Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 05:25 AM CDT

I still believe that the mount system will one day rise up from the ashes of neglect and become that desired and deserved system that it should be. When this happens, I hope they find this post in the archives.

Notable ideas-

Riders being able to join into a group with a leader, as pedestrians can, increasing functionality and RP potential.

Horses able to recieve damage and when they get hurt too badly they will bolt back to the stable. No horse deaths eliminate alot of headaches.

Rentable wagons that can be hitched to a mount and carry bundles, gems, ores, and friends.

Expanding breeds of horses and types of mounts.

A tack room that will store a rider's gear.

Bonus to combats and perception.

I can only hope and wait.

Re: Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 06:23 AM CDT
>>Expanding breeds of horses and types of mounts.

Spider mounts.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 06:53 AM CDT
I like all of these suggestions. Most of all this one:

>Expanding breeds of horses and types of mounts.

I'm still waiting for the "giant chicken" mount.

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 08:49 AM CDT
>>increasing functionality and RP potential.

I've always thought that horses should just be the newest auto travel feature with outdoorsmanship as the skill check

>>Ride Horse List

With your abilities you can easily ride a horse from your current location to:
Crossing
Wolf Clan
Riverhaven
Leth
Dragon Spine Outpot

>>Ride Horse Leth
With a nudge of your heels you point your horse to Leth and begin your journey
{Some sort of RT}
You horse comes to a stop just outside the stable in the town of Leth.

This doesn't replace the outdoorsmanship to pass over obstacles like under gondola or the segoltha, but just puts in a rapid transit. Let's face it 90%+ of characters use travel scripts, we might as well make an in-game system that travels for us.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 08:56 AM CDT
>With your abilities you can easily ride a horse from your current location to:

Interesting idea.

I can see some issues, not all of them a big deal, but they should probably be discussed.

1) bypassing obstacles (mud, webs, etc)
2) bypassing invasion creatures
3) reducing the usefulness of trails/moongates
4) bypassing climb/swims

I think if they put it on a similar system to caravans and their autolead section it would knock off many of the issues.

I'm just having a hard time imagining how you could keep it useful time wise and not basically get another Ranger Trail system.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 09:44 AM CDT
>>Ranger Trail system.

This is getting re-written, hopefully to something more useful. I'd like to see the Ranger trail system not be so much static locations, but travel between remembered points, but that's a topic for another thread.

>>3) reducing the usefulness of trails/moongates
I don think you could make trails more useless. As for moongates, they are already obsolete for someone with the required skills to swim all the rivers, and climb all the climbs. Also, I think if they make horses a bit harder to catch, killable in combat, and only travel stable to stable area, then moon gates would still have a niche in group travel, travelling to hunting grounds, and travel to more specific places.

Also, I'd make owning a horse way more expensive. Stabling should be based on time you kept your horse there, and taking care of them should be expensive and a bit time consuming as well (or you can pay for it).

>>4) bypassing climb/swims
I would assume that the swims/climbs and riding requirements would be scaled with the outdoorsmanship requirement I mentioned.

Re: Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 12:54 PM CDT
two words:

Battle Ostrich

Rehlyn

A Maelshyvean shadow beast slows long enough to deeply inhale some of the swirling shadows surrounding it. After a moment, it sighs with great releif and blackness oozes from its ears and nostrils.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 01:21 PM CDT
>two words:

>Battle Ostrich

Waaaaark! All I picture are Chocobo's and it makes me laugh a little.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 02:00 PM CDT
>Battle Ostrich

Two more words: I'm. Down. :)

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/14/2013 04:01 PM CDT
>Battle Ostrich

I just want a horse that's tall and sturdy enough that my Kaldar wouldn't break its back.

All these ideas sound awesome though and would make me actually want to get a mount. Just make sure they can go through moongates.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 01:38 AM CDT
wtb chocobo
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 01:57 AM CDT
>> wtb chocobo

If you get a Chocobo, I want a buster sword.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 05:36 AM CDT
If you guys get those things, I get Ultima on Empaths.

Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 05:37 AM CDT
>>If you guys get those things, I get Ultima on Empaths.

Ok.

>>If you get a Chocobo, I want a buster sword.

Shh. We don't get buster swords. We get Omnislash.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 09:44 AM CDT
>>If you get a Chocobo, I want a buster sword.

And WMs can summon Knights of the Round for an attack with a 300 second roundtime?
Re: Beating the dead horse ::NUDGE:: 03/15/2013 12:49 PM CDT
So I guess I'm the Midgar Zolom, the giant oversized serpent in the marshes outside of Midgar that prevents you from leaving this small confined area, huh? Lame. Why couldn't I be the Emerald Weapon?

Let's get back on topic of mounts please. Reliving Final Fantasy VII is awesome, especially the 15 minutes I desperately tried to remember the name of the zolom since he killed me everytime I met him, but we should talk about other video games down in Outside Elanthia - Life in the Real World.

Thanks!

Helje
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Helje@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at DR-Sidatura@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 12:57 PM CDT
>>I can see some issues, not all of them a big deal, but they should probably be discussed.

Eh, all this means is that the destination lists need to be thought out. It would be fun to have it work similar to balloons/the crossing-riverhaven wagons/sea mammoths

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 01:19 PM CDT
>>Eh, all this means is that the destination lists need to be thought out

Yeah, I guess the main problem is that it really isn't necessary with travel scripts. You'd almost have to gimp travelling long distances by foot to make them worthwhile. Something like a fatigue from moving from to room to room at rapid speeds (the point where it changes your movement to RUNS).

And while I think making horses worthwhile woud be neat, people's panties would twist something fierce if all of a sudden running from Theren to Shard didn't take less than 4 minutes.

Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 03:28 PM CDT
>>Yeah, I guess the main problem is that it really isn't necessary with travel scripts.

Even if you made mounts the exact same, timewise, as travel scripting, as long as they weren't buggy or full of annoyances people would love them. People like having that kind of flavor to add to their character.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 03:40 PM CDT
>>Yeah, I guess the main problem is that it really isn't necessary with travel scripts.

>Even if you made mounts the exact same, timewise, as travel scripting, as long as they weren't buggy or full of annoyances people would love them.

Totally agree with this. I really enjoy having my Kirmalia and if it were just a bit more useful I'd have it out more frequently. As it is now, I don't joust and I don't Paladin. On top of that I did the full Ranger thing and taught it everything it could know. So... Where do we go from here?

Also, I do like the "auto-pilot" option. I would use that in a heartbeat.

Re: Beating the dead horse 03/15/2013 06:04 PM CDT
I would actually take my horse out and use him for travel if it wasn't a hassle.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/19/2013 08:56 PM CDT

A lot of things aren't necessary due to scripts, but people might still enjoy/appreciate the RP aspect of it.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/20/2013 10:28 AM CDT
First up there are a couple of things that are running through my head that I want to say but not sure if its actually available, if so, I apologise in advance.

Personally I RP with me horse, having jousted with him a few times I like the idea of having to exercise the horse and clean him down, perhaps a method to allow other people to care for your horse, say you take on a squire of sorts, and maybe instead of a horse based skill being tied to Outdoorsmanship have Horsemanship.

An expansion on the horse group situ; it would make life interesting if a group of mounted people are able to form a battle-line, the leader of the group then able to initiate a charge where the battle-line would "sweep" though a room, or series of rooms (perhaps with a max range) and each creature has the chance of taking damage from the rider or being trampled by the horse itself. Of course on the flip side if the horse is not wearing any barding then expect damage not to mention any reactionary damage from whatever you are charging plus there is always the chance for that and/or being thrown off.

A further expansion on this would be the ability to PLANT your polearm, where you stick the butt in the ground and angle it out as an anti-charge defence.

For visual stimulus see LOTR:RotK battle for Gondor when Rohan turn up and charge in. For a brilliant example of planting a steak/polearm see 13th Warrior; "Luck will often aid a man if his courage holds!" (or something like that)

A side thought based on making a horse more relevant to travelling, Based on Stamina and Strength v. Weight and Encumbrance have maximum number of rooms you can move before you get a slight RT for being a little tired, this is why knights used a horse, because being in full plate is bloody hard work and tiring. During a battle re-enactment parade around a town, we had been walking for about 30 min to an hour we were called to a halt and I watched a guy in full plate collapse with heat exhaustion, anyway a thought.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/20/2013 11:33 PM CDT
I tend to think that all that really needs to happen initially is that fighting from a horse should be more effective than fighting without a horse. Until, of course, your horse is killed or you are de-horsed and your horse escapes back to the stable. All kinds of skill thingers could be involved to get to the point where you can kick butt from a horse, Paladins having an easier time at it of course.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/20/2013 11:38 PM CDT
Maybe each guild could have a speciality while on a horse, Paladins melee and charge attacks, Rangers archery and a chance to flee, etc
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/21/2013 10:20 AM CDT
My bard will be the master of dressage! And able to teach anything while on a horse.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/24/2013 01:42 PM CDT
Horses are:

Not very useful
Very inconvenient to use
Take lots of 'upkeep' via many commands, rt and tools (I.E something that people address via scripts generally).

As I understand, no one wants to touch horses, so I wouldnt hold my breath about them getting fixed anytime soon. Sad since it seems like a great opportunity for the game, as well as rangers/paladins who were supposed to get new systems to work off them ontop of the current ones.
Re: Beating the dead horse 03/24/2013 08:41 PM CDT
Horses are a great idea, but there are literally hundreds of things that still need re-balancing or brought into line with 3.0 standards. I wouldn't hold my breath to see any horse development this year, or maybe even next.
Re: Beating the dead horse 04/25/2013 04:16 PM CDT
>>chocobo

I believe there is a gidii mount

>>stuff and stuff

Yeah, combat engagement while mounted has always been a bit weird. Some of the hurdles that you can't lead them through too.

And my nightmare's too wild for magic or even regular combat(no brawling or melee weapons), I can still throw a weapon though. I don't think the hart's are that limited or any of the other special mounts?

Re: Beating the dead horse 04/25/2013 07:09 PM CDT
Speaking of mount suggestions - I can't heal people (even you on your nightmare) because they are too high up/out of reach. I think that's lame, personally. I can't touch your leg or something? You can't reach down for me to grab my hand? Why does that mechanic exist, it seems odd (like much of mounts currently).