Re: locksmithing change 03/03/2020 08:39 PM CST
I'm kind of genuinely amused that of all the things to get up in arms about in DR, pet boxes is the one ruffling feathers... for some reason. I think I get it. When you're used to having a convenient and easy method of racking up risk-free tdps, it's hard to let that go... even if the other available avenues for training locksmithing (one of which is simply disarming and picking at level and doesn't involve MT or B&E) are all perfectly reasonable.

I am very glad that this, frankly silly, method of training has been shot. It always seemed like an unintentional system exploit to me. I'd be pleased to see the same thing happen to pet bleeders, too.
Re: locksmithing change 03/05/2020 06:35 PM CST
As an additional note, you can disarm all your boxes, say 25 out of a lootsack and put them in your normal box container you used to use for pet boxes. This will put you pretty close to mindlock with at level boxes, say 25/34 to 34/34. Either top off your mind state with these boxes or wait until locksmithing drains, then use your normal "script" to identify the lock, if it is "only minor troubles" or higher difficulty, use just "pick". If it is easier difficulty use "pick quick" which will grant more experience, almost double. Using the two different pick options is for time savings only. You can "pick quick" all of them to get the most experience per box, but are sacrificing the savings in how fast you go through boxes for an extended time to pick all the boxes.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/08/2020 11:51 PM CDT
Is this accurate? If you fixed the "problem" with advanced boxes teaching experience, why are at-level boxes teaching so little? This was from an orc bandit, which should be at-level according to the ranks, the appraisal, and the wiki. Similarly, my newbie character couldn't get to ML after picking 11 boxes from goblins. This is way, way too lopsided, when I can quickly ML in skinning from less than a dozen critters 300 ranks above my skinning level, while far rarer boxes at level barely move my mindstate. And no, I can't do BnE, since I'm a Paladin. Any suggestions, or do I have to purchase a box trainer?

s> pick ident

You think this lock is precisely at your skill level.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

sR> experience

Showing all skills with field experience.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Perception: 265 18% learning (3/34) Locksmithing: 250 71% thoughtful (4/34)

sR> [pick]: pi q

You deftly remove a lockpick from the lockpick ring and begin to work at quickly picking open the caddy.
With a soft click, you remove your lockpick and open and remove the lock.
You return your lockpick to the lockpick ring.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

sR> experience

Perception: 265 18% learning (3/34) Locksmithing: 250 71% thinking (5/34)
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 07:01 AM CDT
The lethality of the traps along with the decreased exp, making actually opening boxes for locks training, not worth it (practically not viable for my character). I've swapped to B&E and the microtrans lock trainers.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 09:27 AM CDT
I'm with Hanryu on this. The box drop rate IMO needs to be upped. I rarely go hunting critters that drop boxes, because they don't drop boxes enough in my opinion.

I relie on B&E and the keepsake boxes I find to train locksmithing.

Bluefalcon
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 01:52 PM CDT

So as a paladin, my only recourse is to purchase a box trainer from the online store? Where can I get one? All I've ever paid for was a subscription
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 02:05 PM CDT

B&E in one of the rooms, a random search/find item are keepsake boxes. They train lockpicking. Each keepsake box you can pick 35 times. Basically a mind lock status. Not sure how much they sell for in prime, but they are found with the break/entering system. Just ask around about the boxes in game. Its about all I can suggest.

Dalkin/Jim
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 02:18 PM CDT

Do they train an unlimited amount of times or do I have to buy one from someone every time I want to train locksmithing?
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 03:26 PM CDT

>get box from wrist pouch

You come out of hiding.

You get a small haon keepsake box inlaid with shards of moss agate from inside your wrist pouch.

>app my box
>
You wonder if the keepsake box might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the keepsake box is worth exactly 5000 Lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

>l my box
The jagged shards of moss agate are arranged to form the crest of House Verille on the box's lid. A small gold lock keeps the box's contents secure inside.
>

>study my box
You're certain you can LOCK, PICK a small haon keepsake box inlaid with shards of moss agate.
You believe the keepsake box could be picked 30 more times before the wear would risk breaking the lock.

>lock my box
You quickly lock the keepsake box and pocket the key.

>exp

Circle: 105

Inner Magic: 377 69% learning (3/34) Augmentation: 338 54% learning (3/34)
Appraisal: 348 02% dabbling (1/34)

Total Ranks Displayed: 1063
Time Development Points: 304 Favors: 6 Deaths: 107 Departs: 25
Rested EXP Stored: 7:59 hours Usable This Cycle: 5:11 hours Cycle Refreshes: 3:34 hours
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information

>pick my box with my lock
You set about picking your keepsake box. With a faint CLICK it opens.
Roundtime: 10 seconds

>exp

Locksmithing: 512 35% dabbling (1/34)

Total Ranks Displayed: 1227
Rested EXP Stored: 7:59 hours Usable This Cycle: 5:11 hours Cycle Refreshes: 3:34 hours

>lock my box

>exp

Locksmithing: 512 35% perusing (2/34)

Total Ranks Displayed: 1227

>lock my box

>study my box
You're certain you can LOCK, PICK a small haon keepsake box inlaid with shards of moss agate.
You believe the keepsake box could be picked 27 more times before the wear would risk breaking the lock.

The keepsake boxes all have 35 uses. Not sure what they sell for on the market. I keep all the ones I find just incase I'm hunting something that doesn't drop boxes. At least that way I can keep lockpicking moving. Or if I'm not near a clan/town to where I can do B&E. It works. Just an option. Not sure if they are sold at trader markets or not, or if you know someone that does plunder that whenever they nab a keepsake box, see if they will give it to you, or buy it off them. Win win all around?

Dalkin/Jim
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 04:01 PM CDT

Win/win? Absolutely! I get to spam chat rooms on a daily bases for looking for these obscure items just so I can OOC train a skill!
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 04:22 PM CDT
You know. I had a really snippy comment back to your sarcasm, but its not worth the words I was going to say. I guess if it don't make you happy, you can always close your account and go play GS4. I don't know what else to tell you. Seriously. I gave valid IC ways to get some keepsake boxes, and your on an OOC tangent. Sorry this doesn't fit your way of RP, everyone RP's in a different way. But your sarcasm seriously wasn't needed. I hope your day gets better and your mood brightens so your not so....cranky. Have a wonderful afternoon!

Dalkin/Jim
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 04:44 PM CDT

Really? What's IC about a Paladin endlessly asking people if they have any spare stolen property as what seems to be the only practical way of training a skill that's been there since Day 1? I appreciate the time you're taking to respond, but it's in defense of a solution that made a small problem far, far worse. Why don't they fix the athletics skill which allows freshly rolled characters to run the Crossing walls to 300+ ranks, or the skinning skill that lets you easily and quickly backtrain from 0 ranks at wyverns? Imagine if a skinnable creature spawned at the same rate as a box, and only taught 1 mindstate for a successful attempt and 0 for failure? Locksmithing is broken right now, and your alternative of "If you don;t like it, leave" will become more and more viable for players who suffer from GMs hobbling the training system in an attempt to keep the superscripters under control
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 06:49 PM CDT
>>>"No other system rewards failure so generously. It is not intended that deliberate failure be a viable -- much less optimal -- training method."

R> experience

Circle: 120

Skinning: 451 49% rapt (30/34) Tactics: 509 56% focused (20/34)

> skin

You hideously bungle the attempt, destroying the wyvern's corpse in a laughable display of sheer incompetence.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

> experience

Circle: 120

Skinning: 451 49% nearly locked (33/34) Tactics: 509 56% focused (20/34)

Wat?
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 08:08 PM CDT
>What's IC about a Paladin practicing to crack safes?

Good question. Maybe you should stop training locksmithing.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 08:26 PM CDT

Nice job trying to equate collecting the spoils of combat with the spoils of burglary. I guess skinning and coin collecting should be taken from us as well
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 08:36 PM CDT
@ASALDIERNA

Do you harvest trap components when popping boxes? That adds experience per box as you probably know. You might also try hunting the newish onyx gargoyles in the Journalai Route near Rock Trolls in Zoluren. Their boxes anecdotally yielded better experience and dropped more frequently than orc raiders for me. Or maybe they just died faster because they didn't have a weapon to parry with or armor, but still.
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 08:42 PM CDT

I'll check it out, thanks. I'll be happy if I can find boxes that train at least a decent amount, considering the risk and rarity associated with them
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/09/2020 09:52 PM CDT
>Nice job trying to equate collecting the spoils of combat with the spoils of burglary. I guess skinning and coin collecting should be taken from us as well

I didn't say anything about burglary. What is it you think you're opening...?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/10/2020 03:28 AM CDT

>>>I didn't say anything about burglary. What is it you think you're opening...?

A locked box. What's your point, exactly? That it's out of character for Paladins to search through creatures they kill and collect loot?
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/10/2020 06:20 AM CDT
>Locksmithing is broken right now...from GMs hobbling the training system in an attempt to keep the superscripters under control

I don't think it has much to do with scripts because the removal of good locks exp followed the release of unlimited lockpick trainers during a few of the microtrans events.

>Skinning: Wat?

If it makes you feel better, we've recently seen skinning trainers released also, so I expect they will fix the skinning exp bug you posted in the same way now.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/10/2020 09:17 AM CDT

I feel like I'm an outlier here versus most peoples experiences, but I've pretty much solely trained locksmithing on boxes and do well. I don't track stats as well as some, but did some spot checking. The last time I counted box drops in cabalists I got 9 out of 12 critters killed. I'm presuming the actual drop chance is lower but I always come away with enough boxes to learn. I don't fail traps or end up with box death if I'm conservative with my disarm speed. I did have a couple fails when I moved to cabs, so I adjusted my speeds to be even more conservative carefully disarming some boxes that were IDing on the easy end. If I have a lot of boxes after a trip I just disarm and a pick, if I have fewer I also harvest.

I get a reasonable number of keepsake boxes burgling (they are in the bedroom) so I keep a couple on hand just in case I run out of critter boxes and throw the rest on my guild donation shelf.

Jalika
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/10/2020 10:47 AM CDT
Off-topic, but skinning exp really is overly generous. There were years when it was terrible too, but the correction went too far the other way, compared to other skills. Especially when you consider arrange is available as well.
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/10/2020 03:14 PM CDT

>>I don't think it has much to do with scripts because the removal of good locks exp followed the release of unlimited lockpick trainers during a few of the microtrans events.

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be better or worse

>>If it makes you feel better, we've recently seen skinning trainers released also, so I expect they will fix the skinning exp bug you posted in the same way now.

How ridiculous. Magical climbing ropes, locksmith trainers, and now skinning trainers? Pretty soon we'll have to train every outdoor activity at home
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/10/2020 09:51 PM CDT

>Pretty soon we'll have to train every outdoor activity at home

For me, all of those things are much better learned without the trainers (though obviously you'll see debate on the locksmithing part).

Jalika
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/10/2020 11:21 PM CDT
>>How ridiculous. Magical climbing ropes, locksmith trainers, and now skinning trainers? Pretty soon we'll have to train every outdoor activity at home

no one's forcing you to do that... not sure why this is impacting your life..

>>A locked box. What's your point, exactly? That it's out of character for Paladins to search through creatures they kill and collect loot?

I think the OP was trying to point out to you that in B&E you're just stealing stuff.. while you think it's somehow better that in character, you take it a step further and murder the owner of the box before opening it.. you're still working locks on stolen goods.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/11/2020 06:40 AM CDT

>>>no one's forcing you to do that... not sure why this is impacting your life..

It is if we're being pushed towards it as the only viable means of training a skill

>>>I think the OP was trying to point out to you that in B&E you're just stealing stuff.. while you think it's somehow better that in character, you take it a step further and murder the owner of the box before opening it.. you're still working locks on stolen goods.

Killing evil, aggressive, homicidal creatures like orcs and gargoyles is murder now?
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/11/2020 06:51 AM CDT
>It is if we're being pushed towards it as the only viable means of training a skill

>Killing evil, aggressive, homicidal creatures like orcs and gargoyles is murder now?

It's fairly clear that you have no sense of nuance, and really just want the game to conform to how you think it should be, RP be damned, so enjoy screaming into the wind.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/11/2020 08:10 AM CDT

>>>I feel like I'm an outlier here versus most peoples experiences, but I've pretty much solely trained locksmithing on boxes and do well.

That sounds like a good plan you have. My issue isn't with how difficult they are, I'm fine with that. The problem is how failed attempts for even at-level boxes now teach negligible experience (I don't notice any skill movement after 15 failed attempts, actually). Combined with the eventual successful attempt that also teaches less, the ubiquitous stubborn box, and the occasional necessary trip to the hospital and I'm looking at having to spend 30 mins or so training 1 skill to ML if I don't want to abandon it. And despite the monumental efforts here to morally compare the combat loot system to the burglary loot system for Paladin RP purposes, I just don't see myself breaking into people's homes to keep training.
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/11/2020 08:58 AM CDT

I personally don't see the point of using trainers. You get experience but no value other tan tdp's. Paladins have unique problems now. You guys have to stand around in combat and train all that armor stuff. We barbs just go in and kill and collect a lot of boxes. I normally get about 50 by the end of the day. The gem pouches have progressed to 200 plat per as I have moved up the hunting ladder. Every where I read it is consistent, Paladins a lot of GM love. Kill more get more boxes but a lot less armor skill. Hang in there. Paladins will get fixed right after crafting is completed.
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/11/2020 11:21 AM CDT
For what it's worth, I think that failed attempts to disarm a trapped box should grant somewhat generous exp since it's a pretty risky activity.
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/11/2020 01:57 PM CDT

>>>For what it's worth, I think that failed attempts to disarm a trapped box should grant somewhat generous exp since it's a pretty risky activity.

Yep, compare that to bungling a skinning attempt on a critter far above my skinning level, gives me roughly twice as much exp ask actually popping a box. And it can only take seconds to find and kill a skinnable critter. Mush safer, too
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/12/2020 02:33 PM CDT

>That sounds like a good plan you have. My issue isn't with how difficult they are, I'm fine with that. The problem is how failed attempts for even at-level boxes now teach negligible experience (I don't notice any skill movement after 15 failed attempts, actually).

That's what I mean though. I was just disarming boxes reading this, so checked script length. 6 minutes to lock, and as usual no blown traps.

Jalika
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/12/2020 11:58 PM CDT
>>>That's what I mean though. I was just disarming boxes reading this, so checked script length. 6 minutes to lock, and as usual no blown traps.

6 minutes is about how long it can take me to pick a box sometimes lol If I identify the traps and the locks, and the lock identification sometimes gets stubborn. I'm usually around 4-5 minutes per box, and I often lop a hand off or get fire ants, the only 2 traps I seem to blow. Then it's off to the Empaths before I continue. I tried harvesting, but it takes even longer than either disarm or pick. It's a real hassle for me. I'm gonna try dumping a lot of TDPs into agility since I remember reading that's the stat that affects locksmithing. I don't have anything to boost the skill or agility with magic, unfortunately
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/13/2020 12:23 AM CDT
>6 minutes is about how long it can take me to pick a box sometimes

Sounds like you need to drop down a box tier. And/or when you plan on popping boxes, ask a Moon Mage to cast Machinist's Touch, or a Ranger to cast Hands of Lirisa or a Bard to play Drums of the Snake for you.
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/13/2020 04:57 AM CDT
>>ASALDIERNA: If you fixed the "problem" with advanced boxes teaching experience, why are at-level boxes teaching so little?

One consideration in determining how much experience to award for boxes is the fact that they pay out very generously (in comparison to B&E or coins and gems that are simply dropped with no additional risk to acquire).

That being said, while most players prefer breaking and entering for experience, disarming and picking at-level boxes should still be a viable way to train locksmithing.

>>And no, I can't do BnE, since I'm a Paladin. Any suggestions, or do I have to purchase a box trainer?

Paladins (and anyone who doesn't want to burgle for RP reasons) who want to train locksmithing should pick at-level boxes.

Locksmithing trainers are also an alternative, although we want subscribers to have the option of progressing up the locksmithing ladder (and indeed all training ladders) on their own, without the use of quest prizes.

Keep in mind that if you do opt to use a locksmithing trainer instead of opening boxes, you will be missing out on loot.

>>the eventual successful attempt that also teaches less

Just to clarify: We did not adjust the experience awarded for successfully picking at-level boxes, the success rate of opening a box, or the difficulty modifiers (pick blind, wearing armor, etc.). We only adjusted the experience award for:
1. failing to pick a box
2. bonus experience only (the core experience award remains the same) for critical success on an exceptionally difficult box (when you "accidentally" open a box that grossly outclasses you)

>>DRSCOTT: For what it's worth, I think that failed attempts to disarm a trapped box should grant somewhat generous exp since it's a pretty risky activity.

Disarming experience was not touched at all. Failing to disarm sufficiently challenging boxes should still award experience. (As you noted, the risk that comes with botching disarming adequately discourages deliberately failing to disarm boxes as a training technique.)

>>ASALDIERNA: GMs hobbling the training system in an attempt to keep the superscripters under control

This was less about controlling "super scripters" and more about encouraging more sensible engagement with the locksmithing system, which previously made deliberate failure the optimal training technique.

>>SAUVA: the removal of good locks exp followed the release of unlimited lockpick trainers during a few of the microtrans events.

If our goal were to encourage people to buy locksmithing trainers, we wouldn't have released breaking and entering.

GM Cordulia
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/13/2020 07:05 AM CDT
>Just to clarify: We did not adjust the experience awarded for successfully picking at-level boxes, the success rate of opening a box, or the difficulty modifiers (pick blind, wearing armor, etc.). We only adjusted the experience award for:
>1. failing to pick a box

FWIW, I think the calculation for what is considered "at level" and what is considered "grossly outclassed" and thus awards actual 0 bits of exp is off. I've got 0 exp for failing to pick things that ID as "precisely at your skill level" multiple times.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/13/2020 09:22 AM CDT
>>GRIM45: FWIW, I think the calculation for what is considered "at level" and what is considered "grossly outclassed" and thus awards actual 0 bits of exp is off. I've got 0 exp for failing to pick things that ID as "precisely at your skill level" multiple times.

I'll take a look and discuss with the team to see if we need to adjust what constitutes an "at level" box. However, it's worth noting that even if your box is in the "at level" range, failing to pick the box will still only grant a tiny fraction of the experience that successfully opening it would have granted.

GM Cordulia
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/13/2020 11:51 AM CDT

Locksmithing: 517

Opening raider boxes, using Khri Safe, went through 18 boxes and I can mind lock it. Disarm id/disarm quick. pick id, pick quick. Orc Raiders on WTH on the pedia show they cap out at 450. I"m still learning lockpicking at 517 and mind locking. I don't ever blow any boxes and mind lock all the time there. I've actually gone the route of using a rope to burgle to learn Athletics and use boxes to train lockpicking there in Rossmans in the manor house. (for the record I'm backtraining shield and LE and 2HE since coming back in April). I"m not sure what your lockpicking skills are, I don't remember if you posted your ranks, but if I"m able to still lock and move the skill that I"m nearly 75 ranks over their cap, I'm not seeing what the issue is? Maybe like was suggested, go down a tier? I haven't blown a box since someone gave me a box that was WAY over my head, a snows balls chance. I even tried all khri up that was needed, I was at top of my game in confidence, and it killed me in one disarm try of careful. I laughed my butt off. But at level, I"d be asking what all your skills were that are a part of the lockpicking system to get your boxes opened. And why your blowing them all? What are your skills in lockpicking and what are you hunting to get the boxes?

If your hunting a critter that takes 600 ranks to hunt, and you have 400 ranks in lockpicking, your not on level with said critter boxes. Again, I don't know what your ranks/skills are. But thats where I would start.

Dalkin/Jim
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/13/2020 12:38 PM CDT

>>>Sounds like you need to drop down a box tier. And/or when you plan on popping boxes, ask a Moon Mage to cast Machinist's Touch, or a Ranger to cast Hands of Lirisa or a Bard to play Drums of the Snake for you.

I'll try that, though the onyx gargoyle boxes you suggested, which was a big help in procuring boxes quickly, always appraise a 1 or 2 levels above "precisely at skill level", which the orc bandit boxes always appraised at skill level + or - level occasionally.
Re: Changes to Locksmithing Experience 09/13/2020 09:34 PM CDT
If you're looking at Locksmithing and boxes, I hope someone takes a good hard look at how lethal upper-level boxes are. I know I'm not the only one that stopped popping boxes because, especially at Xalas and higher, every box is either lethal or lethal-if-you're-not-standing-next-to-an-empath. And even boxes that were "below your skill level" were blowing up and killing me at least a couple times a week.