Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/23/2016 10:55 AM CST
I'm trying to figure out how to train a character, and I wanted to know how skills ranks and stats factor in to success. For example, if I'm dancing with goblins, which would help me evade better:

200 ranks of evasion
10 Reflex

or

40 ranks of evasion
30 reflex

Thanks!
Re: Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/23/2016 11:16 AM CST

I'm not sure, but in the scope of how to train a character, I can't think of a situation where you'd have to 'choose' between 200 ranks of evasion and 10 pts of reflex, or 40 ranks of evasion and 30 pts of reflex. Just keep training. If you're getting hit a lot, pump some reflex.
Re: Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/23/2016 11:19 AM CST
A skewed reflex stat will definitely help you evade better in this regard. You just have to be careful with skewing stats because you'll have to balance out by leaving another stat low. At least until you get higher circle. The question is, what stat get's neglected and can you live with it?
Re: Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/23/2016 11:32 AM CST
I wanted to focus on mentals early on, so I wondered how well I could evade with keeping Reflex low for a while.
Re: Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/23/2016 11:57 AM CST
I would leave agility or strength low before reflex IMO. If you under-hunt (which 95% of the population does) then agility isn't going to be that important. Not hitting as often or not doing as much damage is better than taking more damage yourself which means you have to leave combat quicker, and more often, so you are not even learning then. To-hit and damage can be made up for by using skill buffs for weapons, and while defensive ranks can make up for low reflex, it's better to be durable in the long run rather than being a glass cannon.
Re: Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/23/2016 12:17 PM CST
I guess I should mention that it's a moon mage that I'd like to train. So the only physical stat I was worried about neglecting was Reflex.
Re: Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/23/2016 12:34 PM CST
I always push reflex high at first. It helps with entering new training grounds more easily which happens a lot early on. I also typically put a few extra into agility since the races I play are usually agility bonuses and the guilds I play tend to be weapon tert so the extra accuracy can be useful.

Most stat skill conversions tend to be 1 stat equal to anywhere from 2 to 5 ranks That said, those are the more simplistic systems like origami or athletics. I'm sure combat doesn't translate so easily to such a simple conversion because of the way Reflex affects multiple simultaneous checks within combat each with their own situational modifiers.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/23/2016 01:39 PM CST
I'm with Ninevah and Absolon. Don't neglect reflex. You can skip all the other physicals as a moonie but you're still going to need a way to handle physical attacks. Reflex is the go to stat in your case.
Re: Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/24/2016 04:39 AM CST
My strategy is also to boost Reflex high at the start. Actually, I start with Stamina up to around 20 to avoid fatigue, then focus mainly on Reflex.

I neglect mentals for a while because learning at low levels is so fast they're hardly needed. I don't usually start raising them in earnest until past 30th.

To address your original question, yes, you could survive in goblins with 200 Evasion and 10 Reflex, but it would be difficult to train up to 200 Evasion without the Reflex. It may be possible if you are taught for a long time, but it is faster to simply train yourself.

- Navesi
Re: Skill Ranks vs. Stats 01/25/2016 01:42 AM CST
I have a rule of thumb of Reflex=rank/10+10. I bumped that up to +14 for 3.1 though. I keep AGI 4 points lower.

So for 100 ranks of defenses, would have 24 Reflex.

It was based on the stats of a wide variety of characters from 60 to 650 ranks of combat skills during 2.0.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear