Suggestion: Boating 07/04/2012 06:49 PM CDT
Perhaps a hybrid of Athletics and Engineering skill for players to sail/row player-crafted boats to travel between the islands (Aesry, Reshaila, Harajaal, Merkresh, M'riss, Fang Cove). More skill affects row/sail speed and ability to correct your direction, resist weather effects, etc.

Player crafted boats comes as a deed and must be crafted at registered docks. The deed allows you to claim (spawn) the boat to hop on while the docks have the boathouses to maintain them.
Re: Suggestion: Boating 07/04/2012 06:51 PM CDT
Just had this idea popped in my mind because i dislike the current boat speeds but I also dislike the fact that everyone's so completely reliant on moon mages to get between Aesry and Ratha.

Of course the nature of this skill based travel means if you're way too low level you'd drown and either get wash up at a random shore unconscious or wash up as a corpse.
Re: Suggestion: Boating 07/05/2012 10:16 AM CDT
It used to be possible to actually buy a ship. From what I understand the GM that owned that system has passed away and no one else wants to touch it. I'd like to have some sort of player owned ships/skiffs. Even if all it was single masted vessel with a small cabin for cooking/sleeping. Sort of like the single masted sailing vessels you can see in most major seaports in the US.

Bluefalcon
Re: Suggestion: Boating 07/05/2012 11:26 AM CDT
Actually, I wasn't thinking of big free sailing ships, more like the Aesry currachs which you kinda spawn up and are too small to sail across to the mainland with but enough so you can at least sail from Aesry to Ratha. I mean from a design/practicality view its pretty silly Aesry is within gweth range to Ratha but there's no inter-transportation besides moon gates.

For those you then don't actually have to program any full fledge ships, just have a deed, goto he docks, spawn a "currach"/boat, and sail on.

Of course, I don't have clear conceptualization of just how far the islands are from each other so maybe you're right and we do need at least ships big enough with a small cabin. Aesry does register only on the K-gweths after all even tho in everyday life it doesn't "feel" far.
Re: Suggestion: Boating 07/05/2012 07:55 PM CDT
I hope someone tackles the entire boating issue after 3.0. I'm not holding my breath, but it would definitely be amazing if someone wanted to step up to the plate.
Re: Suggestion: Boating 07/06/2012 02:23 AM CDT
>I hope someone tackles the entire boating issue after 3.0.

I volunteer Kodius. He hasn't been doing much recently, and I'm sure he'd enjoy some work.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Suggestion: Boating 07/06/2012 11:13 PM CDT
>>>I volunteer Kodius. He hasn't been doing much recently, and I'm sure he'd enjoy some work.
>>

He's been slacking, good call