Lowbie Stealth Clownsuit 02/16/2016 10:57 AM CST
Has anyone had success using a clownsuit out the gate as a survival prime (or anyone else who uses stealth at melee)? I'm looking for a setup that can be bought in normal shops, and will allow me to train all the armors and stealth without having to shift what I'm wearing around as I hunt. Is this even feasible?
Re: Lowbie Stealth Clownsuit 02/16/2016 11:25 AM CST
If I was going pure shop...

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Tembeg%27s_Armory

Chain shirt, plate gauntlets, metal scale greaves, and a rugged leather cowl.

That puts the biggest body coverage in chain/light using what you can buy for a few silver.

You're still going to get whomped often, so make sure to use your divine charm. If you're planning on playing a necro I'd make sure to grab the first 20+ ranks before joining just because you'll lose your charm once you do.
Re: Lowbie Stealth Clownsuit 02/16/2016 11:51 AM CST
But you think stealth hindrance will be low enough in that setup to hide at melee against at-level critters as survival primary?

If it works, I guess my only concern is the learning rate for light armor (which I'd probably eventually want as my primary armor type). Recently I have been bringing a character from every guild up to about 10th circle, to get a good feel for them all. I have been using your suggested setup (as far as coverage goes) with different armor types in the different places for my various characters, and despite what the handy Elanthipedia armor guide says, I find it teaches: torso+arms > legs >> head/eyes/neck >>>> hands. I suppose it isn't /that/ big of a deal though. I have a Warmie that is nearing 20th circle, and the armor I use for my hands is probably 20-25 ranks behind the armor I'm using on my torso+arms, with the others at points between.
Re: Lowbie Stealth Clownsuit 02/16/2016 11:53 AM CST
If you are going to train all 4 armors at once and train stealth you are going to have to remove some of your armor while starting out till your Stealth is a bit higher and you have a Stealth buff. That said, I would suggest from the Crossing armor shop:

rugged leather jerkin
rugged greaves
chain balaclava
scale vambraces
plate gauntlets

I used this on a Ranger straight out of the character generator not too long ago and I had no problems. I just removed the gauntlets and vambraces (and balaclava if needed) when I trained stealth. If you go for crafted armor you can switch to full leathers with scale gloves, chain helm, and a plate mask for lower hinderance.
Re: Lowbie Stealth Clownsuit 02/16/2016 12:05 PM CST
>But you think stealth hindrance will be low enough in that setup to hide at melee against at-level critters as survival primary?

Absolutely not in any way.

You're going to have to either swap gear, or simply remove parts, to hide. You're also going to need to strip off the plate/brig to retreat at all.

A lot of people simply wear a full light suit, and swap greaves in/out to train chain, plate, brig.
Re: Lowbie Stealth Clownsuit 02/16/2016 01:02 PM CST
I would also make sure to dump your TDPs into Discipline off the bat to give you an edge. Stealth hindrance is huge at the beginning. You might have to just focus on training armor for a bit before you can consistently hide to train Stealth.

GENT