New Title notification 05/11/2015 04:01 PM CDT
Achievements are fun.

Probably suggested before but can we get a notification when we achieve a new title? I find myself looking through my titles whenever I reach a "maybe I got a new title" rank and in my old age it's difficult to remember what's old vs. new.

Soemthing like:

>
You've gained a new rank in stealth
>
*It dawns on you that you are now skilled enough for the title City Stalker
*It dawns on you that you are now skilled enough for the title Nature's Whisper
*It dawns on you that you are now skilled enough for the title Practically Invisible
>
>'Achievement get.
Re: New Title notification 05/11/2015 04:07 PM CDT
Been asked before and the response was that it would be entirely too resource intensive to run through every title every time that a character gains a rank, stat, circle, and every other thing that is a title requirement.
Re: New Title notification 05/11/2015 04:22 PM CDT
>Been asked before and the response was that it would be entirely too resource intensive

Huh.. ok. Interesting. That's too bad.

Titles are tiered at ranks of 10, usually. And the command to list titles already has the function of cross checking on title requirements. Theoretically, if someone were to write a script that spammed title pre list of all title options it would be an extremely unoptimized version of what a title check would do, and apparently could lag the system?

I don't find that response believable but what do I know.

Not asking you specifically, just thoughts.
Re: New Title notification 05/11/2015 04:29 PM CDT
>>Theoretically, if someone were to write a script that spammed title pre list of all title options it would be an extremely unoptimized version of what a title check would do, and apparently could lag the system?

Not one person running it; every person every time any skill or stat changed.
Re: New Title notification 05/11/2015 04:44 PM CDT
>Not one person running it; every person every time any skill or stat changed.

Hm.. that's the thing. Since titles are tiered in ranks/circles/stat of 10 and at minimum 5, it would not be every rank or stat, it would be if circle/rank is a multiple of 5 or if you learn a new spell, I could be missing something else.

Also, how is the title list currently handled. Does it crosscheck everytime you type title pre list X? Or does it already check at attributes 5/10,etc and store them to a table? If it's the former then it seems to open a vulnerability to the system that doesn't make sense if title checking is actually that resource intensive, since you can literally spam it. Implementing a title achievement pint in this case would actually be better for the system. If it's the latter, then the system is already at least partially in place to show notifications.
Re: New Title notification 05/11/2015 05:03 PM CDT
Your faith in the complexity and foresight inherent in DR's ancient tools is heartwarming, but probably misplaced. I mean goodness, most parts of it have trouble counting to 13!

It's a real testament to the skill and creativity of the GMs that DR does all this cool stuff.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: New Title notification 05/11/2015 05:33 PM CDT
Anyone who has ever done any amateur coding would cry if they knew what we work with. Just remember: Our last major engine update was around 2001.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: New Title notification 05/11/2015 05:39 PM CDT
>>Does it crosscheck everytime you type title pre list X

IIRC from previous times this came up it works like this, and a messaging system for titles would have to work similarly.

Also everything ROBERTDH said.
Re: New Title notification 05/11/2015 05:45 PM CDT
>>Hm.. that's the thing. Since titles are tiered in ranks/circles/stat of 10 and at minimum 5, it would not be every rank or stat, it would be if circle/rank is a multiple of 5 or if you learn a new spell, I could be missing something else.

AFAIK, every time you check what titles you have, the system is actually running a check to see what titles you can use. The system most likely doesn't "remember" titles like it "remembers" that you have a broadsword in your sheath. Each time you check your WeaponMaster titles, it's checking every possible WeaponMaster title and then displaying the ones you can use.

Theoretically, too many players checking all their titles at the same time could also strain the system, but it's not like players are proactively trying to break anything (so don't try doing it, geez!). This is also why you have some things broken up into different sets, like survival1, survival2, etc—to reduce strain.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: New Title notification 05/11/2015 05:45 PM CDT
>Anyone who has ever done any amateur coding would cry if they knew what we work with. Just remember: Our last major engine update was around 2001.

Yeah, that's me (very beginner programming, intermediate/advanced SQL) so fortunately I'm just a consumer in this case.

Was just putting some thoughts out there with no real clue on the systems/coding etc.

I just like achievements and title notifications would be fun and rather addictive, which is always a good thing.