Swimming the Jantspyre 11/30/2014 03:13 PM CST
Does the difficulty of a swim vary by time of day or season? I ask because up until today, I was (barely) able to swim from Riverhaven to Rossmans and back, and from Crossing to Riverhaven and back. But today, I got stuck at the rock inbetween Crossing and Riverhaven when I tried going from Riverhaven to Crossing, and I got stuck again later on my way from Crossing back to Riverhaven. Once I reached Riverhaven, I couldn't make the swim up the Jantspyre to get to Rossmans, getting stuck in the second room (exits west and northeast).

I've ruled out most other things, because I checked my burden, it was none, and I've previously made the swim with 'light' burden. Also, no visible injuries, and I'm going to check with an empath, even though I've made the swim from Rossman's to Riverhaven pretty beat up after hunting. The weather was sunny, incase that might be a factor.

Relevant stats: strength is 40, stamina is 34, and 141 unbuffed ranks of Athletics (no athletics buff for Bards).
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 11/30/2014 03:22 PM CST
Did you change your armor set up? Armor hinderance has a huge impact on athletic checks. Also I feel like there is some RNG in there, as I've had hit and miss tries when I'm on the cusp of being able to make those swims.

To answer the question, time and weather play no part AFAIK.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 11/30/2014 03:27 PM CST
Double post because I'm lazy.

By the way 141 ranks unbuffed is pretty low to be making it up the Jantspyre to Rossman's (it's about right for the Faldesu). Your strength is what is allowing you to make that swim when you can. I would advise removing all armor when trying to swim to Rossman's.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 11/30/2014 06:45 PM CST
I don't think my armor changed, unless before I was swimming and had a few pieces put away from playing an instrument. I only even started trying the swim when my travel script sent me across the river instead of to the barge. I'll try the swim with no armor and see what happens.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 11/30/2014 07:26 PM CST
I think that currents might change strength with the seasons, but not 100% sure. I vaguely recall a GM post about that sometime ago.

Regardless, 141 ranks is quite low for the Jantspyre even with 40 strength. Even the Faldesu can still cause the occasional issue with those ranks.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/02/2014 03:12 PM CST
I finally had a chance to try swimming the Jantspyre again. With no armor on and no burden, I wasn't able to swim up the Jantspyre (40 Str, 141 Athletics, and 33 Agility). I know I successfully made the swim before, so I tried the only possibly relevant buffs I have as a Bard, buffing Agility and Reflexes with Drums of the Snake and Harmony. Harmony didn't help, but with Drums up I was able to make it up river after a couple attempts. So apparently Agility is a part of the swimming check?
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/02/2014 03:18 PM CST
>> So apparently Agility is a part of the swimming check?

News to me, but makes sense.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/02/2014 07:16 PM CST
Silly question, but are you sure you've been able to swim UP it before? Swimming down it is much easier.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/02/2014 10:02 PM CST
>>Silly question, but are you sure you've been able to swim UP it before? Swimming down it is much easier.

Yes, upstream, but it was actually just once, and I happened to have DRUMS up at the time (and no armor on).
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/02/2014 11:10 PM CST
Yep, you're on the edge of skill needed for Jantspyre and were just lucky with the die-rolls before. Get to 175 athletics and it will be more consistent. At 600+ I dont really ever get a fail roll on the swims, but I know that at 500+ I'd get a bad roll and have to swim twice out of a room occasionally.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/03/2014 05:12 AM CST
Out of curiosity, since my travel script tries to send me across the Faldesu too, what do I need in Athletics for that particular trip? I always seem to get stuck in the middle.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/03/2014 06:26 AM CST
With 141 and your stats it might take a couple of tries to get past the rock, but I'd guess once you get past 150 it should get better in the Faldesu.

As mentioned before, you will need 170+ to consistently swim up the Jantspyre.

I suggest that you embrace sorcery and find yourself an Athletics scroll. I bet it would solve your problems until you had the raw skill to make those swims.

In the meantime I would remove your armor every time you head North from Crossing and use all the buffs you can till you hit 200 in Athletics.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/03/2014 08:16 PM CST
Or just use the ferry that is ridiculously fast now compared to before.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/11/2014 12:27 PM CST
Drums of the Snake used to provide a modest climbing boost. Now that climbing and swimming are combined, the boost probably got rolled into Athletics.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Drums_of_the_Snake_(2.0)
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/11/2014 12:28 PM CST
> Drums of the Snake used to provide a modest climbing boost. Now that climbing and swimming are combined, the boost probably got rolled into Athletics.

These days it's just agility and locksmithing.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/11/2014 01:05 PM CST
I just tested with my bard, and I don't see any reduction in average swimming RT with or without DRUM. My magic skill is a little low compared to my athletics, but I'm skeptical that there's any effect.

Of course, I'm remembering now that 'exp mods' exists, and it also confirms that there's no athletics boost.
Re: Swimming the Jantspyre 12/11/2014 08:44 PM CST

Right now the two best ways to get a boost for climbing/swimming is to boost strength and/or boost athletics. Also note that if you have a burden tne EASE BURDEN spell will most definately help. The next way after those three is make sure you swim without armor worn. You tend to learn better when you swim that way.

I know there are spells that can boost strength and Athletics (ranger spell Athleticism). So those are your best options to look for.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.