Mining - Perceived issues 01/11/2017 03:43 PM CST
I'd like to preface this by saying these might just be perceived by me rather than being actual issues.

1. What is the deal with prospecting danger not ameliorating a situation that only moved one step of severity from nothing dangerous to slightly dangerous?

2. Does anyone else experience, after prospecting careful before a room is devoid of resources, a much higher likelihood of an event that cannot be stopped, with prospect danger, destroying an entire vein of precious metal?
Re: Mining - Perceived issues 01/12/2017 01:25 AM CST
1) Analysis of my mining scripts leads me to believe severity of the danger has no bearing on success rate of prospect danger. It seems to be modified solely by skills (outdoorsmanship and maybe perception) and probably a little RNG for good measure.

2) I have not noticed any correlation between prospect careful and likelihood of danger after that, no.
Re: Mining - Perceived issues 01/12/2017 02:37 AM CST
I've triggered dangers just after a prospect danger before, the system is just a jerk sometimes.

What I've seen a problem with is doing a regular prospect and seeing the danger before the room messages, and then not being able to clear the danger no matter how many times I prospect danger.
Re: Mining - Perceived issues 01/12/2017 11:26 AM CST
>>What I've seen a problem with is doing a regular prospect and seeing the danger before the room messages, and then not being able to clear the danger no matter how many times I prospect danger.

I've never personally had this happen. The danger warning is just a room atmo that triggers X amount of time after the danger switch goes on, but it doesn't check to see if the danger was resolved before then. There have been plenty of times where I fixed a danger before getting the danger atmo, and it doesn't break anything for me.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Mining - Perceived issues 01/13/2017 08:34 PM CST
My belief is that the further down a vein you go, the harder it becomes to overcome issues. What I mean by that is the longer you mine in an area in a period of time, the more danger builds up and it becomes progressively harder to clear that danger. Mining faster (such as using a crafted wide shovel with high strength) only makes the danger problem worse. In a similar way PROSPECT CAREFUL means you're spending more time in the same room allowing more time for danger to build. PROSPECT CAREFUL also means you're getting better odds of finding something rare. That's how I've understood it, but I could be interpreting some things wrong.

There were times where I was unable to clear the danger in my own room despite dozens of attempts. When this happens you can wait it out (usually after about 10 minutes the danger will subside), try to find someone with enough Perception/Outdoorsmanship/Appraisal to clear the danger (this has worked at times), or press your luck and keep mining.

Since changing to PROSPECT DANGER between every swing and using a slightly slower (yet seven times as durable!) shovel, I haven't run into this problem in over a year.