Climb practice QoL suggestion 02/11/2016 03:56 AM CST
Right now we receive the exact same message when failing to start a climb practice session due to not being in the correct skill range whether we are below the minimum required or above the maximum it will teach to.

"This climb is no challenge at all, so you stop practicing."

While technically correct for both situations, the message taken at face value implies that you have too much skill for the climb to teach rather than possibly not enough. Also, there's no way to be able to differentiate which is actually the correct situation if you don't know what the skill range of the climbing object is. Being able to know if you just need more skill to be able to practice on a climbing spot or so much skill that you'll never be able to practice on a climbing spot would be nice.

The suggestion: Keep the current messaging for when you outclass the climb, but add a different message indicating when you have too little skill to initiate a practice climbing session. E.g. "This climb is so challenging that you don't even know where to begin, so you stop practicing."

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 02/11/2016 07:26 PM CST

Appraising the climb should be able to distinguish between the two; you should see if its a challenge or not. But it would be nice if there was different messaging on the practice stop.

Jalika
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 02/11/2016 07:49 PM CST
Unfortunately, appraising a climb only distinguishes whether you can actually climb an object which doesn't always have a bearing on its ability to be used for climb practice for some reason.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/05/2016 12:24 PM CST

>>"This climb is no challenge at all, so you stop practicing."

I think there should be a command similar to research for athletics. You can Practice Athletics 300 etc...doing push ups, sit ups and other cardio exercises in the area you are in. This shouldn't require a hard climb.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/05/2016 04:40 PM CST
I mean, that's what CLIMB PRACTICE is. Athletics doesn't just represent "how swole you are" but more like applied kinesthetics, i.e. how good you are at making your body do things like climbing and swimming.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/05/2016 07:12 PM CST

Climb Practice struck me more like bouldering. You're repeating the climb a bunch of times instead of scaling it.

As someone who absolutely hates Athletics, I'd love it if there was a location independent way to train this skill. Put all kinds of restrictions on it - can't do research, can't have cyclics held, can't be engaged in combat, can't be invisible, can't have any armor on, I don't care - anything to make it so I don't have to run all over the region in search of one room that happens to have the thing I need to sit at for ~10m locking the damned skill.
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/05/2016 08:59 PM CST

>>I mean, that's what CLIMB PRACTICE is. Athletics doesn't just represent "how swole you are" but more like applied kinesthetics, i.e. how good you are at making your body do things like climbing and swimming.

Currently Athletics covers a very wide range of activities. I just think it'd be nice now that its named Athletics and no longer swimming and climbing. Does climbing really represent the only way to get athletics? You can train it with Flee in combat as well. Its just a quality of life suggestion to make athletics trainable in more varied ways.

Maybe if you added in something like Train Athletics it would teach less than finding a climb, but its more convenient for someone who doesn't feel the need to go scale a cliff, jump into a river or flee from wild goblins and still wants to stay in shape.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/06/2016 02:34 AM CST
Athletics ranks are not an abstract of "staying in shape" though. That is what I'm trying to explain.

I would love to see more ranges of objects put around in more places and for swimming experience to get a bump up in general, but the range of activities that Athletics covers is fine.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/06/2016 12:30 PM CST
>>Athletics ranks are not an abstract of "staying in shape" though. That is what I'm trying to explain.

And i'm saying athletics can be trained in broader ways than swimming or climbing. I understand you fine. You shouldn't need a tree, river or rock to gain "athletics".

Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/06/2016 12:41 PM CST
>>Athletics doesn't just represent "how swole you are" but more like applied kinesthetics, i.e. how good you are at making your body do things like climbing and swimming.

Exactly. Why are you advocating you need a climb in order to do this? Why is there confusion about training this with a command? I mean its not like Athletics is only factored into swimming and climbing. Its covers a broad range of actions and it shouldn't be surprising you could train it doing exercise, which is essentially what climbing and swimming are.

Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/06/2016 01:08 PM CST
>>I mean its not like Athletics is only factored into swimming and climbing.

Eh... given that it was a combination of the swimming and climbing skills and I don't think we've really released anything athletic since 3.0 this isn't an entirely accurate statement.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/06/2016 01:13 PM CST
> Eh... given that it was a combination of the swimming and climbing skills and I don't think we've really released anything athletic since 3.0 this isn't an entirely accurate statement.

Well technically there are a few Escaping places that were put into Athletics (webs, mud, etc.) in addition to those two. I can understand that annoyance of needing to go to very specific places with high enough Athletics to even train it and having a more general way would be nice even at a reduced learning rate. At the same time, I see that this would devalue certain auction, quest, and rare items that help you actually do this.
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/06/2016 03:44 PM CST
Hitting a button that says "gain athlets experience" sounds boring. Climb practice is already pretty lame in that respect but this seems even less fun.

I already want to type QUIT and boot up Skyrim instead every time I collect a pile or open a compendium.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/06/2016 04:29 PM CST
>Hitting a button that says "gain athlets experience" sounds boring.

Ya, I mean, spamming climb 40 times on the undergondola, alone, for 2 hours, that's so awesome.

Or hitting a button that says '.climbcrossingswalls', also awesome.
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/06/2016 05:05 PM CST
>>Ya, I mean, spamming climb 40 times on the undergondola, alone, for 2 hours, that's so awesome.

AFAIK, if you're doing that for two hours you're training in an area that is too easy.

>>Or hitting a button that says '.climbcrossingswalls', also awesome.

I understand what you're saying, but "people just script it" could be an argument made for pretty much every skill in the game. I don't know of a particular skill I don't have a script for.

Honestly, the problems of Athleticism is that it's a skill that has a useful application that you rarely have to take advantage of in a repetitive (or naturally time-consuming) manner, which is how every other skill in the game generally trains. In other words, the time it takes to "naturally" use it is by no means enough time to train it. It's not like opening boxes, or mining, or evading, or training weapons/armors, or casting magic (at least combat magic...), or crafting items... etc. When people train those skills, they lock them because they do enough stuff and produce enough results to lock the skill. Athletics doesn't work that way.

AFAIK, the expectation is that someone should do 10-15 minutes worth of "stuff" before locking a skill. There's no 10-15 minute "thing" in athleticism that someone would naturally do.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/06/2016 05:58 PM CST

If only Tog'ball taught it! .... If only it had an effect on your tog'ball ability.

When responding to something, make sure you have the facts. Otherwise you are just wasting time. -sig-
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/07/2016 10:56 AM CST

>>I already want to type QUIT and boot up Skyrim instead every time I collect a pile or open a compendium.

The world is your oyster!

Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/08/2016 12:27 AM CST
I wonder what people would think of an Astral Travel model of training Athletics. That is, you can spend a few minutes swimming across the river (or climbing up the mountain), it gains you ~30/34 exp, and you have around a 1% chance of death. Or you can choose to swim the "safe" way, earn much less exp, and have a 0% chance of death (basically as now).

- Navesi
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/08/2016 07:54 AM CST
I'd love it.
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/08/2016 09:31 AM CST
I hate anything that involves insta-death, because insta-death means I have to refill pools.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/08/2016 04:42 PM CST

I'm all for it. More spells that blow limbs off please while you are at it.

Re: Climb practice QoL suggestion 03/08/2016 06:23 PM CST
Anything that increases the chance of death is fun. I just usually hope it's at the end of my weapons. Make it so Number One.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!