Foraging Changes 01/01/2020 01:31 PM CST
It is now possible to forage most things outside of their natural habitat. Exceptions include special areas like Taisidon, and water rooms.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Foraging Changes 01/01/2020 02:23 PM CST
Is this a change to just removing restrictions or is it skill based to open up what can be found when/where?

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: Foraging Changes 01/01/2020 03:11 PM CST
I love this change. Thank you!
Re: Foraging Changes 01/01/2020 04:13 PM CST
>Is this a change to just removing restrictions or is it skill based to open up what can be found when/where?

It's skill based. I forgot to mention that it's more difficult to find outside it's natural habitat.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Foraging Changes 01/01/2020 10:05 PM CST
I was able to find every herb in one room except for plovik and hulij leaves.
Re: Foraging Changes 01/02/2020 03:30 AM CST
>I was able to find every herb in one room except for plovik and hulij leaves.

Since plovik is found in water areas, and hulij is usually found where you find plovik, and since one of the restrictions GM Javak mentioned was that it didn't apply to "water rooms", I guess that makes sense? So now, we just have 2 room criteria to consider: Is what you are looking for found in a quest/special zone or is it found in water. If the answer is no to both those questions, than with enough skill we should be able to forage it everywhere else.

Also, these changes really do apply to ALL room restrictions. I had logged in to the game in an indoor room and was able to find all the things. Was a little surreal finding dioica sap in the Lanternside Inn foyer.

As an aside, wherever clover has been hiding all these years, it's on the menu now!
>You move slightly to the right, hoping to find a better foraging spot.
>You manage to find a sprig of four-leafed clover.
(disclaimer: clover isn't useful for anything that I know of, it just bugged the heck out of me that I could never seem to find it, even after all these years of it being "possible"...heh)

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: Foraging Changes 01/02/2020 07:15 AM CST
Fantastic! I had been spending a few days in Plat foraging for stuff to venture into alchemy with, and it frustrated me that I couldn't find stuff that I had been able to find since I was a newbie.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Foraging Changes 01/02/2020 07:49 AM CST
So this is a question where the people interested in the answer may be limited to an audience of 1 (me!), as overall I can't see this foraging change as being anything but a useful and needed update for the greater community.

But, is there any way that now we could get access to some sort of AREA ASSESS, or maybe open the RECALL system up for showing the specific terrain details of a room? Heck, even just a wand you can wave in a room to report on the terrain and/or foraging specifics?

I am holding off on stripping the foraging information from my maps for a bit, to see how the system settles out and if that information is now just clutter or if it'll still be useful. I was just going to ditch it all, but then I realized that with the "skill check" component, it may still be useful to people that pull that information from my maps (http://www.kythsjournal.com/maps.htm), and by extension, the information I send to Olwydd for the searchable herb database (https://www.olwydd.org/herbs/forage.php).

However, I have quite a bit of Outdoorsmanship, and I suspect that I am going to be able to find just about every herb in just about every room, which will make it impossible for me (without using an alt which...ugh, no) to then document herbs native to each room going forward.

Anyhow, I am happy to see this release for the QoL of all players, it's a good one!

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: Foraging Changes 01/02/2020 08:05 AM CST
At one point in time I swear there was an ordered list of easiest to hardest things to forage, but my wiki-fu is failing me. Can someone point me to the list?

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Foraging Changes 01/02/2020 08:13 AM CST
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Foraging_compendium

Hey Kythryn (or anyone), do you know if that's a complete list?

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Foraging Changes 01/02/2020 08:29 AM CST
Hanryu,

I think it's 99% complete. For instance, the nightshade blossom you can forage in the Darkmist Moor isn't on there, but that's also a quest component, so it's also not necessarily a true "foragable".

And I've found a couple oddities, like I can't find mistletoe everywhere, so it may still be winter+tree restricted. And I can't find the Phelim shell everywhere, but I can find the other common shells, so I'm thinking that since it is also a quest(ish) item, it's still only found in limited locations.

But yea, that list on the wiki is pretty complete IMO.

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
Re: Foraging Changes 01/02/2020 08:41 AM CST
Awesome, thanks for the info.

To the GMs, in the spirit of give an inch, ask for a mile, how about some harder things to forage? :)

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Foraging Changes 01/02/2020 08:55 AM CST
>To the GMs, in the spirit of give an inch, ask for a mile, how about some harder things to forage? :)

mmm, maybe some of those could be additional herbs to tie into the Remedies system but with a lower workability. So for example, maybe some "Borage" could be added into the system with a workability of 10 and would be interchangeable with Blue Flowers (or Jadice Flower). That way, we could extend the training on some of the tiers by using a harder herb when we're getting close to tipping over. Be nice if the new herbs had a higher value too to give the final workorder payouts a little bump...:P

I guess it wouldn't hurt to add ones with a higher workability too then, so you could attempt harder tiers sooner.

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
Re: Foraging Changes 01/02/2020 08:30 PM CST
Hanryu, there is such a list at Olwydd.org: I found it while searching for a couple of herbs right before the foraging changes.

That does bring up an item, though: Belradi moss, which used to grow in the quartz gargoyle cave, has disappeared. It has also disappeared from the herb list. Was that supposed to happen? And incidentally, recall herb never did work right for lujavik root and a few other items. I assume that's one of the things you're trying to fix.

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Foraging Changes 01/03/2020 06:45 AM CST
It doesn't look like Olwydd's list (https://www.olwydd.org/herbs/compendium.php) was ever updated with the Remedies-release herbs, like belradi moss. That wiki link Hanryu pulled up (https://elanthipedia.play.net/Foraging_compendium) is what you prob. want to use when checking things out.

Good catch on belradi missing from the RECALL HERB topics:
>You recall the following healing herbs: blocil berries, eghmok moss, genich stem, georin grass, hulnik grass, hisan salve, jadice flower, jadice pollen, muljin sap, nemoih root, nilos grass, nuloe stem, plovik leaf, qun pollen, riolur leaf, sufil sap, yelith root, cebi root, junliar stem, hulij leaves, lujeakave root, ojhenik root, aloe leaf, dioica sap, and ithor root.

Looks like aevaes leaves are missing from the list too, while jadice pollen made its way back on.

>Belradi moss, which used to grow in the quartz gargoyle cave, has disappeared
[Talas Sagamat, Northeastern Tunnel]
Dagger-like stalactites protrude from the ceiling and reach halfway to the ground. On the outer edges of the tunnel's ground are tiny bumps in the stone, either the early beginnings of stalagmite companions to their hanging counterparts or a natural deformation in the stone. Small grains of a sand-like substance are piled around the bumps and seem to follow a barely discernible winding groove.
Obvious exits: northeast, southwest.
>for bel moss
With skill and nimble fingers you avoid the centipede that runs along in front of your fingers.
You manage to find some belradi moss.

I did find it just now (along with some other random rooms), so I guess it was fixed, or maybe there was something else going on when you looked for it before?

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
Re: Foraging Changes 01/03/2020 07:34 AM CST
>for bel moss
With skill and nimble fingers you avoid the centipede that runs along in front of your fingers.
You manage to find some belradi moss.

>>I did find it just now (along with some other random rooms), so I guess it was fixed, or maybe there was something else going on when you looked for it before?

I would guess it was fixed. I'll give it another try. Thanks!

Re: Foraging Changes 01/03/2020 11:05 AM CST
My changes shouldn’t have changed the habitat of things, just allowed it to be found outside those conditions. If something was available in an area before, it should still be available in that area now.

My changes also weren’t meant to update RECALL HERB, as I had no idea there were issues with it.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Foraging Changes 01/04/2020 08:25 AM CST
I suspect that the issues with Recall Herb go back to the original foraging changes: Lujaevik root, for instance, never did list any locations where it could be found. I found it from Crossing to Kaerna, and all the way out the west gate to Tiger Clan. I'll take a peek at it later, in case something just glitched then went back to normal.

Player of...

Re: Foraging Changes 01/04/2020 08:59 AM CST

Thanks Javac.

Now maybe I can find Genich Stem in Boar Clans. I was beside the turnip patch there and couldn't get the right command to get into the turnip patch.

Bluefalcon
Re: Foraging Changes 01/06/2020 09:00 PM CST

Do not think you want to strip it from Your maps Kyth. Those with less skill are still going to need to know where an item was natively found, unless they get others to forage for them. In a room that might hold 5 herbs, the other herbs that appear there now are going to be harder than they normally are to find in their native habitat. Which means you need more skill. Some now have that skill but the younger you are the more you need the original information. So that is still good information.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup
Re: Foraging Changes 01/07/2020 07:52 AM CST
Thanks Pfanston, that's a good point.

It's obviously not hurting anything to have the info on there, so for now it'll all just stay as-is anyhow. And who knows, maybe there's some good changes in the pipeline following this release that'll help players (with lower level characters) with terrain identification.

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
Re: Foraging Changes 01/07/2020 08:43 AM CST

I have figured out how the new foraging is working not sure what the cap is that lets you find them all yet.

Example 1 Room A has cebi root in it that you can get at 300 skill. Room B has never had Cebi root in it. This means you can get the Room A cebi root as per normal around 300 skill in both outdoorsmanship and perception. But in Room B it might take 200 more skill to get the cebi root because its not normally there. So if you had 400 in the two required skills you would fail to get cebi root in room B. Around 500 skill you would start to get it in Room B. So not all herbs are there for you unless you have the extra skill to get it. In addition as per normal night makes it even harder, rain/snow adds even more difficulty. So what does this help? It means folks with lots and lots of Perception and Outdoorsmanship are being rewarded by getting more herbs in one place but you still have to work the skills to get there. Its not just a here now you can get all the herbs. Highest herb in difficulty is Dioica Sap at around 380 skill in outdoors and perception. So if you want to get it in a room that it normally does not appear in you will need closer to 580+ skill to get it. In fact it might be around 600 skill in both outdoorsmanship and perception where you can start to get all the herbs in one room. Not sure exactly what the number is though.

In addition the extra difficulty in getting a herb from a room that it normally does not appear will make it train outdoorsmanship skill even better. If you use Dioica Sap as an example. Getting it where its normally found takes around 380 in both outdoorsmanship and perception, but in a room where it does not normally appear takes somewhere in the 580+ skill range so it trains hugely higher. Specially if you can collect it.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Foraging Changes 01/07/2020 10:34 AM CST
Pfanston, I think your figures are a bit low. Sharrielle has over 679 in outdoormanship, and a bit over 500 in Perception(at least). In order to find Dioica sap at the branch from the undergondola area, she had to cast a huge wolf scent. Without WS she couldn't find it. So I'm hypothesizing it takes ~300 more to find herbs in rooms they are not normally found.

Bluefalcon
Re: Foraging Changes 01/07/2020 08:06 PM CST
Did I not say Im not positive about the caps? Yes I did.

But Its 679 (outdoors) + 500 (perception) = 1179 that means it averages to 589.5 which could be 589 or 590 give or take. Round off right? Dioica sap is 380. If you add 200 to that and its not raining and not dark when you try for it then maybe 580+. Like I said its an estimate and since im over 1000 its hard to work it backward. Pretty sure jalika was getting it at 731 outdoors with a bit more perception. So like I said Im winging it here till some one with less skill can get real numbers out of it. But it does work like I have indicated.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Foraging Changes 01/07/2020 09:42 PM CST
>Not sure exactly what the number is though.

It will vary by room and by herb. The more conditions a room doesn't meet, the more difficult it will be. Not all conditions are equally penalizing.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Foraging Changes 01/08/2020 09:36 AM CST
Can we get an way to assess the room itself for these kind of environment conditions? It will help us minimize our penalty where possible.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Foraging Changes 01/08/2020 10:20 PM CST

Why have i never heard of Kyths maps! Great job on these, thank you!
Re: Foraging Changes 01/09/2020 06:54 AM CST
>Can we get an way to assess the room itself for these kind of environment conditions? It will help us minimize our penalty where possible.

`survey area` would be awesome. Some combination of outdoorsmanship/perception/appraisal and a nod to Rangers let them boost the check with Scouting.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Foraging Changes 01/10/2020 03:23 PM CST

Wow! This has been great, thanks!
Re: Foraging Changes 01/12/2020 02:40 PM CST
What are the chances of some new higher difficulty Herbs getting added to the foraging list?

Great change, btw.
Re: Foraging Changes 01/12/2020 07:50 PM CST
>What are the chances of some new higher difficulty Herbs getting added to the foraging list?

Yes, please. I don't care if they're useful or not, I need harder things to forage.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Foraging Changes 05/08/2020 10:22 AM CDT
>>Can we get an way to assess the room itself for these kind of environment conditions? It will help us minimize our penalty where possible.

>`survey area` would be awesome. Some combination of outdoorsmanship/perception/appraisal and a nod to Rangers let them boost the check with Scouting.

I think it would just be interesting in general. It's always bothered me that, as players, we can't see basic info about the world our characters are in.