Box Drop rates 03/03/2020 09:28 AM CST

Per DR-CORDULIA's request, I'm starting a thread about box drop rates. I was in Zombie Stompers yesterday or the day before and hunted for 25 minutes until I got everything locked that I could, but only got 2-3 boxes during that time. I wasn't logging everything at that time, but I killed at least 20-25 Stompers. I'll try to go in there later this afternoon and try to keep better records.

I think that the Stompers drop rate needs to be looked at. Guys let's keep it polite and on subject. Only post creatures that the box drop rate we think need to be looked at.

Bluefalcon
Re: Box Drop rates 03/03/2020 06:39 PM CST

Update on Zombie Stompers for tonight. I went in there at 6:01 PM Central and came out at 6:25 PM Central. During that time I killed 18 Zombies and 3 boxes were dropped. That's a drop rate of 1 box every 8 minutes. Ummm that should be a drop rate of 16.6% when I went to school. Seems to me a bit low. Can this be looked at?

I would think I should of got 5-6 boxes during that time, especially if you cannot learn anything from boxes that are to hard for you.

And I was not just standing there. I was learning stealth, weapons and armor.

Bluefalcon
Re: Box Drop rates 03/03/2020 06:57 PM CST

Good checking, though I feel a larger sample size may be more accurate. You killed 18, and 3 dropped boxes, for a drop rate of 16% (as you note). But the noise on the low sample makes that tricky - if 4 of the 18 dropped boxes you would have calculated that drop rate as 22%. I would suggest collecting data on, say, 100 kills and seeing how many boxes you have to get a more robust idea of the drop rate.

Note that time to kill a critter is going to vary depending on many factors. Some approaches may be faster than others. It seems you killed 18 creatures in 24 minutes for a rate of .75 creatures a minute.

We can look at the drop rates for Zombie Stompers, and will take a pass at some other popular box dropping creatures. Please let us know if any other creatures feel particularly off.
Box Drop Rate for Creatures 03/03/2020 07:38 PM CST
It would help smaller characters immensely if reavers dropped more. They're always suggested for boxes at that level, but it's not unusual to get only 0-3 boxes even when training all the weapons.

I'm pretty sure Black Goblins were stingy with boxes when I used to go there also.

~ Vanxa

You see Grazhir cracking open in one sharp movement.
The World Dragon emerges, roaring soundlessly.
It moves to sear Katamba to a lifeless black.
You see the night sky, filled with stars.
Re: Box Drop Rate for Creatures 03/03/2020 08:05 PM CST
>>COLDLIGHT: Box Drop Rate for Creatures

I have merged this post with the existing thread. (Having all of these suggestions in one thread will make it easier for us to find them in the future.)

GM Cordulia
Re: Box Drop rates 03/04/2020 09:52 AM CST
<<Good checking, though I feel a larger sample size may be more accurate. You killed 18, and 3 dropped boxes, for a>> <<drop rate of 16% (as you note). But the noise on the low sample makes that tricky - if 4 of the 18 dropped boxes you>> <<would have calculated that drop rate as 22%. I would suggest collecting data on, say, 100 kills and seeing how many>> <<boxes you have to get a more robust idea of the drop rate.>>

Sure i was planning to do that, this was just a brief note to let people have a heads up.

Bluefalcon
Re: Box Drop rates 03/20/2020 11:42 AM CDT
Ok I've got a decent size sample on Zombie stompers. I hunted them over a week now to average out the drop rate over time. As of last knight I had killed 102 stompers and they dropped 16 boxes. That's a drop rate of less than 16%.

Two questions. Is hunting a box dropping creatures no longer meant to be a viable rate of training locksmithing?
And if it is, will creatures that drop boxes dropping rates be looked at?

Bluefalcon