Re: HUNT and Perception 01/22/2016 11:43 AM CST
>>It seems hard to argue that defense against stealth is too niche without arguing that stealth is too niche.

Stealth isn't niche because you can train stealth on critters across the board.
Anti-Stealth-Skill is niche because, based on what you said yourself, you can only train it against specific critters that use stealth.

I like the idea of perception being a psuedo-survival mastery skill, where it can improve your effectiveness at locksmithing or outdoorsmanship or prospecting or etc etc etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/22/2016 01:27 PM CST

>Anti-Stealth-Skill is niche because, based on what you said yourself, you can only train it against specific critters that use stealth.

Unless you couple perception training to HUNTing on at level critters, which is what I think people are arguing for. No one is saying 'make Perception only trainable on at level stealth checks', and while you are right to point out that one cannot train perception to 1750 in Goblins, it is still grossly out of check with reasonable critter levels, and all too easy to train.

>I like the idea of perception being a psuedo-survival mastery skill, where it can improve your effectiveness at locksmithing or outdoorsmanship or prospecting or etc etc etc.

Personally, I think the game should get away from these dual check all encompassing things more frequently. I dislike for example that SvS is so overlappy, and no one is really training a character to have great Mind but weak Spirit. Perception should be the anti-stealth check and maybe involved in a few other things, but it shouldn't be arbitrarily roped into a bunch of random skills, and it shouldn't be trainable in virtual perpetuity as easily as it is.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/22/2016 04:28 PM CST
>>Unless you couple perception training to HUNTing on at level critters, which is what I think people are arguing for.

Which can be impossible to use in some hunting areas, especially modernized ones, given the way critters in those zones generate.

>>No one is saying 'make Perception only trainable on at level stealth checks'

The person who I was specially responding to, suggested just that ("Finding hidden exits could probably be taken over by outdoorsmanship just as logically (or maybe more logically -- "hidden" plants and pathways are not actively avoiding you, "hiding" people are) as could Hunt; with a secondary Perception check against hiding critters.")

>>arbitrarily roped

That's not what the word means. There are obvious and specific reasons why perception is involved with checks that relate to finding things. At best, you're arguing that it's redundant.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/22/2016 09:51 PM CST

>Which can be impossible to use in some hunting areas, especially modernized ones, given the way critters in those zones generate.

Then I guess you can't train perception on those critters. Just like not every critter is skinnable, or drops boxes.

>That's not what the word means. There are obvious and specific reasons why perception is involved with checks that relate to finding things. At best, you're arguing that it's redundant.

I don't think Perception has anything more to do with Locksmithing or Outdoorsmanship than it does with Forging. Or First Aid. Or Missile Weapons, Appraisal, Evasion, Tactics, or... I'll stop there... any number of skills which in some way shape or form require 'perceiving a thing'. Perception being tied to Locksmithing and Outdoorsmanship is, to repeat myself, an example of a skill being arbitrarily roped into something else.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/22/2016 10:27 PM CST
>>Perception being tied to Locksmithing and Outdoorsmanship is, to repeat myself, an example of a skill being arbitrarily roped into something else.

Except it's not arbitrary. You might disagree with it, but that doesn't make it arbitrary.

Arbitrary means that it was randomly decided without any logic or reason. There is a clear logic and reason. You just happen to dislike it.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/22/2016 10:30 PM CST
The problem is you can easily apply that reasoning to a dozen other skills that do not factor perception in any fashion. It's arbitrary because that reasoning is only being used to justify its use for a couple of skills despite being more widely applicable, probably for legacy design reasons that frankly no longer really apply.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/22/2016 10:40 PM CST
I would prefer if stealth had some more non-combat training options open up, and if its combat applications were more limited than they are currently. Hiding while in melee is especially ridiculous - particularly if any of your opponents are currently facing you. I recognize that it's currently a big part of the game, and a big part of how some guilds are designed to function in combat, but it's still pretty ridiculous and 4th-wall breaking as it's currently implemented.

I'd prefer if hiding difficulty were based more around the terrain of the room you're in (hiding in a crowded warehouse should be pretty easy, hiding in an open field should be very difficult.) Something along those lines would be preferable.

Treating Perception and Stealth like they are primarily combat skills not only damages the 4th wall if done poorly, but it also limits the design-space of the skills as a whole even if done well. I'd prefer to see the design-space and available applications of the skills expand, not shrink.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/22/2016 11:13 PM CST
>>The problem is you can easily apply that reasoning to a dozen other skills that do not factor perception in any fashion.

Not sure which situations you're thinking of. Finding herbs, metals, woods, traps, monsters, marking targets to steal... they all sound perceptiony. Not sure what situations don't factor in perception but could/should and aren't for arbitrary reasons.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 07:18 AM CST
>>stellarmagus

This isn't 8 years ago. Stealth is pretty weak comparitively. Inviso is pretty much a joke at level.

I disagree with you completely. For how DR is designed, it works. Without having to add two or three more system layers just to make stealth realistic... Yeah, no. I mean... People shoot lightning while wearing plate armor, and can swim in that same armor. Armor doesn't take 30 minutes to put on or take off. There's lots of reasons TOO much realism is a bad idea. It's possible and could be done, but DR is too far down another rabbit hole.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 08:44 AM CST

> Hiding while in melee is especially ridiculous - particularly if any of your opponents are currently facing you.

I would love if Stealth was involved in 'attacks of subterfuge', akin to perhaps another Tactics skill. That we can only utilize stealth as a binary 'attack from hidden' feels a bit dated and silly.

>Finding herbs, metals, woods, traps, monsters, marking targets to steal... they all sound perceptiony. Not sure what situations don't factor in perception but could/should and aren't for arbitrary reasons.

Respectfully, I think this is unreasonable of you to say because I provided a number of skills that also 'sound perceptiony', and you chose to edit them out in your response to me. Here they are again - "Forging (or any craft). Or First Aid. Or Missile Weapons, Appraisal, Evasion, Tactics"

Hence the reason I said 'arbitrary'. There are a number of skills that also 'seem perceptiony', but don't factor perception. Having it tied to Locksmithing and Outdoorsmanship is thus... arbitrary.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 06:28 PM CST
<<Forging (or any craft). Or First Aid. Or Missile Weapons, Appraisal, Evasion, Tactics

None of those involve searching for things which is what all of trap disarming, foraging, gathering, hunting, and anti-stealth include in their purview. "Perception-y" when taken to mean being able to see or notice details doesn't make sense and seems arbitrary, but when the "perception-y" meaning is narrowed to be searching for stuff then all the system selections for Perception follow a reasoned system.

What people are asking here is for the purview of "perception-y" to be narrowed even further to include only searching for stealthy stuff.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 06:42 PM CST
Tactics requires you be able to spot and exploit vulnerabilities in your enemies' defenses. Clear application for Perception there.

Evasion requires you actually see where your enemy is and spot where they might be moving or if they're feinting etc which is a clear application for Perception.

First Aid requires you be able to examine and judge the severity of a wound as well as spot differences in gross and subtle anatomy. Clear application for Perception.

Appraisal requires you be able to spot minute details of an object you are examining in order to determine its composition and value. Clear application for perception.

And on. And on.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 06:47 PM CST
<<Tactics requires you be able to spot and exploit vulnerabilities in your enemies' defenses. Clear application for Perception there.

That's not searching for a THING.

<<Evasion requires you actually see where your enemy is and spot where they might be moving or if they're feinting etc which is a clear application for Perception.

<<First Aid requires you be able to examine and judge the severity of a wound as well as spot differences in gross and subtle anatomy. Clear application for Perception.

<<Appraisal requires you be able to spot minute details of an object you are examining in order to determine its composition and value. Clear application for perception.

And on. And on.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 06:55 PM CST
Honestly, we all seem on the same page for "hunt should have experience capped more accurately to the critter level," so the rest of this stuff is spinning wheels because perception the skill is not going to just become trainable against anti-stealth critters.

GMs just reassessed how skills work for 3.0 and perception made it. I'd be very surprised if perception suddenly stopped training and working for finding materials, foraging, finding traps, marking, and so on.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 06:55 PM CST
I fail to see how spotting a flaw in a gem or a chink in armor is not essentially similar to spotting a hole in a box acid might spew out of or a bit of moss under a log.

Thayet

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 07:04 PM CST
<<I fail to see how spotting a flaw in a gem or a chink in armor is not essentially similar to spotting a hole in a box acid might spew out of or a bit of moss under a log.

Because you're looking at it conceptually as a searching for anything, whether a detail or an actual object. I'm saying the reasoning that appears was used to justify the choice of actions was those where you're searching for an object or creature that is hidden in some way that were decided to be the specific criteria for whatever reason, whereas simply looking for a detail about an object didn't qualify. Probably because the latter was decided to be more of an appraisal thing.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 07:05 PM CST
Yeah, I'm not saying it should be one way or the other. I'm just stating what appears to be the current reasoning for the skills it affects, which isn't as arbitrary as it seems to some people.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 09:18 PM CST
>That's not searching for a THING.

Oh comon, that's a massive shift of the goalposts and an extremely semantic argument to boot - in this case 'thing' is basically code for 'physical object to be found' which is an incredibly narrow and silly way of describing 'perception' in any context. I'd say identifying the type of lock in a box is no different than identifying the value of a gem/pelt, or determining what needs to be done next to a crafted object, or ascertaining a weakness in an enemy.

In fact, 'spotting the trap' sounds about as identical to 'recognizing the perfect gem' or 'identifying the weakness in an enemy'. I think the language in certain ANALYZE combos even includes the the phrase 'spot a weakness' or 'identify a weakness'.

In any case, this is a pointless circle to go around. The reasons for keeping Perception tied to a few abilities but not others is not well defined, and since Perception is most noticeably used as 'anti-Stealth', then it should be trained in a similarly defined difficulty range as Stealth, meaning HUNT should only train in critter appropriate ranges.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 10:12 PM CST
>>most noticeably used as 'anti-Stealth'

I'd chalk that view up to a personal bias more than anything else, especially given how sparingly it's used in PvE.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/23/2016 10:13 PM CST
<<Oh comon, that's a massive shift of the goalposts and an extremely semantic argument to boot

No it's not. Semantic would be telling you that massive doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. Bonus: Pedantic would be telling you that it is spelled c'mon, or more properly, come on.

<<In fact, 'spotting the trap' sounds about as identical to 'recognizing the perfect gem' or 'identifying the weakness in an enemy'. I think the language in certain ANALYZE combos even includes the the phrase 'spot a weakness' or 'identify a weakness'.
<<The reasons for keeping Perception tied to a few abilities but not others is not well defined

But you're not just 'spotting the trap'. You are locating an object that you can extract. Perception has been an 'aid in searching for some object or creature' skill for the duration of 2.0 and 3.0 not the 'notice or exploit a detail about something' skill.

All I'm saying is that it's not arbitrarily decided that ability X gets perception as a modifier to it and ability Y doesn't. There is a reason for it. As a result, arguments based on it affecting an arbitrary selection of abilities are baseless on that merit.

You're free to argue about the rest of the stuff like non-combat applications of the skill can be used to greatly over-train combat applications of it, and combat applications of the skill teach in an overly liberal range for a combat skill. Those can stand on their own as arguments just fine without being bogged down by other arguments without merit.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 08:36 AM CST

If it's good enough for wikipedia, it's good enough for me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comon

>But you're not just 'spotting the trap'. You are locating an object that you can extract. Perception has been an 'aid in searching for some object or creature' skill for the duration of 2.0 and 3.0 not the 'notice or exploit a detail about something' skill.

And numerous examples of the exact same behavior is found in many other skills that don't require perception, e.g., crafting, where you are 'locating an object that you can extract' from the total project. In fact, a number of steps in tailoring require scissors, and the removal of portions of the project. Alchemy involves smelling your project to identify when it is ready for the next step, which is sometimes pouring the project through a sieve to 'remove and object that you can extract'.

Mechanically, we're on the same page, that HUNT should train perception based on proper challenges, but your insistence that perception as it applies to Locksmithing or Outdoorsmanship is somehow thematically different from the myriad other tasks it could be applied to does not seem particularly well founded or supported to me.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 09:35 AM CST
<<And numerous examples of the exact same behavior is found in many other skills that don't require perception, e.g., crafting, where you are 'locating an object that you can extract' from the total project.

This clearly indicates that you don't understand the point. You are not searching for an object or creature in your example, therefore it is not a Perception based task.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 09:42 AM CST
Also, your link lol. One person adding it to a wiki disambiguation page does not make it an actual spelling. It's not even spelled your way in the Urban Dictionary definition which is the only other relevant page that comes up with a google search.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 11:42 AM CST
>This clearly indicates that you don't understand the point. You are not searching for an object or creature in your example, therefore it is not a Perception based task.

I mean, I actually think this means you don't understand the point being made, but we're clearly just talking past another at this point, so I'm not going to continue this with you.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 02:17 PM CST
>> This clearly indicates that you don't understand the point. You are not searching for an object or creature in your example, therefore it is not a Perception based task.

Why does transferring wounds with Empathy teach Perception then if this is the one and only true definition of the skill?

Thayet

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 02:22 PM CST
>>Why does transferring wounds with Empathy teach Perception then if this is the one and only true definition of the skill?

At least you finally found a needle?

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 02:24 PM CST
My empath doesnt get perception from transferring wounds...

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 02:26 PM CST
It's a low level thing.

Thayet

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 02:47 PM CST
I will grant that as an exception if true. Congratulations on finding an obscure method that was likely put in place only to ease low level training.

Arguing that Perception shouldn't be attached to certain skills because it could be attached to other skills if you think about the meaning of what Perception could mean in a very broad context but which actually exists in a narrower context makes no sense as an argument. Use the valid arguments of teaching ranges and the impact of combat applications being trained by non-combat applications instead. They stand on their own without need for the former.

I will also say that I'm in no way saying there's an official statement that GMs are required to follow on what Perception can or cannot do. I'm literally just describing what the situation actually is in order to point of the absurdity of the above line of argument, obscure exceptions notwithstanding.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 02:56 PM CST
I find your description nonsensical and itself pretty arbitrary but it's obvious you're not going to budge on the whole "perception shouldn't be included in checks for actions that have their own dedicated skills already" thing so vOv

Thayet

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/24/2016 04:37 PM CST
Again, I'm not saying it should or shouldn't. That's you reading into my statements. I'm saying that this is what it is now, so argumemts based on that it could be that way are without merit.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/29/2016 12:47 AM CST
1) Capping perception with hunt at seems fine to me but... seriously, is there really a problem with people flocking to low level areas so they can learn nothing but perception? Realistically, everyone who's HUNTing in combat is doing so at-level unless they're backtraining. And if they're backtraining, they're giving you a chance to catch up. Exploit that!

2) If people are spending significant amounts of time training Perception out of combat, they're already giving you a MASSIVE PvP advantage because they could be learning combat skills instead. You don't need stealth when you can just stab someone instead, or melt their face off with TM. Are we just looking for TOTAL domination of people who spend a lot of time out of combat, or are required to in order to circle?

3) As was said before, Perception is not just a combat skill. In particular, it's used for the gathering systems, which are no small part of the game. You may not use it, but it's a big part.

4) Perception needs to have effective ways of training it. I'm all for more in-depth, more complicated ways of training it, but in the absence of Perception training, Stealth is the best defense in the game. If I can't see you, there are a very small number of ways to affect you. Game over. And a good chunk of the game is Survival tert, besides.

5) Warding is a combat skill too, and provides numerous ways of protecting against both weapons and magic through barriers and spells. Warding is arguably even easier to train than Perception, given symbioses and research. Are we going to remove noncombat experience for it as well? IMO this is a perfect apples-to-apples comparison.

6) Stealth needs to be able to be trained outside of combat due to it's potential for abuse. As was brought up in the Rising Mists thread, with the exception of Thieves, Stealth is primarily used for abuse of lower level players. And it's REALLY good at that.

I'm all for making Stealth more interesting and useful at-level instead of just making it impossible to train Perception, though. I train stealth as a WM, and it would be nice to have something significant to do with it in the cases I'm actually able to hide from someone.

- Saragos
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/29/2016 12:53 AM CST
>> As was brought up in the Rising Mists thread, with the exception of Thieves, Stealth is primarily used for abuse of lower level players.

This is patently absurd, dude. There are 3 survival primary guilds and a multitude of survival secondary guilds that ALL have myriad uses for stealth.

You know what I see used a lot to abuse lower level players? Warrior Mage cantrips. Maybe those should be nerfed or removed too.

Thayet

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/29/2016 12:56 AM CST
<<5) Warding is a combat skill too, and provides numerous ways of protecting against both weapons and magic through barriers and spells. Warding is arguably even easier to train than Perception, given symbioses and research. Are we going to remove noncombat experience for it as well? IMO this is a perfect apples-to-apples comparison

To be fair, the GMs did say that they wanted to make Warding a contested skill defence like any other combat defence, but that comes with all sorts of issues. E.g. very few creatures would actually teach the skill and there would likely be lots of gaps in the hunting ladder because of it. And even if there were no gaps, everyone would hunt the warding training creatures exclusively so the skill could be trained.

The solution they went with instead was to keep the status quo of the skill being a cap on potency with the ward itself being contested instead of the skill, and expanding the variety and availability of wards while at the same time making sure each individual ward wasn't a comprehensive package and that even stacked wards couldn't provide a complete warding coverage.

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/29/2016 05:39 AM CST
> As was brought up in the Rising Mists thread, with the exception of Thieves, Stealth is primarily used for abuse of lower level players.

Normally I'm all aboard the Saragos train, but this sounds highly questionable. Can you explain what you meant? Hiding from at-level critters seems pretty common for non-thieves.
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/29/2016 09:58 AM CST
> As was brought up in the Rising Mists thread, with the exception of Thieves, Stealth is primarily used for abuse of lower level players.

I prefer the use of sharp pointy things to abuse lower level players. I'm not sure what stealth does to abuse them, perhaps hide and tease them to death from the shadows?
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/29/2016 08:56 PM CST
>> 6) Stealth needs to be able to be trained outside of combat due to it's potential for abuse. As was brought up in the Rising Mists thread, with the exception of Thieves, Stealth is primarily used for abuse of lower level players. And it's REALLY good at that.

> This is patently absurd, dude. There are 3 survival primary guilds and a multitude of survival secondary guilds that ALL have myriad uses for stealth.
> You know what I see used a lot to abuse lower level players? Warrior Mage cantrips. Maybe those should be nerfed or removed too.

You know, I was going to defend my point, but upon reflection, doing so would basically be impossible. Saying it's primarily used for abuse, as I did, is wrong. I do, however, still believe that it's an abuse-prone skill, but it's not worth arguing over, and there are indeed other abuse-prone skills and abilities. When I wrote that, I was thinking, in particular, of all the times that stealth/invisibility has been used to secretly log conversations, or stuff that goes on in inn rooms, and then those logs were posted for public mockery and other disruptions of events. But on reflection, those events can just as easily be disrupted through other means.

I do think the balance is off with Stealth. Sriking when your target is completely unaware seems like it should do more. From the outside, backstab looks awesome and destructive, though people who use it might differ. On the other hand, sniping looks cool, and I've seen both necro-sniping and ranger-sniping used to good effect, but I didn't notice the damage from it being much worse? And poaching/ambushing? If you even get any benefit from that I feel like I would have to do a statistical analysis of the damage to see it. Both seem to me like they could use an uptweak.

If we were to say, "The usefulness of non-Thief Stealth seems off," I would agree with that. But I'd prefer Stealth be given more teeth rather than making it easier to spot people or extremely difficult to train Perception. I stand by the other points I made.

- Saragos
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/29/2016 09:06 PM CST
<<5) Warding is a combat skill too, and provides numerous ways of protecting against both weapons and magic through barriers and spells. Warding is arguably even easier to train than Perception, given symbioses and research. Are we going to remove noncombat experience for it as well? IMO this is a perfect apples-to-apples comparison

< To be fair, the GMs did say that they wanted to make Warding a contested skill defence like any other combat defence, but that comes with all sorts of issues. E.g. very few creatures would actually teach the skill and there would likely be lots of gaps in the hunting ladder because of it. And even if there were no gaps, everyone would hunt the warding training creatures exclusively so the skill could be trained.

< The solution they went with instead was to keep the status quo of the skill being a cap on potency with the ward itself being contested instead of the skill, and expanding the variety and availability of wards while at the same time making sure each individual ward wasn't a comprehensive package and that even stacked wards couldn't provide a complete warding coverage.

Yeah, I remember that conversation, and I agree with that decision. I'm not griping about Warding. Especially given my impressions of the changes of the barrier review. In general, the 3.0 world's unspoken rule seems to be that defenses against an action are more easily trained than the skill for the offensive action itself. I'm fine with that and don't see it as a problem. As I said before too, while I don't really see HUNT experience with lower level critters as a highly exploited problem to begin with, putting some sort of cap on it would also not be the end of the world.

- Saragos
Re: HUNT and Perception 01/29/2016 09:14 PM CST
It hasn't been possible to stealth/invis in inn rooms in a very, very long time. Most inns won't let you go invisible or hide in them at all even in the hallways and such. Most types of invisibility don't work in PC houses either; the ones that do are almost certainly a bug.

Snipe is really trivial and it's also extremely difficult to pull off. Its primary use at present is as a stealth trainer past the point where certain mobs teach. It's a band-aid in that respect and was intended as such. If I am successfully sniping you with Vivisection I already outclass you. Which, with stealth, is hard to do now. Ambush does seem to provide a decent bonus to accuracy and damage, but that's really all you get out of it. I mainly ambush because ambushing resets the timer for stealth learning, not because it's overwhelmingly awesome. I barely notice a difference.

It's fine to say stealth needs more teeth because hey, it does. What used to be a godly skill has been run into the ground. But part of giving it more teeth is bringing perception learning in combat in line with stealth learning.

Thayet

Re: HUNT and Perception 01/29/2016 11:06 PM CST
> If I am successfully sniping you with Vivisection I already outclass you. Which, with stealth, is hard to do now.

But what makes it so hard to do? This is a legitimate question - I'm not asking it rhetorically. I keep track of my experience gain, and with the way I train now, which is entirely in combat, I have my shield, evasion, stealth, and perception gain roughly in line. I have a bit more perception, as a legacy from before I got my training act together, but otherwise it's in line with what I would expect from my skillset. My stealth definitely isn't lagging behind. In fact, it's ever so slowly gaining on my perception due to the rank difference.

If the issue is that these people can just train out of combat... again, we're back to the fact that these people are choosing a sub-optimal way to train and are neglecting combat skills, or are forced to for required skills. If their out-of-combat training time + their in-combat training time is greater than your in combat training time, then that's just an issue of the other person spending more time training than you. That's just how it works. If some of their training was sub-optimal, your combats might be in line together to give the illusion of parity, but it would only be an illusion in terms of time spent. If their combats are lower than yours, but they still see you, then just kill them with weapons/TM and be happy? I mean, oh well if they've power-trained Perception but aren't up to par in combat. As a WM, it's not as if I can score all my kills with TM.

If the problem is that stealth caps out before your weapon skills, again, I understand. I've experienced it with my baby necro even at low levels (in fact, it's pretty painful there), but this is an issue that everyone with an important primary skill that needs to be trained in combat deals with. I don't really see it as a problem or something that needs to be changed.

Finally, if the issues is that they can WATCH or engage other countermeasures once you're there... again, I see this as appropriate. I believe the whole, "I can attack and attack and you can't see me no matter what you do" thing should be the province of battles only where you completely outclass the opponent. This is why I think Stealth attacks should be better than they are. Because, at-level, you shouldn't assume that you're going to get lots of them in, IMO.

- Saragos