Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/03/2016 09:21 AM CST
I'm planning on hunting Mountain Giants in P5, but I need a good place to climb that is preferably north of the ice road (don't have skates.) Mid 400s athletics. I'm hoping someone knows something that isn't on Elanthipedia because right now I'm needing to run all the way to the undergondola to train athletics, and that makes me sad.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/03/2016 10:43 AM CST
I'm not 100% sure, but there may be some number of the trees in apes that would work. When I started hunting in apes I was able to climb most of the trees. Now with over 800 ranks and easily able to climb all of them it takes just three loops of the grounds to lock athletics.

Jalika
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/03/2016 04:49 PM CST

Oh, should also mention since its winter skates are available at the crossing pond now.

Jalika
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/04/2016 01:19 AM CST
There's also the short ferry to Ain Ghazal right near mountain giants, which has lots of objects you can climb practice on. Im only at 325 athletics, but I use the trees (can climb all but 2) in apes when hunting stompers/maulers, and ain ghazal when backtraining weapons in mountain giants.

-Master Ndin
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ndin
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/04/2016 01:16 PM CST

Also as it is winter, skates are available at the pond in crossing for just some gold, if that might make thing easier.

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Thanks for being in my corner Solomon, come back soon.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/04/2016 08:33 PM CST
Ice road needs to go away. Period.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/06/2016 11:27 AM CST

>Ice road needs to go away. Period.

Eh, it represents less of a hassle than taking a ferry/gondola does, I'd say.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/06/2016 11:34 AM CST
>>Ice road needs to go away. Period.

It'd be interesting if there was a bypass (or a few in series) that would allow you to get past the roads on Athletics checks.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/06/2016 02:12 PM CST
What is the problem with requiring ice skates?
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/06/2016 03:03 PM CST
I like bypass routes. It's one of my highest goals to make the Southern Undergondola run and it drives me to train.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/06/2016 03:22 PM CST
>>What is the problem with requiring ice skates?

Worth noting it's not required. You can still travel the ice road if you pause 6-10 seconds between each room. The only difference between that and swimming the route is that swimming has a hard RT you can't bypass (unless you have a flying mount, I guess).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/06/2016 04:12 PM CST
Ice road is just an inconvenience is all. I'd rather just have rt like swimming. As for ice skates. My character would never skate. It's a ridiculous notion.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/06/2016 04:14 PM CST
I've heard a lot of good things about the trees in apes.

I didn't know about those when I hunted in the area so I ended up running to the gondola to climb too..then Corik's wall when climbing under the gondola slowed down.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/06/2016 04:29 PM CST
>My character would never skate. It's a ridiculous notion.

My lake-country Nordic ancestors would probably have taken offense at that.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/06/2016 04:41 PM CST
>>My lake-country Nordic ancestors would probably have taken offense at that.

I for one refuse to believe my character would lower herself to the point that she runs around with knives on her feet like some kind of non-sociopathic warrior of death.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/07/2016 06:09 AM CST
>Worth noting it's not required. You can still travel the ice road if you pause 6-10 seconds between each room. The only difference between that and swimming the route is that swimming has a hard RT you can't bypass (unless you have a flying mount, I guess).

Not purely accurate.

Swimming is also a skill contest, rewards exp, and can be trained down to almost nothing. It also doesn't cause significant physical damage. None of these are true for ice roads.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/07/2016 09:45 AM CST
>>Swimming is also a skill contest, rewards exp, and can be trained down to almost nothing. It also doesn't cause significant physical damage. None of these are true for ice roads.

AFAIK, the ice road is also a skill check (maybe not a good enough one for it to matter?), swimming sometimes trains terribly (providing no exp and high roundtimes), and you can literally drown and die in some areas.

Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/07/2016 05:56 PM CST
When you completely ignore the salient point, I guess it looks reasonable.

The point was that swimming teaches. If it is not teaching, it's because you've capped it, which also means you remove the RT almost entirely.

And I'd like to see someone drown. I actively tried it a few times and wasn't able to succeed.
Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/07/2016 10:06 PM CST
>>If it is not teaching, it's because you've capped it, which also means you remove the RT almost entirely.

This is incorrect, because swimming relies heavily on strength (and, to double dip in the pain, burden) when it comes to RT reduction.

Re: Climbing in P5 North of Ice Road 12/10/2016 06:33 PM CST

The salient points I'd the ice road represents a whole 3m or so of delay. It's really not that bad big of a deal, and you won't get harmed if you simply take it slowly.

If lose your mind at the ice road, fine, but at least just plainly state you want to be able to run everywhere in game virtually instantly. Rope bridge, various rooms with mud, etc.

It's really not a big deal.