Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/17/2015 01:27 PM CDT
It has always been a minor source of frustration that bundling rope does not behave the same way as a bundle, but it's slightly more frustrating as an explorer, considering you almost have to tie off your bundles to avoid a visit to the junkyard.

I've always thought it would be great if bundles behaved more like gem pouches, either by allowing adventurers to wear the rope itself, which would turn into a bundle upon bundling the first skin, or by having tanneries give out fully functional bundles from the start.

Currently, I try to remember to remove one skin before tying off the bundle so that when I get the rope back after selling, I can just make a new bundle, but I don't always remember to, which causes a minor juggling act when I skin the next creature I kill.

Also, I think a fair number of players aren't even aware that skins can be added to tied off bundles by adjusting them afterwards. I'm not entirely clear why you have to confirm that you want to tie the bundle and additionally adjust it after the fact. This seems a bit odd and I think adds to the confusion.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/17/2015 01:38 PM CDT
You don't have to adjust them to put more skins in - adjusting just makes it so skinning puts it right into the bundle, rather than your hand first. If it isn't adjusted and you have a skin in hand, you can still put that skin into a tied bundle.

You can save yourself a lot of juggling by getting a hold of a worn skinning knife. This will let you skin without needing to hold the knife in your hand first. Then when you have the skin in one hand, grab your rope, bundle, tie, wear. If you are wearing a bundle already you can wear a second one by pulling the bundle to change whdre it is worn. You can wear a bundle over each shoulder, on your back, and on your belt.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/17/2015 03:30 PM CDT
I would assume most people would want it to automatically bundle. If I had to guess, all these protections were put into place for people serious about outfitting, but wouldn't it make more sense to have it aligned with the majority of the population's needs instead? If you already have to confirm tying it, why would you have to adjust it to continue automatically bundling?

Also, having a worn skinning knife does not help matters, as I would still have to put my weapon away, get the rope, and create the initial bundle so that I can wear it. I'm grateful that they added the TOGGLE option for bundles, so at least I don't have to pull it several times to get it to go into the correct slot anymore.

I'm not having problems knowing the commands--I can work around the current system, I'm just saying it is needlessly unwieldy.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/17/2015 03:54 PM CDT
Great idea! I refuse to tie bundles (so have to deal with the item count) so I can remove a skin before I sell the bundle and start a new bundle when I sell my old one. I hate when I forget and suddenly have to make a bundle while fighting.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/17/2015 04:29 PM CDT
I had no idea so many other people experience this annoyance on a regular basis.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/18/2015 02:08 PM CDT
I used to struggle with that too.

Now I keep a tied bundle in my vault and wear an untied bundle. After each hunt I transfer everything from my untied to my tied vault bundle except for one placeholder part.
The placeholder part in my untied bundle is different than what I skin hunting so I don't accidentally move it and lose the bundle.

Once the vault bundle is full I seek a trader or start on a new tied vault bundle. That was the main reason I moved to that method, having traders sell my bundles for increased profit.
Sometimes traders weren't available when my bundle was getting too big or sometimes I hunt in areas (islands) where traders aren't available, so I store them until I can sell them.

I do like the idea of being able to turn a bundling rope into an empty bundle though.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/18/2015 02:17 PM CDT

I've also gotten into the habit of pulling one skin out of the bundle prior to selling, just so I can reform a bundle immediately. I've been using the same viper sac for quite a while now.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/18/2015 02:41 PM CDT
>>I've also gotten into the habit of pulling one skin out of the bundle prior to selling, just so I can reform a bundle immediately. I've been using the same viper sac for quite a while now.

I do the same thing. Crystal fang FTW.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/18/2015 05:35 PM CDT
I use a 'newbundle' script that lets me customize what I keep somewhat for appraising or tailoring purposes. It even auto-sells it if I happen to be standing at a tanner.

echo ***************************
echo * Usage: .newbundle <skin> <#>
echo * -<skin> is type of skin you want to create new bundle with
echo ***************************

I don't hunt enough to need to tie bundles off for inventory limits, and always sell the bundle once it reaches around 50 parts. By 100 at the latest so I personally don't have any issues with the way it is set up now.

That said, I can see this being more of an issue if your inventory limit is 100. That also said, a simple script that creates a bundle with a new skin is not hard to write, so I don't see this as much more than a minor inconvenience.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/18/2015 06:24 PM CDT
>That said, I can see this being more of an issue if your inventory limit is 100. That also said, a simple script that creates a bundle with a new skin is not hard to write, so I don't see this as much more than a minor inconvenience.

I'm starting to see a pattern here with your posts. "It's not a problem for me, so it's not a problem." "It's not a problem, just script it better, it's not a problem."

Remember the parry thread?

"Just swerve those potholes!"

Hunting and training is a huge part for many people in this game, and having to deal with item limits, even on paid characters, can be very annoying because of the way that the bundle system works. Tying the bundle off is an option, but then you'll just have to sell that bundle too, and you won't be able to take the skin out. I agree that having the bundling rope act as a slot-worn item, just like the bundle, maybe even adjustable to wear in different places like an empty bundle, can be enough to solve a pretty tedious problem.

>I don't hunt enough to need to tie bundles off for inventory limits

Then why are you commenting? Aside from 'script better', this seems like a minor fix that can make the game more enjoyable for a lot of people.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/18/2015 06:25 PM CDT
On a player level, yes, there are multiple workarounds where you can simply make a tiny script that rebundles for you. I do that myself. Doesn't work quite as simply with tied bundles, so the advice of "just pull something out immediately before selling" does not pertain. Manageable, clearly, as demonstrated. The point of the original suggestion was that it could stand to be more manageable, no?
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/18/2015 06:36 PM CDT
I wouldn't take the suggestions to imply that there isn't an issue and the suggestion isn't valid as much as a way to manage the situation for now.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/18/2015 06:49 PM CDT
<<"Just swerve those potholes!"

I think you're thinking of someone else. I've never used the word potholes on the forums.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/18/2015 06:52 PM CDT
And I appreciate the sentiment, but I feel like it was fairly clear that I know how to make the most of the system we have. To be fair, some of the suggestions are phrased such that they couldn't see the value of such an improvement because it's not a problem for them.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/24/2015 12:17 PM CDT

Something seems wrong here regarding item limits. I can literally spend an entire Real Life day hunting and not get enough skins to fill a bundle to the point that it hinders the item count on my character enough to require tie-ing it off.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/24/2015 12:29 PM CDT
>>Something seems wrong here regarding item limits. I can literally spend an entire Real Life day hunting and not get enough skins to fill a bundle to the point that it hinders the item count on my character enough to require tie-ing it off.

This sounds like a good problem to have. Really though if you just keep basic equipment on you, then this is possible because of the slow kill rate at low levels, and ~80 open inventory slots. If you start doing crafts and collect some fluff, or items not needed day to day, then you can hit the inventory limit quickly. That's not mentioning if they try to keep a gem pouch open while skinning too.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/24/2015 01:07 PM CDT
>> Something seems wrong here regarding item limits. I can literally spend an entire Real Life day hunting and not get enough skins to fill a bundle to the point that it hinders the item count on my character enough to require tie-ing it off.

Bundles hold 200 skins. My characters in TF go through several of them per day.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/25/2015 08:30 AM CDT
> Something seems wrong here regarding item limits. I can literally spend an entire Real Life day hunting and not get enough skins to fill a bundle to the point that it hinders the item count on my character enough to require tie-ing it off.

Where I hunt I get skins and gems. Between filling up a bundle and constantly needing to get a gem pouch and fill it with my backpack, I am constantly dancing the line while hunting. I blink and I get 200 gems in my backpack and 100+ skins.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/25/2015 08:32 AM CDT
Kill speed perhaps? I tend to fill a bundle in about two hours.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/25/2015 09:14 AM CDT
Wear pouch. Put 1 gem in pouch. Tie pouch. Fill pouch with backpack.

Same for bundles. Even tied bundles can be auto-filled and you can at least sell tied bundles without a trader.

Just don't get the 'but but but skins and gems' thing. If you're skinning for leather, it's different, but you're probably not routinely (every day) skinning for stuff to tan with?
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/25/2015 10:36 AM CDT
>Just don't get the 'but but but skins and gems' thing. If you're skinning for leather, it's different, but you're probably not routinely (every day) skinning for stuff to tan with?

I have to agree, this whole deal is puzzling to me unless you're looking for certain gems (I filter out stones or gems I want into a separate open untied gem pouch inside another container like my thigh pouch) or saving individual skins. As long as you wear the same color gem pouch, you can swap out a new one without having to change store default settings for your gems. It may not be pretty but maybe it'll help?:

action (stupidbundles) goto SWAPBUNDLE when into the bundle but can't seem to find a good spot.
action (tieup) goto TIEGEMS when You've already got a wealth of gems in there!
action (swapgems) goto SWAPGEMS when You think the gem pouch is too full to fit another gem into.
action (swapgems) goto SWAPGEMS when You think the black gem pouch is too full to fit another gem into.

#################################################
# Bundles & Pouches #
#####################

TIEGEMS:
gosub clear
gosub put close my pouch
gosub put tie my pouch
goto Begin

SWAPGEMS:
action (swapgems) off
pause .5
if "$lefthand" != "Empty" then gosub put empty left
if "$righthand" != "Empty" then gosub put empty right
gosub clear
gosub put remove my pouch
gosub put stow my pouch
gosub put get pouch from my cloak
gosub put wear my pouch
gosub put close my pouch
action (swapgems) on
goto Begin

SWAPBUNDLE:
action (stupidbundles) off
if "$righthand" != "Empty" then gosub put stow right
if "$lefthand" != "Empty" then gosub put empty left
if "$righthand" != "Empty" then gosub put empty right
gosub put remove my bund
if matchre ("$roomobjs", "Shadow Servant") then goto Servant

DROPBUNDLE:
gosub clear
gosub put drop my bund

NEWBUNDLE:
gosub put get my rope
gosub put get %skin
gosub put bund
gosub put pull my bund
gosub put pull my bund
gosub put wear my bund
gosub put tie my bund
gosub put tie my bund
gosub put adj my bund
action (stupidbundles) on
goto Begin

Servant:
matchre DROPBUNDLE ignores your offer|what is it you're
matchre NEWBUNDLE one mighty gulp.|Servant accepts|servant accepts
Send give my bundle to servant
matchwait

Mmmmm...pie

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/26/2015 09:34 AM CDT
> Just don't get the 'but but but skins and gems' thing.

So people are asking that bundling rope work like a gem pouch and your addition to the conversation is "use a gem pouch"?

The request was to have bundling rope work like a gem pouch so that you don't have to randomly get a skin in the middle of combat and make a bundle that you then tie to reduce your inventory count. Reducing the need to have a skin to start a bundle is generally a benefit to everyone and could help with inventory count a lot since so far the majority of responders in this thread have said they don't tie bundles just so they can have a skin to make a bundle when in town.

As for gem pouches, I don't wear one and directly put gems into it for various reasons: I don't want gweth stones to go into a tied pouch, pouches are only belt worn with 90% of other beneficial item count saving mechanisms (lockpick rings, dirt reticules, spell book for scrolls, etc), and the ease in which I can get it out of my backpack and fill pouch without it taking up any inventory slots.

But the gem pouch is just a tangent that is proving the point of the request while trying to detract from the request.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/26/2015 10:47 AM CDT
>So people are asking that bundling rope work like a gem pouch and your addition to the conversation is "use a gem pouch"?

My point was directed to inventory management (re: inventory count) issues.

I didn't touch any of the rest of the conversation. Thanks.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/26/2015 11:44 AM CDT
>I don't want gweth stones to go into a tied pouch

Not to gloss over the rest of your post, but if you're not using your custom STORE option for something else, you can set it to "stones" and spare gweth stones from ending up in a tied gem pouch.

(People may already know that. Anyway sorry to interrupt bundles discussions.)

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Bundling Ropes/Bundles 03/26/2015 04:27 PM CDT
<<Not to gloss over the rest of your post, but if you're not using your custom STORE option for something else, you can set it to "stones" and spare gweth stones from ending up in a tied gem pouch.

I use "ite stone" so that the kyanite and the jadeite go to my container and most of the other gweth stone drops (which are almost always waermodi) go to my gem pouch. I suppose I could still get the occasional lantholite in there, but I haven't seen one drop yet.