Evasion penalty on horseback 05/22/2007 02:34 PM CDT
It'd be really awesome if the evasion penalty while mounted were reduced or taken away. It's pretty impossible to hunt anywhere near at level while mounted relying only on shield/parry - especially for those of us whose evasion outpaces our other defenses (eg rangers, who are supposed to be somewhat masterly on horseback).

Anyway, thats my random horse request for now. I can always hope!

Foxrhyn
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 05/22/2007 02:58 PM CDT
To be honest, be nice if there was a survival skill called riding, where we could work down the penalty. For the purpose of working down the penalty, paladins could substitute a portion of their highest armor skill. Be nifty, and would be a gateway for a mounted combat and ranger perks;)

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 05/22/2007 03:06 PM CDT
>To be honest, be nice if there was a survival skill called riding,

Why not give animal lore a real use?

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 05/22/2007 03:07 PM CDT
P.S. I liked the rest of the suggestion, more stuff for horses = cool.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 05/22/2007 03:08 PM CDT
>Why not give animal lore a real use?

Ah, a very Dart-like answer. I agree- lame skills should be developed before new skills are created, like the Escaping lovin' as of late.

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Hot hot hot scripts, Antique P5 maps, a macro tutorial, skill & stat training advice, and plenty of Bardly goodness.
Reckus 3 is out! Works for all guilds! 5/21/2007
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 05/22/2007 08:11 PM CDT
interestingly enough, under survival3 my paladin now has the title horseman, this title previously only appeared under ownership.

maybe some love for horse combat is gonna happen.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 05/23/2007 08:28 AM CDT
>interestingly enough, under survival3 my paladin now has the title horseman, this title previously only appeared under ownership.

I've got that title now too, suddenly. I've also got a few more titles under survival3 that I can't find anywhere. Woodland Bandit is one of them, off the top of my head.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 05/23/2007 07:33 PM CDT
There is no penalty in the evasion defense code for mounted combat. So if there is one, I'm not sure where it's coming from. Though, I'll put it on my list to look into.

-Ssra
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 06/23/2007 11:50 AM CDT
>>There is no penalty in the evasion defense code for mounted combat. So if there is one, I'm not sure where it's coming from. Though, I'll put it on my list to look into.

Was this ever looked into? Is there still a penalty for mounted combat? If so was it intentional? If not, I?d love to get a horse if there is no penalty for fighting on one, although I?ve always thought being on a horse could give you advantages in many situations! But I digress! Thanks for the information ahead of time.

-Dek
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 06/24/2007 09:05 AM CDT
>>Is there still a penalty for mounted combat?

Its been a while since I fought while mounted, but from what I remember, there was no penalty to normal melee combat, either attacking or defending. What I do remember is a penalty to CASTING spells while mounted. Even if the horse and rider are trained in magic or "PREP", the spell results are lower if cast while mounted vs cast standing next to the horse.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 06/25/2007 09:49 PM CDT
>>Was this ever looked into? Is there still a penalty for mounted combat? If so was it intentional? If not, I?d love to get a horse if there is no penalty for fighting on one, although I?ve always thought being on a horse could give you advantages in many situations! But I digress! Thanks for the information ahead of time.

I tested this myself (informally) and really couldnt find any difference between fighting unmounted. So I was totally wrong in saying there was some penalty, I could have sworn there was. I was also playing around with some bows and a sword and couldnt find any difference in my killing ability mounted or unmounted. The only thing I notice a difference in is casting ability. It seems much harder to cast spells while mounted, even with a horse trained in magic tolerance.
Re: Evasion penalty on horseback 06/28/2007 10:56 AM CDT
Does this mean that the messaging bugs for mounted combat are fixed now?

Generally, being mounted is just more of a liability since very few game mechanics which make the game more playable or group friendly seem to work.

Really the only people that "benefit" from owning a horse mechanically are Paladins and even then horse combat doesn't seem to be much about being mounted and has tons of issues as well.

I am --- Navak