Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 02:28 PM CDT
So today, I went looking for Rumours. Below are my findings (hence why it is a LONG post) and some suggestions for the system in general. I'm also NOT posting the duplicates. (ie. got a rumour in shard and then again in haven)

Ilithi

Shard - Golden Phoenix Inn:
1.) The publican ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. You wouldn't be interested in a doll would you? There was a family came through here, and the little girl had a really nice one. I hear you had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a real baby. They said they bought it from a Dwarf out in Hibarnhvidar. They said the fellow didn't hear very well and he didn't have any legs, but he sure makes pretty little dolls." (Got this one twice in a row)
My Guess: New merchant in Hib?

2.) The publican ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. There is word a well respected iconic war mage has taken responsibility to create a group who wish to bring about a change for good in Elanthia.
(Also got this one twice in a row)
My Guess: Galain's new group that's been formed (OOC information, don't believe they're IG yet?)

Marachek's Oak:
A waitress says, "Haven't heard anything recently I'm afraid. You might want to check back with me later on though."

Zoluren

Rest of Ages Inn:
1.)Ulipher ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Word is Lanival has been spotted hunting in the Temple of the North Winds."
My guess: No idea, but it merits looking in to.

2.) Ulipher ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Rumor is that Siltoth has been chosen to be trained as the next bard guildleader."
My guess: I call these "vanity rumours". They aren't bad, just have nothing to do with actual "events" and are good for promoting your own RP.

3.)Ulipher ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. The old bard Mordiazi of the Izma Ru'ef is searching for information about Sahfra Thornblade's family." (got this one twice)
My guess: Another vanity rumour, but I like this one a lot.

Sand Spit Tavern:
1.) A barkeep ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. I heard that Colleenie didn't actually steal the gryphon egg I reported stolen before. It was a gift."
My guess: Vanity Rumour

2.) A barkeep ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Segmere's been making a lot of ruckus sparring at the crate lately. Concerned citizens have been meeting at the Saltfisher Inn to avoid him."

3.)A barkeep ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Bistro is a noble knight."

4.) A barkeep ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. I heard Toraf is preparing to enter Kweld Andu! Hope he has a good cleric friend..."
My guess: Vanity Rumour, though I've never heard the name Toraf.

Half Pint Inn:
1.)Skalliweg ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Vacarion and his lady love are getting married. Isn't that exciting?"
My guess: Vanity Rumour.

2.) Skalliweg ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. I hear tell that the goblins west of Crossing have been increasing their attacks on travellers and caravans. What's the world coming to?"
My guess: possible increase of invasions from goblins.

3.)Skalliweg ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Gylwyn left the Spire recently and was seen in the company of Marsais out in the Pejek Bog. What's going on there?"
My guess: Vanity Rumour? Something more? May yield some interesting information.

Gaethrend's Court:
1.)A bargirl ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Word is they finally completed the exploration of that volcano they were working on. Don't really remember what they called the darned thing. Anyway, turns out they blasted a hole in the side and made some sort of cavern in there for people to visit. Sure must be hot in there!"
My guess: Magma Falls

2.)A bargirl ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. I heard Lyras's camp location is southeast of Hibarnhvidar, northeast of Horse Clan, and slightly southwest of Raven's Point."
My guess: Teaser.

4.)A bargirl ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. I heard that Colleenie didn't actually steal the gryphon egg I reported stolen before. It was a gift."

Taelbert's Inn:
1.)A barmaid ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. The shipment clerk in Leth Deriel has been smoking cigars behind the caravan stable"
My guess: possible teaser, fires in Leth now instead of Riverhaven? who knows.

2.)A barmaid ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. I heard that Kelela decided that she hates to shop, and is giving away all of her jewels and finery to her sisters!"

Crossing Monger's Bazaar:
1.) A Human table monger says, "Haven't heard anything recently I'm afraid. You might want to check back with me later on though."

Tiger Clan Home, Pub:
1.) Gurta says, "I don't know anything about that sort of thing."
(She doesn't like non-togs, sadface)

Wolf Clan, Arnack's Tavern:
1.)A barkeep ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. The Order of the Apostles, a group of war-time defenders, has been recruiting. Lancel knows further details." (got this twice)
My guess: Vanity Rumour re: Order of Apostles

Arthe Dale Hollow Inn:
If there is someone to get rumours from, I'm too tall to do it.

Baerholt's Farmhold, Taproom:
Doesn't seem to give rumours

Dirge, Darkstone Inn:
A bartender says, "Haven't heard anything recently I'm afraid. You might want to check back with me later on though."

Therengia

Pierless Inn, Riverhaven:
A waitress says, "I don't know anything about that."

Saltfisher Inn, Riverhaven:
1.) Harwell Dryfoot ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. An interesting fact is that the Imperial Dira is a counterfit coin." (got this one 3 times)
My guess: Someone trying to be funny, since counterfeit is spelled wrong.

2.) Harwell Dryfoot ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. A local warmage and paladin have eloped -- there is going to be trouble when the families find out!"
My guess: Vanity Rumour. Rumours travel, and using things like "local" can be confusing since where you hear the rumour may not be where the rumour originated.

Riverhaven Trader Guild Caravan Stables:
1.)A stableboy ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Sardonica has just returned to Crossing. Seems she found inspiration writing songs in the dark holds of the Dragonspine Mountains."

2.)A stableboy ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Sekoria is a legendary ranger"

3.)A stableboy ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Toraf and Alacondar are heading to Illithi for a while, trying to find a rattle for some reason."

4.)A stableboy ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Colleenie stole an egg from a forest gryphon."

5.)A stableboy ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Traders running the routes between Crossing and the western Clans are suffering from increased attacks from the goblins. Someone needs to do something soon!"
My guess: possible teaser of more invasions

6.)A stableboy ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Former bard now cleric Kleis has is having a hard life keeping his new strict lifestyle. I heard he has been crying at nights and generally making a fuss of himself. Good thing they moved the novices elsewhere"
My guess: Vanity Rumour. (lol Kleis!)

Noble Inn, Riverhaven:
1.)A waitress ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. The celpeze have settled in Ratha behind a barricade buit to contain them." (got this one twice)
My guess: teaser from the release of the area?

2.) A waitress ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. Folks in Riverhaven have seen Queslo and Oldrun on the wanted boards. "
My guess: Vanity Rumour?

I'm still looking for rumours, but too much more and this post will be more unreadable.

My suggestions for the system:

1. Have a way to be able to tell if the NPC will even talk to you. A recall maybe? "You seem to recall that X prefers to share information with Y, Z, Q."

2. Stop having things repeat. When I ask for a rumour, I shouldn't get the same one 2 or 3 times from the same person (usually in a row, too).

3. An easier way to differentiate between rumours that are GM put and player input. I like player rumours, they're awesome but sometimes it gets really REALLY confusing. Maybe GM system rumours can come with a caveat, like "I heard from a pretty reliable source" It's just something I find frustrating. When there are event rumours in the system, I want to be able to share them with other players, I don't like sending people on wild goose chases.

Thanks.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 03:22 PM CDT
>> An easier way to differentiate between rumours that are GM put and player input.

I disagree with anything that serves to put a bigger divide between player- and GM-run events. People already place way too much of an emphasis on whether or not a GM is watching when they choose whether or how to participate in a scene or event.

So-called wild goose chases originating with players can be good things, and can foster a lot of roleplay on their own. They are no more or less legitimate than something a GM puts out there.

Rev. Reene

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not.
It looks as they expect, but it is not."
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 03:32 PM CDT
Thank you for posting that Jes.

- Simon
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 03:34 PM CDT
It's hard enough to get good information about things that are going on. Anything that increases the signal-to-noise ratio, like a clearer rumor system, is a good thing.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 03:35 PM CDT
Thanks Simon. If I get any more interesting ones I'll follow up in Events with a comprehensive list of the ones I found worthwhile.

Right now I'm just tracking who I can get messaging from for Elanthipedia.

__

Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 04:26 PM CDT
Wouldn't a clear rumor system defeat purpose of presenting it as a rumor system?

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 04:49 PM CDT
>> Wouldn't a clear rumor system defeat purpose of presenting it as a rumor system?

Ding.

Also, I hope GMs introduce false rumors too. That would make me tingly inside.

>> It's hard enough to get good information about things that are going on.

Whose fault is that?

Rev. Reene

Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 05:10 PM CDT
>>Whose fault is that?

People who insist that mechanisms set up to pass good information be unreliable, obviously.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 05:13 PM CDT
I don't know, the boards seem to work just fine to me...

There's also the secret ninja option of talking about things and being open IG about ongoing events and information.

Y'know, the sort of thing I used to set up meetings for myself.

Rev. Reene

Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 05:27 PM CDT
There is also this crucial piece of gossip ~~

Golden Pheonix Publican: "Rumor has it, in a fit of gratitude to Erixx the Raider for dealing the final blow to Sahfra, the Ilithi Court has commissioned a finely carved pine-wood statue in his likeness. The statue will be prominently displayed in the south west corner of the Hangman's Noose wine cellar, behind the pile of broken kegs, next to the mop bucket and broom."

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 06:37 PM CDT
By clear rumour system, I mean the mechanics.

If people know who they can get information from, they're going to be more apt to use it. As it is right now, trying to figure out who talks to what guild/race/gender isn't something I think is useful for anyone.

__

Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 06:38 PM CDT
>> As it is right now, trying to figure out who talks to what guild/race/gender isn't something I think is useful for anyone.

I agree with this.

They should at least be something you can overcome with enough charisma, IMO.

Rev. Reene

Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 06:43 PM CDT
>They should at least be something you can overcome with enough charisma, IMO.

Oh, if only.

__

Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 06:44 PM CDT
Pft, guys charisma can't have actual uses.
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/22/2009 06:46 PM CDT
>> Oh, if only.

I thought of you when I wrote it. <3

Rev. Reene

Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/24/2009 03:11 PM CDT
>>Also, I hope GMs introduce false rumors too. That would make me tingly inside.

GM's don't generally introduce rumors that are flat out false. There is usually at least a germ of truth in the rumors. Sometimes the trick is listening to a couple of different sources and sorting out what is wheat and what is chaff.
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/24/2009 05:48 PM CDT
Maybe YOU don't.

Rumors with inaccuracies ranging from "sorta wrong" to "blatant lies" are what make the system fun. :P

Solomon

Fight me:
http://la-bubbita.mybrute.com
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/24/2009 05:51 PM CDT
>> Rumors with inaccuracies ranging from "sorta wrong" to "blatant lies" are what make the system fun. :P

I agree.

I disagree with the perception that something is a waste of time just because it's not "real."

The journey is supposed to be the fun part with events. Even if it's total bullcrap that Solomon or even another player cooked up ICly to make people go chasing after red herrings, if you get together with your friends and talk and go run around and roleplay then the system has served its purpose.

I mean, it's a rumor system. Rumors aren't exactly known for their reliability. But it is a very nice spice.

I just wish that it was more accessible to more people.

Rev. Reene

Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/24/2009 05:53 PM CDT
So.

I went travelling all around Elanthia yesterday, finding every inn and such I could.

Subsequently, I updated the Elanthipedia page with this.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Rumor_System

However, it's still severely lacking in who can accept what rumours from who and who can give what rumours to who (guild, race, gender).

Fun facts:

Without a MM but WITH a cog, it took me about 11 hours to travel everywhere yesterday between doing my regular day-household stuff.

P5 and Ilaya Taipa/Ain Ghazal don't seem to have any rumour mongers.

__

Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 09/24/2009 06:44 PM CDT
Gurta in Tiger Clan is indeed restricted to Tog traders. The Barmaid in Taelbert's is more friendly toward males- especially male bards.
The Stableboy in Kaerna will give and accept rumors from all traders.
The Barkeep in Dirge will give and accept rumors from traders. I've not tried bards there yet.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 12/13/2009 12:07 AM CST
A little more Ilithi data for your list, all done with an Elothean female empath:
Shard - Golden Phoenix publican - doesn't talk to me
Shard - Liani's Heaven bartended - doesn't talk to me
Shard - Milene's Rose publican - doesn't talk to me

SCC - The Broken Blade Tavern Amechra - doesn't talk to me

Fayrin's Rest - Trader Stable stableboy - gives me rumors and accepts me giving rumors
Fayrin's Rest - Marachek's Oak waitress - doesn't talk to me

I'll hop down to Corik's Wall and out to Horse Clan and check the peeps out there. Seems like there was someone else in the provience that would talk to me, but I've totally forgotten who now. Meh!
Kythryn
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 12/14/2009 03:59 AM CST
couple more...

Undershard - Derleth's Teahouse clerk - wouldn't talk to me (female Elothean empath)
Undershard - The Wayfarer publican - wouldn't talk to me

Kythryn
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 02/26/2013 11:44 PM CST

I heard a rumor once
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 03/02/2014 04:31 PM CST
>>Also, I hope GMs introduce false rumors too. That would make me tingly inside.

GM's don't generally introduce rumors that are flat out false. There is usually at least a germ of truth in the rumors. Sometimes the trick is listening to a couple of different sources and sorting out what is wheat and what is chaff.

10 years ago there was a rumor that warmages were getting battle fams soon. That was flat out false. It's way past soon and there is no such thing as a battle fam to date.
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 03/02/2014 04:42 PM CST
A) You've just admitted you just returned, please don't speak as an expert on things, especially when you're rage posting in other places with decidedly wrong information.

B) Please check the dates on posts. This one was last posted to on Feb 2013. That's over a year old..
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 03/03/2014 01:08 AM CST
Don't forget C) Reply in context of the post you're quoting, which was the rumor system and not some GM posting something about battle familiars that never materialized.

I also think it's hilarious that he replied to a year old post that was replying to a three year old post.
Re: Rumours: What, it's really confusing! (LONG) 03/06/2014 07:36 AM CST
I do remember them talking about battle familiars. This was discussed as part of what was going to be an overhaul of the "pet" system.

this was spoken of BEFORE 3.0; which was the "bigthing" that had to be completed at the same time. It was spoken of in the same time frame as Necromancers getting actual "Risen" - which has yet to happen, but that was said to be going to happen AFTER all the necromancer guildhalls were out.

Moonmage shadowlings <moon mage pets> were just recently updated <at least in 3.1>...

SO.... to make a long story short, I think the order will go something like this:

1. Necromancers will get all guildhalls
2. Necromancers will get Risen
3. Warmages will get battle familiars.
4.An arisen will run off with a familiar and make little golem dragons that run around chasing people and setting them on fire.
5. Profit
6. The heat-end of the universe

:-)

<<If I can't cast thunderclap, you can't summon the dark lord of the abyss to devour the flesh of the innocent>>