Guild Affiliation Titles 08/28/2014 12:11 AM CDT
Since there's at least one title related project right now, any chance Affiliation Titles for the guilds could be added?

"of the Barbarian Guild" "of the Cleric Guild" and so on

I know we have the profession flag and a host of guild related titles, but there's a lot of combinations that could be nice with that as an option.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/29/2014 05:52 PM CDT
The first thing I would do with this is "Warrior Mage Megwyn of the Warrior Mages, Warrior Mage."

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/29/2014 09:29 PM CDT
See? It'a a thing of beauty.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 12:18 AM CDT
>The first thing I would do with this is "Warrior Mage Megwyn of the Warrior Mages, Warrior Mage."

First order of business would be go get rid of set profession since it's seriously antiquated and detracts from the ability to fake guild, which seriously harms the RP play-ability of two guilds.

Second order of business would be to remind people not to be silly.
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 01:12 AM CDT
>>Drscott: First order of business would be go get rid of set profession since it's seriously antiquated and detracts from the ability to fake guild, which seriously harms the RP play-ability of two guilds.

I disagree.

Given the large number of players who choose to turn off their profession flag, I don't think people just assume you're really a Thief or Necromancer just because you have your profession flag turned off.

"To be clear, I am operating under the assumption that many people turn Profession off even when they have nothing to hide. Currently, it looks like almost 75% of those in-game have SET !PROF, so I think that it's actually not very detrimental to turn your profession off in Prime - It's more uncommon to have your profession visible." --GM Socharis (4/11/2011)

"However, I strongly urge you to consider that your knowledge may not be common knowledge - The subset of people who are thieves, pretending to be another guild, and are also using that guild's full name as their title (as opposed to one of the other ones) is a rather small one." --GM Socharis (4/11/2011)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 01:30 AM CDT
Its actually even more repetitive:

Warrior Mage Player Name, Warrior Mage of the Warrior Mages, an elven Warrior Mage.

I'd get a kick out of it personally. It's not hurting anything except at the worst someone's sensibilities.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 01:50 AM CDT
>>Absolon: Warrior Mage Player Name, Warrior Mage of the Warrior Mages, an elven Warrior Mage.

Assuming they would let you use your pretend guild as an affiliation title:

You see Field Medic [Player], Divine Knight of the Traders, a Human Thief.

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 02:34 AM CDT
Why not take it one step further:

Druid Player Name, Divine Knight of the Warrior Mages, a Human Thief.

Nothing like crossing the streams!

Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 03:26 AM CDT
Actually... In honour of this thread I am now officially:

You are Prophet Xyngleburt Pfeffernusse, Prophet of the Prophets, a Gnome Moon Mage.

Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 08:22 PM CDT
The future is now and it's amazing.

Also I want a trader Prophet of the Profits title combo now.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 10:05 PM CDT
>I disagree.

>Given the large number of players who choose to turn off their profession flag, I don't think people just assume you're really a Thief or Necromancer just because you have your profession flag turned off.

I'm not arguing that. My point is, what does the profession tag do that a title couldn't do better?

Currently, if I look at someone and I see their profession says Moon Mage, I know they're not a Necromancer. End of story. So when you take away any hint of mystery of a large percentage of the player base, it does detract from disguises.
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 10:17 PM CDT
>>So when you take away any hint of mystery of a large percentage of the player base, it does detract from disguises.

I have to agree. Despite never playing a Thief or Necro, I've always been a little disappointed in their disguise options, and also disappointed in the Profession tag (since it is a 100% sure sign of someone's guild).

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/30/2014 11:57 PM CDT
>Despite never playing a Thief or Necro, I've always been a little disappointed in their disguise options

For the record, GM Armifer has said Necro disguise options are supposed to be terrible.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/31/2014 01:19 AM CDT
>>Drscott: I'm not arguing that. My point is, what does the profession tag do that a title couldn't do better?

It let other players know that my character's guild is meant to be common (IC) knowledge -- without using one of my title slots.

>>Drscott: Currently, if I look at someone and I see their profession says Moon Mage, I know they're not a Necromancer. End of story. So when you take away any hint of mystery of a large percentage of the player base, it does detract from disguises.

No, it takes the mystery out of that Moon Mage and the other 25% of characters that turn their profession flags on. The other 75% are still mysteries -- at least until they use signature spells or other guild abilities. Every time a Moon Mage casts Moongate, is a Necromancer's disguise less effective because he can't do the same?

If you're opposed to the profession flag, you should be opposed to the guild setting in player profiles, as it is another 100% sure sign of someone's guild. (Granted, the information in a profile is supposed to be OOC, and we expect role-players to respect the distinction, but you're already assuming that people will meta-game by saying, "Bob's wearing the Warrior Mage title instead of turning on his profession flag. I bet he is hiding something.")

Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/31/2014 11:14 AM CDT
>Every time a Moon Mage casts Moongate, is a Necromancer's disguise less effective because he can't do the same?

Can we have a serious discussion? This is a ridiculous statement.

>It let other players know that my character's guild is meant to be common (IC) knowledge -- without using one of my title slots.

Right, but that is basically what a title is for. It seems like you're opposed because you don't want to lose a title slot to declare what guild you belong to? In that case, let profession be faked too, I don't care.

>If you're opposed to the profession flag, you should be opposed to the guild setting in player profiles, as it is another 100% sure sign of someone's guild. (Granted, the information in a profile is supposed to be OOC, and we expect role-players to respect the distinction, but you're already assuming that people will meta-game by saying, "Bob's wearing the Warrior Mage title instead of turning on his profession flag. I bet he is hiding something.")

Agreed. I do assume people meta-game because it is difficult not to.
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/31/2014 12:34 PM CDT
>>Can we have a serious discussion? This is a ridiculous statement.

The players who meta-game and ask to see your post title are also the players who meta game and will ask you to do something they explicitly know only that guild can do (moongate, roar, etc).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/31/2014 02:59 PM CDT
>>In that case, let profession be faked too, I don't care.

This is what I personally would like to see. Seems like the easiest fix.

You know, I have no real problem with people discovering others' guilds for certain by watching them perform guild-only abilities (except for collecting rocks, ugh). That seems perfectly in line with a realistic universe. Even titles as "she's known around town as X guild" make enough sense to me -- I just want the profession flag to be a similar sort of title.

Also, I know Necro disguises are supposed to be bad, and that's okay with me. I'd really love to see Thieves get some amazing options though.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/31/2014 03:53 PM CDT
>>Absolon: Warrior Mage Player Name, Warrior Mage of the Warrior Mages, an elven Warrior Mage.

Since nobody has corrected this...

The system will auto delete the Warrior Mage at the end (or any time a character choices to have a pre-title of a Guild, when the character's profession is still allowed [not turned off])

Moon Mage Blah, an Elothean Moon Mage would thus be seen as Moon Mage Blah, an Elothean.

Ranger Arrow, a Human Ranger would thus be Ranger Arrow, a Human

Thus the example above becomes: Warrior Mage Player Name, Warrior Mage of the Warrior Mages, an elf

So on and so forth, yes there is still ALOT of repetition and if the guild has any non guild related adjective (like master or apprentice or whatever then you win getting to have even more repetition).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/31/2014 04:50 PM CDT
<<The system will auto delete the Warrior Mage at the end (or any time a character choices to have a pre-title of a Guild, when the character's profession is still allowed [not turned off])

Just choose one of the Expert, Legendary, Transcendent, etc. versions for the pre-title and you have the full repetitive glory.

Re: Guild Affiliation Titles 08/31/2014 05:24 PM CDT
>>Drscott: In that case, let profession be faked too, I don't care.

Personally, I think that the pretend guild title system is an explicitly meta-gamish way to disguise your guild. If profession flags became fake-able as well, the effectiveness of your disguise would depend on players' 15-year habit of seeing the profession flag as an accurate indication of guild. How is that less meta-gamish than what we have now?

I'd much rather that they leave the profession flag the way it is and expand other types of disguise options, such as fake auras (for Thieves) and the ability to mimic some of the behavior of your pretend guild. (NMU-friendly magical devices offer an interesting way to accomplish this.)