Studying Firstaid in compendiums, tomes, etc 12/10/2020 05:55 PM CST
As a former medical student I just wanted to point out that the way we study charts in compendiums, etc. Is a touch inaccurate from my own real life experiences.

For examples:

In a sudden moment of clarity, the information on the chart suddenly makes sense to you.
Roundtime: 10 seconds.

You begin to study the Lanky Grey Lach chart, having a difficult time comprehending the advanced text.

You attempt to continue studying the chart, but find it very difficult.

You attempt to study the chart, but find it almost impossible to do.

Now... in my real life experiences of studying charts of the human body, to become a Radiologist how it might go is more like:

study compendium
You carefully look over the blood-stained chart, it has a great many terms carefully and precisely outlined. With some difficulty you pick out three terms and attempt to memorize their names, pronunciations, and placements.

study tome
You carefully look over the different bone structures and pieces on the chart, carefully considering the different terms. You attempt to memorize them name for name and then covering the chart with one of your hands, you quickly check your memory. After several moments you uncover the terms to check your answers.

study medical chart
You carefully consider the different drawings of the heart of (animal), and carefully compare it to how it differs and shares some similiarities from a living human heart.
Re: Studying Firstaid in compendiums, tomes, etc 12/10/2020 06:25 PM CST
I think that the biggest issue with this is, you are attempting to put the modern world into a fantasy world. I find it very hard to believe that anything in the world of Elanthia would mirror the real world. In fact, we know that it does not. Attempts to add realism to aspects of the game just really ruin the magic circle of the game. It just kicks immersion right in the mouth.
Re: Studying Firstaid in compendiums, tomes, etc 12/10/2020 09:40 PM CST
>>a touch inaccurate

I love me some purple prose (and I mean this honestly, I like the way you wrote out the charts), but I don't see how the in-game versions are wrong as much as they they have less detailed language compared to what you're suggesting.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Studying Firstaid in compendiums, tomes, etc 12/11/2020 07:37 AM CST
What about leaving the tomes and compendiums as they are, and having wall charts comparable to the art in museums that give a big boost to learning first aid but have a fairly large cool-down period? And the more skill and scholarship the student has, the more details the students will note- including those of a level the original poster proposed? First Aid does need some love: We've all complained about that for years.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy