Crafting Prestige Titles 07/11/2015 05:02 PM CDT
Has there been any discussion on crafting titles that reflect your prestige? I was thinking of something similar to favors, where the titles unlock and lock based on how many you have. The idea is for the title to be <prestige rank> <discipline>, ie: Renowned Weaponsmith, Noteworthy Tailor, and so on. If your prestige decayed to the point where you go down a prestige rank, you would lose access to that title until you built your prestige back up.

I'm curious what others think about this?

This seemed like a more appropriate place to post this, but I had originally made this suggestion in the Lore forums here - forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Suggestions - Lore/thread/1721543
Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/11/2015 08:56 PM CDT
>>I'm curious what others think about this?

I hate any and all rewards tied to a system that has your ranking decay over time if you don't keep playing a game.

I'd love these kinds of titles if I couldn't end up losing them because I just didn't want to craft for awhile, be it because I wanted to play a different character, take a break from DR, or any other reason.

I'm all for titles tied to crafting, just not tied to prestige. Because prestige annoys me and is the one blemish on an otherwise amazing system.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/12/2015 11:24 AM CDT
>I'm all for titles tied to crafting, just not tied to prestige. Because prestige annoys me and is the one blemish on an otherwise amazing system.

Whereas I'm all for titles tied to crafting and titles tied to prestige. If someone wants to put in the time to perfect their craft, being able to pick an appropriate title sounds good. Likewise, if someone wants to put in the time to gain and maintain prestige, being able to pick an appropriate title for that sounds good.

It's an optional system, those who take the option of putting their time into it deserve their rewards.
Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/12/2015 11:29 AM CDT
Can we have titles where a prerequisite is wearing a specific title? So you could work your way up to "Forging Legend," set the title, let your prestige decay and then get "Forging Has-been"?

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/12/2015 12:04 PM CDT
>>It's an optional system, those who take the option of putting their time into it deserve their rewards.

I put tons of time into it.

Then I took a break from DR because work was really intense for awhile.

I come back, all that work is now gone. It's dumb.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/12/2015 03:51 PM CDT
>I come back, all that work is now gone. It's dumb.

I stopped also but it seemed like it took way less work to get it back to where I was prestige wise. Do higher tier give more prestige per work order?

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/12/2015 03:52 PM CDT
>Do higher tier give more prestige per work order?

The more complex/difficult the item, the more prestige given. Yes.

You say to Tathalus, "Have you ever tried to clean a troll den? The smell sticks around for years to come."
Liev says, "That is my cue to leave."
Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/13/2015 12:22 AM CDT
>I come back, all that work is now gone. It's dumb.<<

Life's rough. Sometimes we have to deal with really difficult situations like prestige decay in a MUD.

I know I am in the minority when it comes to prestige decay. I see no problem with it. If you aren't continuously perfecting your craft, then why wouldn't/shouldn't your ability decay a bit? It's not like you are losing crafting ranks. Just your renown has faded a bit because you haven't been producing relative to others.

What might be a nice middle-ground is to give those who have lost their prestige a prestige-gaining boost for a bit when they get back.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/13/2015 07:30 AM CDT
>>Life's rough. Sometimes we have to deal with really difficult situations like prestige decay in a MUD.

This pretty silly retort could be used with anything negative in the game. Given that, it's kinda dumb to have as a response.

>>If you aren't continuously perfecting your craft, then why wouldn't/shouldn't your ability decay a bit? It's not like you are losing crafting ranks. Just your renown has faded a bit because you haven't been producing relative to others.

Because it's a game, not a job. "I have to do X every so often or else I lose ground" makes the game too work-like for me.

As I suggested in the past, I'm all for two counters instead of one. One counter managing long-term reputation, which never decays, that unlocks stuff like stamps/titles/etc, and another counter that manages short-term reputation, which automatically decays every 30 days, which determines things like leaderboards and other proposed short-term crafting advantages a society might give someone who did a ton of work orders.

My understanding is that it's not necessarily possible (if GMs even did want to do it) because of memory limitations, but that doesn't stop me from discouraging prestige from doing more than short-term boons and be a tool for leaderboards. Heck, the fact that I can't get new stamp instructions if I wanted to bugs me, as well.

Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/13/2015 07:43 AM CDT
To be frank, it's way easier to just give titles based on skill. I'm not opposed to proposing an idea either, nor opening a suggestion drive to get crafting related titles.

I know that's not what's being asked for here, but here's my response either way.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Crafting Prestige Titles 07/13/2015 07:52 AM CDT
>>Life's rough. Sometimes we have to deal with really difficult situations like prestige decay in a MUD.

The last time we had something that required significant time and effort investment but decayed if you didn't use it was the Transference skill.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!