Ilaya Taipa Harbor Swimming 06/27/2015 11:05 AM CDT
I'm at 81 ranks of Athletics, and according to Elanthipedia, the harbor in Ilaya Taipa has a rank range of 75 on the low end to 400+ on the high end... Anyone have a notion of what exactly that means? Is it easier to go one direction than another? Are some of the rooms easier? I'd like to avoid getting stuck in there if I try it out.

Also, while looking to see if this had been asked before, I saw a number of folks pointing out that swimming for experience is, to put it lightly, awful. I've had no issues getting my first eighty ranks; has this been changed, or am I just enjoying the advantage of low ranks training better?

I

Kneebiter Zhunee just arrived.
R>
Zhunee glances around the room and says, "Someone pull my finger."
R>
Kneebiter Zhunee runs west.
Re: Ilaya Taipa Harbor Swimming 06/27/2015 12:59 PM CDT
>> Anyone have a notion of what exactly that means? Is it easier to go one direction than another? Are some of the rooms easier?

The rooms along the banks are easier to swim, as you get out into the middle of the harbor it gets harder. It's been many years since I've trained there (pre-Athletics), but I want to say that it's easier to swim away from the harbor entrance (with the current I believe) than it is to swim towards it. The hardest skill checks are going to be the center rooms trying to swim west IIRC.

>>Also, while looking to see if this had been asked before, I saw a number of folks pointing out that swimming for experience is, to put it lightly, awful. I've had no issues getting my first eighty ranks; has this been changed, or am I just enjoying the advantage of low ranks training better?

I think it is a combination of F2P exp drain + low ranks. For the amount of time put in training, climbing is always faster than swimming to lock Athletics. At 400+ ranks this is even more evident since there are less than a handful of places in the game that you can even move Athletics while swimming at those ranks.
Re: Ilaya Taipa Harbor Swimming 07/01/2015 07:08 AM CDT
>At 400+ ranks this is even more evident since there are less than a handful of places in the game that you can even move Athletics while swimming at those ranks.

Recommendations for training at those ranks? It takes me almost 16 minutes to lock it at the Faldesu which isn't really that bad overall. I expect it to stop teaching at some point soon.

-Rixie
Re: Ilaya Taipa Harbor Swimming 07/01/2015 09:58 AM CDT
>> Recommendations for training at those ranks? It takes me almost 16 minutes to lock it at the Faldesu which isn't really that bad overall. I expect it to stop teaching at some point soon.

I've trained athletics on a variety of characters in the Undergondola from 250 ranks to 925 ranks (where I stopped, it was still teaching fine).

I just run around under there a bunch, hit a bunch of climbs. Make sure to hit the pit. Once you have ~550 ranks, add making the final climb to the STR. Wait 60 seconds between loops (I collect in between).

Even at 800 ranks, as a survival secondary, I am able to lock athletics in six minutes. And that includes traveling down there and back from Dirge (swimming the river, obviously).