Some Thoughts for the Horse GM... 08/22/2005 01:55 AM CDT
...when there is one.

1. "The black horse is eighteen hands high with a pure black coat. It has a black mane and tail. The mare has dark brindle markings over the entire body." This is WRONG. Brindle markings on any horse are of a color darker than the horse's main body color. A black horse cannot be brindle.

2. "Dark splotches on both flanks and white legs below the knees" is another mark that should not be on black horses or on dark bays, liver chestnuts, or cherry bays. The dark splotches would not show against the black or dark brown coats.

3. Hocks on forelegs have been mentioned before this. There are no such things. Forelegs have knees. Hind legs have hocks. Not to mention that 'a white mark from coronet to hock (or knee) on the hind leg (or foreleg) is called a 'stocking'. So how about 'a white stocking on the right hind leg' or 'a white stocking on the right foreleg' instead? A mark that covers just the fetlock or any other mark that goes completely around the leg above the hoof but does not reach to the knee or hock is called a 'sock'.

4. Star-shaped marks do not exist on real horses. On a real horse, any spot on the horse's forehead is called a 'star' but they are not star-shaped. They can be funny shaped splotches.

5. Marks around the left or right eye do not exist on horses with a solid body color. The only horses that can have a spot around the eye are paints, piebalds, skewbalds, and pintos (none of which are found in DR).

6. Feathered hooves. This is a possible marking. Can we make it more common? The only one I've heard tell of is the buckskin pony that Dulcinia caught. This makes it possible but I have never actually seen one myself.

7. The main genetic colors for horses are black and brown. Black horses should be far more common in corrals and white horses should be less so. Pure white horses with pink skin (a white horse with black skin is a grey) are not common in real life but I see them constantly in corrals while black ones are much rarer. Especially tall blacks.

8. There are no wild black horses. Why? As the main colors for horses are black and brown, one would think there would be wild ones.

9. Wild geldings have been mentioned. Either give us more stallions in the wild (I've only heard tell of the one buckskin pony stallion that Dulcinia caught), or make all the caught ones mares.

10. No horses below 14 hands are in the wilds. Why not? Statistically there should be at least some.

11. Why are there no wild ponies? There are wild pony herds in a few places around the world in real life so it is certainly possible.

And just as a side note... please make my saddlebags wearable by horses and ponies.

Bard Lydaiva's (and others) player
Re: Some Thoughts for the Horse GM... 08/22/2005 02:06 AM CDT
<This and that marking not possible.

But, Lydaiva! it's MAGIC.

(he said, making fun of people that say that)

But I don't think it's beyond reason that DR merely has different breeds of horsies.

The anatomy and statistical data, though, needs to be fixed.

The only girl I've ever loved
Was born with roses in her eyes
But then they buried her alive
One evening 1945
With just her sister at her side
And only weeks before the guns
All came and rained on everyone
Re: Some Thoughts for the Horse GM... 08/22/2005 09:27 AM CDT
>Pure white horses with pink skin (a white horse with black skin is a grey) are not common in real life

This is because, quite often, WW is lethal. Even a single white gene often makes the animal far more vulnerable, just because of the lack of melanin. i.e. far more likely to die of skin cancer or go blind.

White and dilution genes in horses are tied to quite a range of lethal and detrimental genes, actually. <shrug> Is why a lot of horse people don't like true white horses. Besides, a grey is just as good after a certain age.
Re: Some Thoughts for the Horse GM... 08/22/2005 10:12 AM CDT
>>Why are there no wild ponies?
>>I've only heard tell of the one buckskin pony stallion that Dulcinia caught

So there are wild ponies, or am I misreading this?

~Thilan
Re: Some Thoughts for the Horse GM... 08/22/2005 12:10 PM CDT
Obviously only Dulcinia could say for sure, but I think I remember reading that this pony was originally purchased at an auction, not caught wild.

Technically, any of the 14hh "horses" in DR can be considered ponies. The real-world line between pony & horse is usually at 14 hands, 2 inches.
Re: Some Thoughts for the Horse GM... 08/22/2005 01:27 PM CDT
Obviously only Dulcinia could say for sure, but I think I remember reading that this pony was originally purchased at an auction, not caught wild.

See, there ya go. I don't even know where she got it. But if it was an auction, then yep! No wild ponies. Or stallions but that's a whole other issue. And would love to see 'feathered hooves' as a regular marking instead of some of the stupider ones like a stripe under the eye.

Bard Lydaiva's (and others) player
Re: Some Thoughts for the Horse GM... 09/01/2005 03:16 AM CDT
<<A black horse cannot be brindle.>>

There are different shades of 'black'. Otherwise we wouldn's have descriptors such as 'midnight', 'katamba' 'ebony', 'obsideon', etc.

On a side note. For a really basic understanding of horse color genetics check out this page: http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/~lvmillon/coatcolor/coatclr3.html

If you are a statistical geek there might actually be enough info there to determine a normal distribution of horse coloration.

--Just a "clueless" Squire

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Solomon my soul to keep.
If I should walk before I wake;
I pray that Simutronics a restore will make.