Speaking of Rumors 10/12/2003 10:45 AM CDT
>A bored-looking clerk ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. The weather has been awfully wet of late. Perhaps we're due for another flood."

>The publican ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from Leth Deriel. One of the hunters wandering around mentioned that the coats on the bears and snowbeasts seem particularly thick this year."

& on Aesry last week, they were talking about it looked like Bad weather was going to be hitting the seas.

Maybe weather will soon be playing a factor in our every day lives. Blizzards block paths. The cold causing frost bite (skin damage) & vitality hits. Etc.

Snow causing us to travel slower....

Random flood by water ways.

P

Non sibi sed patriae

Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/12/2003 11:07 AM CDT
Actually there's a fourth Weather-related rumor.

>The publican ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from Steel Claw Clan. There have been less and less taffelberries in Arthe Dale lately. This explains the fluex of the prices in the markets lately for them. The rivers have frozen up near the taffelberry orchards and it seems that they have mages trying to melt it so that the crops can grow."

Can we say Ice Age? Blizzard?

Paerr (time to buy a liner for me kilt)

Non sibi sed patriae

Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 09:19 AM CDT
Would someone be kind enough as to please tell me the syntax for inquiring about rumors. I've tried ask <npc name> about rumor but that doesn't work.

War Hawk Catullus

http://www.legends-end.com/Tourney/LE-DR-FBC.htm
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 09:34 AM CDT
Ask the npc FOR rumor. Remember that some NPCs will only talk to certain races/classes.

~Azimee Ta'Shiza
~Gypsy Songbird
~Tinbird In Training
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 02:32 PM CDT
so say ask gruk for rumor? or ask gruk about rumor? I rathere befuddled S'kra.

War Hawk Catullus
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 03:29 PM CDT
You would ASK <npc> FOR RUMOR.

The reminder is that not all NPCs are part of the rumor system, and even NPCs who are part of the rumor system won't always talk to everyone. Some will only talk to members of certain races/sex/guilds/etc.

~Azimee Ta'Shiza
~Gypsy Songbird
~Tinbird In Training
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 03:44 PM CDT
Thanks, I'm an S'kra Mur barb, mind telling me if you know of any npc's that might want to have a word with me? Thanks in advance

War Hawk Catullus
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 04:34 PM CDT
I honestly don't know offhand - I'm a plat bardess, for one thing, and for another I've been on Ratha for quite some time now and haven't really talked to all that many NPCs for the rumor system.

Most taverns have a tavernkeeper, barkeeper or waitress that you might try talking to. I think there's also a plethora of stableboys and such who may talk as well. Or you might try asking around your guild and see if anyone's had any luck.

I do know that some of the NPCs will talk to guilds besides bard & trader - I just don't know which ones. I also know the messaging is different if they don't want to talk to you rather than just not being part of the rumor system, but I don't remember the specific messaging for either. With luck someone else will be able to point you toward a few NPCs who are willing to talk to skra mur barbs :)

~Azimee Ta'Shiza
~Gypsy Songbird
~Tinbird In Training
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 04:41 PM CDT

So far as I know, the stableboy to the Trader's Guild of Haven will talk to ANYONE.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com

Nin showrskilik dabru dangig kvuthen, "Derg ewn tharfe mate nin verdh suun nin kwin bowr, nin kwin bowr va nin verdh."
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 04:50 PM CDT
>>I'm an S'kra Mur barb, mind telling me if you know of any npc's that might want to have a word with me?<<

The rumor system is for Bards and Traders.

I would also like to add that being in 'Brawl mode' can affect wether you are talked too or not.

______
Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
- Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 05:01 PM CDT
>>The rumor system is for Bards and Traders.

The rumor system is for everyone.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 05:32 PM CDT
some of 'em will only talk to one guild as well. the human barkeeper in the sandspit where I live won't talk to my trader <s'kra> brother, but will talk to my olvi bard for quite a while.

~Weak of arm, lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead, cause you cant do more; lost your coins, on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 06:10 PM CDT
>>We're very happy to announce the release of a new system in all instances of DragonRealms, the Rumors System for Traders and Bards.

>>The Rumors System is in fact a network of bartenders, clerks, waitresses, and market mongers scattered throughout Elanthia that both collect and share rumors that they have heard while going about their everyday lives. These rumors will vary from the silly (such as you might see in a supermarket tabloid) or to the serious (such as fortelling future events). It will be up to you, the Traders and Bards who gather these rumors, to discern which of them are true concerns or mere fabrications, and pass them on to your fellow adventurers in Elanthia.

>>To recap briefly, in a more Out Of Character Format:

>>You will find throughout Elanthia a great deal of Non-Player Characters (NPCs), most notably in inns, taverns, or markets, who are willing to collect and dispense rumors.

>>* To ask an NPC for a rumor, type: ASK <npc name> FOR RUMOR.
>>* To submit a rumor to an NPC, type: WHISPER <npc name> <rumor text>.

>>NOTE: Not every NPC will want to interact with every person. Some will only speak with Gor'Togs, while others only like Halfling Men, and so forth. Others will either only collect rumors, or give them. Rumors submitted to NPCs will not appear to the general public right away, if they do at all.
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 07:12 PM CDT
Are any/all the NPC's that speak to you in the rumor system highlighted in monsterbold?

Genneron

Ask me about my Order
IM: Genneron
Li Tumbra Mir: The Order of the Iron Circle
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FatherJarle/index.html
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 07:32 PM CDT
Apparently so. I've noticed a lot more NPCs in the inns and taverns than I used to see.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/14/2003 07:52 PM CDT
All the ones I've found (not many) have been in Monsterbold.

Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/15/2003 10:05 AM CDT
Just curious if anyone has gotten any rumors from the Barmaid in Rossman's Portman's Tavern?

I tried a few times and she ain't spillin' no beans!

~Ally
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/15/2003 06:48 PM CDT
Speaking of trying to find rumor giving NPC's, does anyone have a list of all of them?

In Therenborough, I know there's a traveller or something like that in the inn there; In Riverhaven there's one in the Noble Inn and in the Saltfisher and one in the trader guild stables (who I didn't know about until I read the boards); In Crossings there's the barmaid in Taelberts (Nice choice by the way), I think there's one in the Half-Pint, not sure. Those are the only ones I know, and they all seem to ignore my human paladin.

Absorb...
and Transform!!!
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 08:16 AM CDT

Now, I haven't looked at the Leth side of the dock, but these are all different inns and taverns that have rumormongers.

Riverhaven:

Pierless Inn - at the bar
Noble Inn - Dining Hall
Saltfisher Inn
Trader's Guild stable

Zoluren:

Taelbert's Inn - bar
Half Pint Inn - main saloon
Tiger Clan's Pig Pannage
Wolf Clan's Arnack's Tavern
Arthe Dale's Arthe Hollow Inn
NTR Caravansary - North Roads Inn - common room

Actually on Therengian soil, but at the top of the NTR - The Oak Grove Tavern.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com

Nin showrskilik dabru dangig kvuthen, "Derg ewn tharfe mate nin verdh suun nin kwin bowr, nin kwin bowr va nin verdh."
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 08:20 AM CDT

I KNEW I missed one.

Crossing:

Gaethrend's Court - Dining Room

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com

Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 08:49 AM CDT
I believe there's about 50 NPCs total in the system so far. I know there's one in Theren and one in Leth, plus some in Haven, Crossing, Shard, Ratha, Aesry and probably Musper'i and possibly some of the other islands.

I'm still confused as to why there's both Rog and a waitress in Kygar's pub on Ratha, though. They tend to tell me the same things :)

~Azimee Ta'Shiza
~Gypsy Songbird
~Tinbird In Training
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 11:02 AM CDT
>I believe there's about 50 NPCs total in the system so far. I know there's one in Theren and one in Leth, plus some in Haven, Crossing, Shard, Ratha, Aesry and probably Musper'i and possibly some of the other islands.

Only one in Theren? Who is it?
Anyone have a great list like that for Therengia?

::smiles hopefully::
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 11:16 AM CDT

Most likely the one in Therengia on the other side of the lake is either in Telgar's Inn, the Baron's Table..or both. Another possibility for Therenborough might be The Villiage Inn on the west side of the Chapel.

But I'm just talking probabilities here, not solid fact.

"Teacher says... every time a bell rings, an alfar gets his wings and a Gnome is sacrificed to a nameless and blasphemous ancient demon."

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 11:17 AM CDT
you missed a few others.

Zoluren:

stable guy in trader stables near stone clan
bartender, sand spit
leth deriel trader outpost
table mongers in bazaar <also in bazaar in riverhaven, aesry and muspar'I>

M'riss :
gor-tog fellow

~Weak of arm, lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead, cause you cant do more; lost your coins, on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 11:21 AM CDT
>>table mongers in bazaar <also in bazaar in riverhaven, aesry and muspar'I><<

Shard has a table monger too.

______
Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
- Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 11:25 AM CDT
<<you missed a few others.

Only one I missed was the Sand Spit. I said my list was only for bars and inns. I've never played a Trader so I wouldn't know where to begin on where their little spots and stables are. I just made sure I put in Riverhaven's stableboy..because he'll talk to ANYONE.

I always forget about the Sand Spit. :)

I did check the bars on the Amusement Pier, nothing in their taverns. And they didn't put one in Stone Clan's Brodger, which is really too bad.

"Teacher says... every time a bell rings, an alfar gets his wings and a Gnome is sacrificed to a nameless and blasphemous ancient demon."

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 03:13 PM CDT
Oops... I said Leth when I meant Lang <ducks> But the one in Theren is a traveller in the inn there, down the steps by the fire. The one in Lang is a barkeep or something in the Lang inn - north or south of the main entrance, I don't remember offhand.

My main point was just that with only 50 NPCs who seem to be spread out somewhat, I wouldn't be real surprised to only find 1 or 2 in a less frequented or more out of the way area, and more in the more centrally located areas.

~Azimee Ta'Shiza
~Gypsy Songbird
~Tinbird In Training
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/16/2003 07:26 PM CDT
>M'riss :
>gor-tog fellow

Ok, question. Has anyone been able to speak to this guy? I'm a tog barb in M'riss and I can't even get a peep out of him. I know it's a bard and trader system too.

Genneron

Ask me about my Order
IM: Genneron
Li Tumbra Mir: The Order of the Iron Circle
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FatherJarle/index.html
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/18/2003 09:36 PM CDT
<<I just made sure I put in Riverhaven's stableboy..because he'll talk to ANYONE.>>

Not true... I asked him for a rumour, and about a rumour, and he wont talk to me. Prydaen

The Alley Cat
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/18/2003 09:59 PM CDT
>>>Not true... I asked him for a rumour, and about a rumour, and he wont talk to me. Prydaen

It helps if you spell Rumor right.

DT
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/18/2003 10:41 PM CDT
The correct spelling of rumor, or rumour, depends entirely upon which continent you live.

~PELIC

"Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here" -Jack Nicholson, 'As good as it gets'
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/18/2003 10:42 PM CDT
When it comes to a game, and the spelling the system will recognize, only one spelling matters.

---Brett
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/19/2003 06:21 PM CDT
>The correct spelling of rumor, or rumour, depends entirely upon which continent you live.

And pretty much every other word ending in or/our.

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

It has a dragonrealms section so I can spam it! Go me!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/20/2003 12:37 PM CDT
Just for kicks, I'm checking on the possibility of making ASK NPC FOR RUMOUR work the same as RUMOR...

Will keep you updated...

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Speaking of Rumors 10/20/2003 12:39 PM CDT
>>ity of making ASK NPC FOR RUMOUR work the same as RUMOR...

This would make you my current hero.
-~- Zelaide -~-

Wild red roses are slowly overgrowing the remains of a greying picket fence. Beyond the fence lies a child's playground, desolate and empty. A gate, ripped from the fence, lies discarded in the grass nearby.