Question 08/21/2003 04:55 PM CDT
When giving that certain chambermaid a rumor or two, does one simply give the meat of the subject or flesh it out.

IE Would you say: "I heard a certain red-haired cleric likes cheesecake."

Or would you say: "Not that it's any of my business, but someone really should tell <insert name> that she needs to watch where she leaves her stockings!"

http://www.livejournal.com/users/jillynaraway/

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.
Re: Question 08/21/2003 05:05 PM CDT
Also when spreading rumors how specific does one have to be? is established rumors automaticly stored?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Re: Question 08/21/2003 05:38 PM CDT
G'day,

In general, what you whisper to the NPC is what will get repeated, assuming the rumor is approved by a GM. Something to remember that will make things much easier for us, meaning GMs, is if you whisper it in a format that will make sense no matter where the rumor gets related. If you keep it in a form that a person might use in relating something they were told (second hand knowledge) rather than that they saw themselves (first hand knowledge), it will be great. If what gets whispered isn't in this sort of format, we can edit a bit to make the messaging less awkward.

As to how much to flesh it out, that is up to you and how creative you feel. Just keep in mind the first point I made above and things should be fine.

Not sure what you mean by how specific a rumor should be. Once rumors are approved and enter the part of the system where they can be heard by players, they have a specific "lifespan". During that time they can spread, but once the reach the end of their lives, they are removed completely from the system. This is mainly a system resource thing so we don't end up with thousands and thousands of rumors floating around.

Regards,

Godrich de'Finchal

"You are like a mouse arguing with an owl. You think the owl is wrong, he thinks you are dinner."

http://webpages.charter.net/plblack/trader.html
Re: Question 08/21/2003 05:50 PM CDT
A certain barkeep in the west end of crossin' wasn't willing to listen to any rumors.

Basgonif, iterenerent rumor-monger and tart-snarflin bard

~Weak of arm,lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead,cause you cant do more; lost your coins,on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: Question 08/21/2003 05:54 PM CDT
Ok so players can start the rumors, but the propagation of said rumors (from npc to npc) once approved is through mechanics and not players?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Re: Question 08/21/2003 06:00 PM CDT
G'day,

>approved is through mechanics and not players?

Yes, at least partially. Once approved, rumors will spread at a certain speed from place to place as determined by the system mechanics. Nothing is stopping players from taking rumors they hear in one place and repeating them in other places though. It will eventually mean there are multiple instances of the same rumor in some places, but there isn't anything wrong with that.

Regards,

Godrich de'Finchal

"You are like a mouse arguing with an owl. You think the owl is wrong, he thinks you are dinner."

http://webpages.charter.net/plblack/trader.html
Rumor Questions 08/21/2003 08:32 PM CDT
Sorry if this is supposed to be self explanatory but it isn't obvious enough to me.

It looks like only Bards and Traders can submit rumors, right? Can anyone ask about a rumor, or just those two guilds?

Also, will all GMs be checking rumors or just a set few? This system sounds great and I don't want it to go by the wayside as the GMs get caught up in other activities.

~ Phangor
Question about rumors being added. 12/09/2004 03:54 PM CST

Greetings,

I've been hiring a very nice trader to spread some rumors for me which lead to a hidden prize I've placed somewhere in Elanthia. The prize was placed in its location some two weeks ago and is still there to this day. However, I have not yet heard one single rumor that I paid this trader to spread. She swears she told the monger the rumor who in turn agreed to remember it and spread it.

So my question is.. wheres the missing rumors?

Thank you,

Riddler
Re: Question about rumors being added. 12/09/2004 07:53 PM CST
Two problems with that.

1) Rumors go through Dartanien (spelled wrong I know), If he's not around for a while you don't get your rumors put into the game (If he even lets them by).

2) Quit paying other people to do it for you. Run to the nearest stableboy and whisper to him. I've put a couple of rumors out there that are still floating around.

Rigek

"Heh I never really liked him anyway...he wasn't right in the head..."
Re: Question about rumors being added. 12/10/2004 10:58 PM CST
>>1) Rumors go through Dartanien (spelled wrong I know), If he's not around for a while you don't get your rumors put into the game (If he even lets them by).

Actually any GM can approve rumors. I recall Godrich and Solomon mentioning when the system was released that they encourage GMs to look at the queue and pass things through when they get a few moments in the game. Dartenian is doing the mini-quest rumors.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy