Box Training and lack of drop 06/16/2014 08:02 PM CDT
Given the dramatic slowdown of combat, and the subsequent also dramatic drop in boxes, is there anyway we could get the experience for boxes tweaked MASSIVELY up?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/16/2014 09:18 PM CDT
I'd still like a non combat training method. Not everything in DR needs to revolve around combat.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/16/2014 09:38 PM CDT
+1 to non combat training methods.

You'd think goblins would have gone extinct long, long ago the rate at which they die around here!
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/16/2014 10:20 PM CDT
Given that disarm and locks moves to the same pool these days, I don't have much trouble locking the skill. I'm not against an exp bump, though.

My bigger concern is that it seems your locksmithing skill doesn't really do much to offset the damage that a box causes when it trips. If I have an "oops" moment when disarming, it should be the same as a bad roll in combat. Sure, I might get hit, but it doesn't result in total damnation once you pass a certain point.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/17/2014 07:15 AM CDT
>>Given that disarm and locks moves to the same pool these days, I don't have much trouble locking the skill. I'm not against an exp bump, though.

When I was still able to learn combat skills from sand sprites, I considered it a good hunt if I come out of it with three boxes for the hour I spend hunting. This is no where near enough boxes to learn reasonably. Yes, now if I sit there for an hour I'll get maybe seven or eight, instead of three, but this is me slaughtering them mercilessly, when they no longer train ANY combat skills. And this is sand sprites. Historically one of the most prolific box dropping mobs in the game.

Every time I move up the critter ladder, it happens. I don't get anywhere close to enough boxes to learn at a reasonable rate, until I don't learn any combat exp from the critter anymore.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/17/2014 04:27 PM CDT
Since boxes became opitional, I feel like there's also been a drop in the number of people collecting boxes to pass off to locksmith players, but I'm not sure that's real or imagined.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/17/2014 05:39 PM CDT
Maybe it's time to reevaluate if loot box should always give you a box?

ā€œIā€™m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.ā€
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/17/2014 05:42 PM CDT
<Maybe it's time to reevaluate if loot box should always give you a box?

Push button, receive bacon? :-\

http://mdbiznews.choosemaryland.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/push-button-receive-bacon.png
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/17/2014 05:44 PM CDT
I'm not sure it's a great idea to allow an at-will loot multiplyer.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/17/2014 06:14 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure it's a great idea to allow an at-will loot multiplyer.

Agreed. Also why I didn't suggest up tweaking drop rate. Just skill payout.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/17/2014 06:34 PM CDT
>I'm not sure it's a great idea to allow an at-will loot multiplyer.

Meh. If loot box becomes a static 100% chance to drop a box, then the payout calculations can be easily modified according to the number of traps on the box as some ratio of extra difficulty modifying the normal critter loot. Heck, it's almost there anyway, they'd just need to adjust ratios and base rates.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/19/2014 04:18 PM CDT
Some of the older critters in the game have terrible spawn and loot drop rates.

While you wait to see if the GMs will change anything, make friends with the other people hunting and offer to pop their boxes.
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/19/2014 04:51 PM CDT
>>Some of the older critters in the game have terrible spawn and loot drop rates.

Wasn't loot changed two or so years ago to normalize loot drop rates in relation to critter difficulty? A goblin-level critter won't drop a gold per kill, a high tier critter won't have pelts that are worth around ship rat level, etc.

Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/19/2014 04:57 PM CDT
I'm not sure, but also that's not what I was talking about. I just mean that it seems to me that many of the older critters in the game drop less boxes than some of the newer critters. I have no evidence to prove it, it's just a feeling.

However, I am fairly sure that many of the older critters have lower spawn rates and/or lower numbers of spawn per hunter than the newer areas.
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/19/2014 05:12 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure, but also that's not what I was talking about. I just mean that it seems to me that many of the older critters in the game drop less boxes than some of the newer critters. I have no evidence to prove it, it's just a feeling.

Ah, yeah, that's a whole different thing. I thought you were talking about loot as a whole.

Box rates still vary by critter. Some new ones are pretty terrible at boxes, while others are really good. You're also right that there are also a plenty of older critter zones that use the "tons spawn everywhere" setup vs "3-4 spawn in your room" setup. I know it kinda ruins the entire diversity of each zone, but I do wish many of them would just start using the latter, especially when it comes to hunting when not a lot of other people are around.

Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/19/2014 05:17 PM CDT
Yep, I have no problems finding more boxes than I can carry(60) in boar clan zombies.
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/30/2014 12:09 AM CDT
I went to reivers to work low weapons earlier today after not having hunted for a few weeks. By mid-hunt I had 13 boxes, which is unheardof for me. That's what I usually get for an entire hunt. Does anyone know if box drop has been uptweaked or was it just some a fluke?
Re: Box Training and lack of drop 06/30/2014 01:37 AM CDT
Scratch my other post, I just did the second half of the hunt and only got a single box.

That's what I like, a nice steady graph!