continue to try and sound like an 11 year old cartoon character (see: http://tinyurl.com/ztjjspb). Yes there are places outside of town but I can't think of many shops (let alone enough to train the skill on) that are not in justice areas. Most shops themselves are justice areas. Getting caught used to be what gave the SO not being in town. Just getting caught. So please explain how your little rep hit is worse than getting locked out of all town services. It was recently fixed thankfully making it a bit easier for necromancers to train it but for most of the guilds history it was basically impossible to train.

I didn't realize that it was more a justice thing than an in town thing... Either way, to play devils advocate, it's STILL optional. That being said, it's far more than "a little rep hit" for thieves. But I've mucked this thread up enough.

It's not about trying to prove anything, it's simply wanting/hoping the GMs to fix the entire thing. Making it better "for everyone" still leaves Thieves dealing with the same broken crap they've been dealing with. Make the whole thing better. Not just a bandaid fix. How many times do we see a system get a "fix" and then systems that tie in are boned with a hopeful promise of "later". That is what I want to avoid. I'd rather a GM pony up and say "I've rolled up my sleeves and I'm going to fix this for good" than "we'll see what happens". I'm SURE whatever Javac has planned will be an upgrade. It's hard to make it worse, and he's been pretty awesome thus far. But that is where my cynicism stems from. That's why my wheel squeeks. At least I can admit it.

Monster Elec

Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 03:10 PM CST
My post was literally just a response to Javac pointing out that he noticed people were stealing easier items instead of middle difficulty ones and an explanation for why that is. I don't know why this thread is suddenly a pissing contest and Yet Another Thread About Why Thieves Are Totally Terrible Now but this is certainly one creative way of ensuring no GM touches Thievery.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 03:15 PM CST
Is it possible to set something up along the lines of:

STEAL BEROLT EASY/CHALLENGING/HARD

Which would auto-select an item in that range? Or, just provide some RT, with the risk of being caught, but you don't actually steal an item?

Thieves could still choose to steal individual items for binning, and anyone could choose to steal individual items for pawning, but it would take all the guess-work out of finding something to steal? It would also ensure that every shop can teach, regardless of what items it carries.

GENT
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering ::Thread Over:: 02/27/2016 05:03 PM CST

And this one is done.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Shoplifting Information Gathering 02/27/2016 08:40 PM CST
>>Hate to say it, but you're wrong. You get less experience for subsequent steals in the same shop, and the difficulty goes up. This penalty stacks to infinity, and can be very large initially. Right now, stealing multiple times in a shop makes no sense, except maybe for pawning/binning.

While we're on the subject, could you check and see if having active khri/higher effective levels would give less EXP? One item I know is too trivial to learn from when I have it up, but it didn't flag when I removed the khri from my script for testing.