Swimming Experience 12/04/2013 01:23 PM CST
Any chance swimming experience could be ~tripled. It's probably one of the worst training skills in the game. (which is why everyone climbs) But it would be nice to have the option to train athletics via swimming as well.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Swimming Experience 12/04/2013 02:45 PM CST
Swimming = Athletics = Climbing.. Try climbing for Athletics.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Swimming Experience 12/04/2013 03:21 PM CST
The OP's point is the suboptimal quality of training Athletics via swimming vs climbing.
Re: Swimming Experience 12/04/2013 03:31 PM CST
IMO swimming is always going to be suboptimal to climbing because swimming has a RT and climbing doesn't.

As far as I can tell, swimming also has a heavy stat component when determining RT (which seems to not always be connected to success in swimming a room or not). I know I hit a wall when it came to training swimming because I've intentionally decided to cap my Gnome's strength at 30.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Swimming Experience 12/04/2013 07:26 PM CST
>> IMO swimming is always going to be suboptimal to climbing because swimming has a RT and climbing doesn't.

I may be wrong, but it certainly sounds like you're trying to make a case against raising swimming experience.

CLIMB practice trains far better than swimming, and it also prevents you from doing many things. IMO, Swimming should net more experience per action than climbing by virtue of this.

Either way, the Undergondola will still be de-facto the best place in the game to train Athletics.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Swimming Experience 12/04/2013 10:32 PM CST
>>I may be wrong, but it certainly sounds like you're trying to make a case against raising swimming experience.

I'm not against raising swimming experience, I'm just pointing out that climbing experience is always going to be the go-to option because it's roundtime free. Your ability to get athletics by climbing is only bottlenecked by how many rooms you can script through at once.

I'm all for more swimming experience, but I'd also hope to see the way roundtime reductions and etc get calculated also get reassessed when swimming, because otherwise it's still going to be the #2 choice.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Swimming Experience 12/05/2013 03:17 AM CST
>>Your ability to get athletics by climbing is only bottlenecked by how many rooms you can script through at once.

And the timer. (I assume you meant to include that.)

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Swimming Experience 12/05/2013 07:42 AM CST
Yeah swimming would probably always be #2 choice, that is fine. But yeah I think you are right, something is fishy with the RTs so maybe they could be looked at/reduced and experience increased a lot. It should be ok to train swimming even if not super quick like climbing.

Or just leave the RTs as is, and add an exp bonus based on the RT you get. (Sort of like what was added to crossbow load times)

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Swimming Experience 12/05/2013 05:34 PM CST
I've found that there are "sweet spots" where swimming can yield incredibly fast exp, but they're not nearly available enough to be considered practical. (300ish athletics can get a few learnrates swimming one-way thru Faldesu with mostly 1s RTs)

So...yeah, a swim exp uptweak would be nice. CLIMB PRACTICE works great but only if you know the spots (or someone who does).
Re: Swimming Experience 05/12/2014 11:49 AM CDT
Bumping this. At least a little uptweak in swimming would be divine. I can jump every wall in crossing in 38 seconds and get to 6/34. Why are the walls even there, invaders can just climb them with no RT? But swimming where I get 4-7 second RT gets me to 6/34 in 10 minutes. That's a huge difference. There are places no one swims because of it, yet nearly everyone .shardclimb and .crossingclimb. It's kind of absurd.

--Sunny
Re: Swimming Experience 08/25/2014 10:44 AM CDT
Not even a response!

So a pet peeve has cropped up. It seems if you are prone in the water (swimming position) there is a way way WAY higher chance to be dragged by the current than if you are "standing" (doggy paddling), even in water neck deep or over your head. So much so that I can "stand" in a neck deep area of an inlet and not get dragged at all, yet I go prone and am dragged within 20 seconds almost every time.

It hinders my immersion. Have you ever tried to stand in a neck deep current or undertow? I'm not a Rakash. Down with doggy paddling! Bring the backstroke back!

---Sunny
Re: Swimming Experience 08/25/2014 11:15 AM CDT
is there a specific area and reason that you go prone in water so often? Are you hunting something like sharks?

Nikpack
Re: Swimming Experience 08/25/2014 11:36 AM CDT
>>It seems if you are prone in the water (swimming position) there is a way way WAY higher chance to be dragged by the current than if you are "standing" (doggy paddling)

Might be easier to just assume that prone in deep water doesn't mean swimming position and standing in deep water doesn't mean doggy paddling.

Re: Swimming Experience 08/25/2014 11:52 AM CDT
>Might be easier to just assume that prone in deep water doesn't mean swimming position and standing in deep water doesn't mean doggy paddling.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think prone means in deep water if you're envisioning something other than a swimming position since you're typically vertical, supine or prone.

Unless you envision your character submersed and drowning if they're prone, either is pretty topkek.
Re: Swimming Experience 08/25/2014 12:49 PM CDT
>>I'd be interested in hearing

Liar.

>>Unless you envision your character submersed and drowning if they're prone

Just "in a not-optimal position," given the context of what prone generally/mechanically means in DR.

Re: Swimming Experience 08/25/2014 02:56 PM CDT
So what would you consider a prone position in deep water if it's not in a swimming position?

I'm truly curious.
Re: Swimming Experience 08/25/2014 05:44 PM CDT
>>So what would you consider a prone position in deep water if it's not in a swimming position?

A bad one, which isn't good for swimming.

>>I'm truly curious.

Liar.

Re: Swimming Experience 08/26/2014 12:28 AM CDT

<<Bumping this. At least a little uptweak in swimming would be divine. I can jump every wall in crossing in 38 seconds and get to 6/34. Why are the walls even there, invaders can just climb them with no RT? But swimming where I get 4-7 second RT gets me to 6/34 in 10 minutes. That's a huge difference. There are places no one swims because of it, yet nearly everyone .shardclimb and .crossingclimb. It's kind of absurd. >>

Not sure how to respond to this. But lets just try this out. There are places in crossing where you can climb (even using climb practice PLACE) and get your skill over 700+. So it appears to me you have not found any of those places yet. In addition the selgotha has an island on it where climbing can go well over 550, and your better off using climb practice there too. And you learn it quite fast. Also in shard you can use climbing to get over 1100 without too much problem, and pretty close to 1000 using swimming, but thats the nature of climbing and swimming. Not every province has the ability to hit those high levels. The .crossingclimb (though I've not looked at it for some time) really does not cover really high skill levels. Most of the walls can be climbed to around 350 skill or so without too much problem. Beyond that you have to start finding the little places that work it higher. And yes no one with higher skills bothers to swim in most places that dont train them unless its an area to get past a ferry or gondola or some other barrier.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Swimming Experience 08/26/2014 12:42 AM CDT
>Not sure how to respond to this. But lets just try this out.

Well, not all places in the game have that convenience. Some have swimming but no climbing, or climbing and no swimming, for certain skill ranges. I just recently tried comparing swimming to climbing again around Hib. This lead me to the giant river in Ain Ghazal. It is quite difficult in some places and I was only able to swim East/West in a few rooms, and only the West direction movement taught me. I gave up after about 15 minutes when I was only at about 4/34, even though every other direction in every other room was impossible for me to swim. Luckily, in the same area, there are some fairly difficult climbs to train on. I can lock athletics in about 7-8 minutes using climbing but can't even get 5/34 in the same time (or longer) swimming.

If swimming is your only option, ask for a class instead. At least then you can multi-task other skills.

-Master Ndin
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ndin
Re: Swimming Experience 08/26/2014 03:55 PM CDT
Not sure if your crossing climbing script included holding things to make the climbs tougher. Doing that can definitely increase how long a particular climbing area will teach you.
I used to wield two weapons before running a series of climbs.

I know the original topic was about swimming experience, and I'll have to agree it is miserable to train. I trained climbing all the time and swimming at a minimum to meet my guild requirements. Combining them made me really happy. I trained swimming long enough to swim upriver on the Jantspyre and that was the end of any serious effort.

The undergondola can teach for a really long time. It trains a lot sooner from the south end, climbing all the smaller climbs before you are able to climb the four big ones to the north end. Once you are able to climb the tougher climbs in the area and include them you will learn even more. Again holding two weapons increases how long it will teach even further.

I never thought it was a big deal to run down to the gondola from Crossing for climbing. For awhile I hunted on M'Riss, crafting (and socializing) in Crossing and trained survivals at the undergondola. The balloon was the only time consuming portion of travel, but I could train crafting or a few other things while riding it too.
Re: Swimming Experience 08/29/2014 12:56 PM CDT
I don't have trouble gaining athletics exp, swimming has trouble giving athletics exp.

Why hasn't swimming exp been tweaked to be in line with climbing? Is there a mechanical reason? Why does a 15 second RT swim not even give me 1 mindstate while a 40 second Crossing Climb Every Wall gives me 6 mindstates?

I swim prone because it's a role playing game and I play the role of a swimmer/diver. If no one but me goes prone in the water then just make prone the same as standing in regards to current dragging and only I will notice anyways.

--Sunny
Re: Swimming Experience 08/30/2014 01:31 AM CDT
>>Why hasn't swimming exp been tweaked to be in line with climbing? Is there a mechanical reason? Why does a 15 second RT swim not even give me 1 mindstate while a 40 second Crossing Climb Every Wall gives me 6 mindstates?

This is more because climbing doesn't currently reflect the work = roundtime (or some form of time passage) = experience model everything else follows.

That said, swimming is in sore need of some kind of exp bump. Also adjusting how much strength matters in the RT formula!