Jousting 12/03/2003 04:40 PM CST
I am working on my first non-paladin jouster and...what is the circle req to learn it? My empath is 30th, but she isnt' "skilled enough"...help?

Age does not always bring wisdom, sometimes it comes alone.
Re: Jousting 12/03/2003 10:07 PM CST
It's been a while since I had problems teaching jousting but as I remember, it requires a Paladin of 40th Circle to teach Combat and one of 50th to teach Jousting.

The Student (you) must be 35th circle to learn I believe. If that's wrong, I'm sure my fellow Paladins will correct me.

Redarch
Re: Jousting 12/04/2003 12:59 AM CST
Thanks Red, ya ole sweetie! Errr I mean..you tough old bird!

Age does not always bring wisdom, sometimes it comes alone.
Armor for Jousting 01/03/2005 08:50 AM CST
Couldn't find a jousting folder so here goes...

I fell in love with jousting last season but all my gear was borrowed. I've been slowly gathering a few coins and looking to buy my own equipment. As a ranger I need all the help I can get, particularly with the way the divisions are set up (buy circle? thats not wise IMO, it should be by skill, a pallie 1/2 my circle will wipe the floor with me, but that should be another topic). Is jousting a straight skill contest, or will forged(ie less hindering gear) give me an advantage? Is bigger always better in the shield department, or will I be better of using a more maneuverable shield? [Currently mid 60's in shield and get good results with my tanned equipment, big thanks to Lennon for that beauty]

--
Ranger Hanryu (I STILL want a last name)
Re: Armor for Jousting 01/03/2005 11:14 AM CST
Hey there Hanryu,

Glad the shield is still working out for you. Unfortunately, the exact manners in which skills/armor/shields affect jousting are still somewhat obscure. The rule of thumb is to always go with least hinderance on the armor (armor protection does not at the moment seem to affect jousting performance at all). As far as shields go, I would reccomend a shield that covers more area, at the least possible hinderance (::hugs his jousting shield::). If you are in the market for some forged plate let me know. I would be willing to help you out with an inexpensive setup.

Skills are important in jousting. As of right now the strongest determining factor seems to be shield skill, which to me seems rather stupid, but I digress. Other important skills are pikes or halberd, evasion, and even parry. When setting stances it seems that straight 100% shield and the rest on evasion does not work as well as 100% shield and a split between evasion and parry (again stupid in my opinion). Attack stance settings do not seem to affect anything.

This analysis may be somewhat dated. I have not jousted for many months and am relying on a somewhat sketchy memory. If anyone else has other information to offer, please do so...

--Just a "clueless" Squire

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Solomon my soul to keep.
If I should walk before I wake;
I pray that Simutronics a restore will make.
Re: Armor for Jousting 01/04/2005 03:01 AM CST
Good timing this..i just bought a horse (untrained) with the goal to do some jousting (seein this is the only real thing ye can do with a horse at the moment).

I was wondering what do i need for it?

Is HP recommended or a prereq?
do HP ranks matter or is having the gear good enuff?
Should i go fer forged or store bought? (ill timing since i am broke now)
Bareback jousting a good idea or not? (this gonna hurt my vault!)
hmmm i am in the process gettin me and my horse trained up..any trainers around aesry feel free to offer yer help #grins

And after that ofcourse some jousting help and play ofcourse!

Any tips or advice is welcome.

Cleric Miraculix
Re: Armor for Jousting 01/04/2005 07:44 AM CST
>>Is HP recommended or a prereq?
>>do HP ranks matter or is having the gear good enuff?
>>Should i go fer forged or store bought? (ill timing since i am broke now)

Yep you better be wearing plate or you'll get throw from your horse. Hinderance seems to affect your chances, so more skill and less hindering gear both help. By far the biggest skills checked though are Shield then Polearm (Halberd or Pike, whichever is higher). When jousting make sure you grab the right lance, some are pike some are halberds, both types are called lances so that thing can be more confusing :)

>>Bareback jousting a good idea or not? (this gonna hurt my vault!)

As for saddles, bah who needs em!

TAP: a soft lambswool blanket dyed the color of turned earth
LOOK: Haphazardly strewn about the blanket are brightly colored swatches of cloth cut to look like fallen autumn leaves.
READ: Rangers do it without saddles

I always joust bareback.

--
Ranger Hanryu (I STILL want a last name)
Re: Armor for Jousting 01/04/2005 09:42 AM CST
Right now there is no noticable difference between bareback or saddled. In fact I typically joust without any tack except for the bridle as I have lost over 100 plat in tack from getting booted from the game.

--Just a "clueless" Squire

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Solomon my soul to keep.
If I should walk before I wake;
I pray that Simutronics a restore will make.
Re: Jousting in general 02/15/2005 07:22 PM CST
I just bought a horse and was wondering at what circle I could be instructed on jousting? I think I heard 30th circle? Also, considering that you need to be 30th (or so?) to learn 'tricks to jousting better' perhaps it is a good idea to put jousting competitons into circle brackets.

Is there a requirement for how many hands a horse needs to be in order to joust?

Thanks.

Sadeia
Re: Jousting in general 02/16/2005 09:05 AM CST
okay, heres a few tips on jousting.

First off, you have to be wearing HP. otherwise you will be unseated in a joust.

secondly, your horse has to be trained in joust. this is done by a ranger.

thirdly, if you aren't a paladin yourself, you have to be instructed by a 50th circle paladin who has learned Joust. The Paladin is taught circle 30 i believe, by either the stablemaster in the theren estate horseshop, and possibly the one by the Mews <north of crossing > <i'm not sure what other stablemasters can instruct it>.

The height of the horse doesnt matter - I've seen a certain dwarf paladin jousting on his pony.

Paladins get a bonus to jousting, but others may participate as well.

Empaths may joust without getting shock.

Shields are good to know for Jousters.

I'm not sure if the new arm shields have any effect on jousting. I have yet to experiment with them vis-a-vis jousting.

To joust, signal your horse to joust. There are jousting "weapons" provided in various fields. By the Paladin guild in crossing, by the estate area by El bains, on Aesry near the trail that leads to unyns, on Ratha <3rd or 4th tier- not sure which>, and somewhere in Ilithi.

Paladin Adongonif of Therengia, third place winner, Kaith Karm, in Jousting

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Jousting in general 02/16/2005 01:31 PM CST
<<thirdly, if you aren't a paladin yourself, you have to be instructed by a 50th circle paladin who has learned Joust.

Gonif, great info, thanks!

Question, is there a minimum age for the player to be instructed jousting from the paladin?
Re: Jousting in general 02/16/2005 01:44 PM CST
Pretty certain it's 40th circle. I was unable to learn it at 30th.

Riley
Re: Jousting in general 02/16/2005 07:08 PM CST
Thanks for the many tips, everyone. Much appreciated. One more question:

>>First off, you have to be wearing HP. otherwise you will be unseated in a joust.

Do you have to be wearing HP on every part of your person, or can you get away with letting some parts (legs, hands) slide? The intent, of course, to be less hindered.

Sadeia
Re: Jousting in general 02/17/2005 06:35 AM CST
pretty sure it only has to be your body armor. my thief used to joust wearing just half-plate, and a shield.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Jousting in general 02/18/2005 01:38 PM CST
>>pretty sure it only has to be your body armor. my thief used to joust wearing just half-plate, and a shield.>>

Ah, thanks once again for your help, Adongonif.

-Sadeia
Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/01/2006 02:47 PM CDT
Crossposting this here so all the jousters can hopefully see it...

Okay, did some more digging and I found that buggy lance you guys keep complaining about up in Theren. I didn't know there were two racks of lances. We'll get that fixed but I've also been talking with a few other GM's and we've come to an agreement in regards to lances in general for jousting. Keep in mind this will only apply to those lances we provide at the jousting arenas. Now the agreement is, we want to standardize the lances. How will this affect you the players? Well it means you and your oponent will be on even footing when you go to joust. If you both use the provided lances which will both appraise the same (and no they won't be set as amazing weapons, they are practice jousting lances and will be set up appropriately) then you will know that your own skill will be playing more of a determining factor and not if your oponent happened to grab a better weapon this run through. It won't happen over night but I'm trying to track down all of the lance racks and get with the area owners. As I do I'll get them corrected to the new standard. Hopefully this will help make the contests fair for all concerned.

Also to add onto that, what areas do you folks know of that have the jousting lances provided so we can hopefully hit them all and keep things fair all around.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/01/2006 03:15 PM CDT
>>Also to add onto that, what areas do you folks know of that have the jousting lances provided so we can hopefully hit them all and keep things fair all around.

From what I recall there's a place on Aesry near the sea caves, the jousting arena in the Paladin guild in the Crossing, and the Zoluren Royal Mews near the Crossing.

~Thilan
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/01/2006 03:52 PM CDT
I believe the stables in Ratha sell the lances for jousting as well, but not positive on that.

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/01/2006 09:21 PM CDT
Haven't been to the Stables in SCC recently but I think there is a jousting area with a lance rack.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/02/2006 06:54 AM CDT
After staying up half the night building lances for the provinces I oversee, I'm pleased to announce that the racks in the Theren Jousting Arena, Horses's Haven Training Yard in Lang, Ratha Stables, and Among the Dunes in Aesry have all been restocked with the new jousting lances in both pike and halberd. Let's hear some praise for GM Oolan who deciphered the code and worked so hard to bring our jousting fanatics standardized lances that will even out the playing field. The next tournament will be a true competition!!!

GM Alvy
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/02/2006 06:56 AM CDT
Yes the stables in ratha have a lance rack. Also the new keep in rossmans.

O wonderful Oolan, can you chat with Ilithi's owner and see about putting a rack in somewhere? I'll make the request over in the appropriate folder also but since you're already contacting area owners...

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
>If it were easy being a Ranger, we wouldn't be as cool as we are. ;) -Vision
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/02/2006 08:13 AM CDT
>After staying up half the night building lances for the provinces I oversee... Let's hear some praise for GM Oolan ~ GM Alvy

I <3 you both! This is really great stuff!

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
>If it were easy being a Ranger, we wouldn't be as cool as we are. ;) -Vision
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/02/2006 11:05 AM CDT
>>Let's hear some praise for GM Oolan who deciphered the code and worked so hard to bring our jousting fanatics standardized lances that will even out the playing field. The next tournament will be a true competition!!!

Hip hip, Hooray!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/02/2006 01:33 PM CDT
Okay, Rossgallan Keep's jousting field, the crossing Paladin Guild arena and the Royal Mews have also all been updated with the new lances. All now have proper halberd and pike based lances which are in all other ways equal to ensure fair competitions. If we missed any jousting specific lance racks please post the room name to help us track down the location. Yes, I'm sorry but that means a wee bit more effor than "You know, that one over on that island over there. Next to the building." If there are any others we'll straighten them out as we go.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/02/2006 08:25 PM CDT
i'm not sure if theres one on aesry. if so, its in the room where you go north from the walkway <rather than into unyns> toward the stables - it has a jousting area.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Jousting Crosspost from Combat Thread 09/05/2006 12:06 AM CDT
Hehe, good job GMs for the hard work on lances all straightened out. I've not jousted any yet, but figure it is bound to happen sooner or later!

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Jousting, Spells, and Reflex, oh my! 01/19/2008 10:32 PM CST
So I just got done testing something I found very interesting. I ran 4 rounds against Sylvaran, trading shield breaks, with him up on me by 3 breaks to 1. I held a 50 mana into CS (a spell that boosts agility by 1 point/5 mana), he bested me. I cast SOP, he bested me. I cast a capped SOTT and unhorsed him first run, head shottted him second run.

Seems 10 agility, bunches of whatever SOP does didn't matter, but 14 points of reflex really made a huge difference. Not sure if it matters, since most jousts are no-magic, but hey I thought it was neat.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Jousting, Spells, and Reflex, oh my! 01/20/2008 09:14 PM CST
What skills are involved in jousting?

-Sephos
Re: Jousting, Spells, and Reflex, oh my! 01/21/2008 05:18 AM CST
shield and either halberd or pike. and you gotta be wearing plate.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>