Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5
Horse 10/25/2003 09:53 PM CDT
I have a question. If I go, say, up to the monastary to hunt, and I leave my horse outside the fence, it won't go anywhere, will it? I don't have to stable it everytime I hunt or go in the bank or my guild do I? Thanks!
Re: Horse 10/26/2003 06:53 AM CST
If you leave your horse somewhere it will stay put unless you log- Although your horse will need some attention now and then. I've had occasion to horse-sit for a few hunting paladins while working in triage areas.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Horse 10/26/2003 10:25 AM CST
>>I don't have to stable it everytime I hunt or go in the bank or my guild do I? Thanks!

Nope. Which actually brings me to another question that I am kind of confused about. Do you have to be a paladin to have your horse attack? Im a barb and I wanted to bring my horse into combat with me but from what I understand only paladins can do this.

Player of Maizann
"Fighting the challenge and challenge the fighting tonight."
Re: Horse 10/26/2003 10:42 AM CST
You can fight from horseback, but your horse will not attack of its own will, unless you are a Paladin.

Allegoria

Instigator of Liberation for Hara'Jaal

Gotta find this road... it's like, "Bob's Road..."
Re: Horse 10/26/2003 10:54 AM CST
ONly paladin horses trained in war will attack critters,etc.

Even if the horse was previously owned by a paladin, and is sold to a non-paladin, the horse "forgets".

which is rather silly imho.

~Weak of arm,crazy roar;
terrible aim,awful health;
broken fingers,no real stealth;
leave em dead,stabbed some more;
lost your coins,on the floor;
greetings!now you're out the door~
>
Re: Horse 10/26/2003 11:45 AM CST
But we (as barbs) still need to have armor on the horse to fight from its back, right?

"Well folks, you know what that means... now I'll do a dance."
Re: Horse 10/26/2003 12:04 PM CST
Armor is not required for the horse to go into combat. In fact, right now, it has no use at all except to annoy you when carting it from your vault, or for jousting.

---Brett
Re: Horse 10/26/2003 12:20 PM CST
That is strange, but good. Thanks!

"Well folks, you know what that means... now I'll do a dance."
Horse trainer wanted 11/01/2003 07:33 PM CST
I am currently in search of a paladin to teach me mounted combat, as well as a ranger (I think) to teach my steed magic tolerance. Can reach me via IM at quinner281, or email at quinner281@hotmail.com. Am currently in Riverhaven, but williing to travel anywhere save the islands; and will appropriately compensate any for their skill and time. Thanks.

Ristyl
Distrubing random trend in Horse Behavior 11/02/2003 11:30 AM CST

For the first 21 months of the existance of horses in DR, their behaviors were fairly straightforward and logical.

If they got upset, due to fighting too long, or fighting creatures that are too high for them, they started to display negative behaviors. Snorting, pawing at the ground, etc.. Or they might display nervious behaviors. Whickering nervously or ears swiveling as if looking for a sound.

For the last 2-3 months (and I waited this long to be sure of this development), horses now seem to display any behavior on a random sort of basis. Former negative behaviors or nervious behaviors will now be displayed for no apparent reason. The only behavior that remains an indication of an upset state is trembling.

This seemingly random element effects new horses as well as my 1st stage bonded, 2 real time years trained warhorse. I have only observed paladin's horses though, and can not speak of horses owned by those in other guilds.

This randomness of behaviors is based on my observations of having worked with my horse on an average of 3 times per week for 2 years now. This average is a conservative estimate, as it is likely I have worked with the horse alot longer.

Why suddenly such a random element is involved with horse's behavior is beyond my ability to comprehend. This will only make a complicated situation - training a horse - into an almost impossible one.

GM Jeremael if you could look into this situation and comment on it, it would be most deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Player of Candidus

Raellia lowers her head briefly before unleashing a roar hinting at a fatal following.
You are frozen with fear!
Tigo, Rufhelous and Grasimnio appear frozen with fear.

Rufhelous says, "That's not good."
Horseback fighting 11/27/2003 08:56 AM CST
A granite gargoyle grumbles and stomps about, looking for something.
* With strength, a granite gargoyle pounds at you. You evade.
[You're nimbly balanced and in good position.]
R>jab

< You jab your ivory-hilted sabre at a granite gargoyle, missing it.
[You're nimbly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
R>
A granite gargoyle sits absolutely still.
* With strength, a granite gargoyle pounds at you. You dodge.
[You're nimbly balanced and in dominating position.]
R>thrus
< Firmly seated and confident on your rose grey horse, you thrust your ivory-hilted sabre wildly at a granite gargoyle's body,
hitting it with a grazing strike.
[You're incredibly balanced and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
R>
* With strength, a granite gargoyle pounds at you. You evade, with a practiced hand.
[You're nimbly balanced and in better position.]

Umm.. I usually crush these in like 2 hits. Why Can't I even touch them on horseback?
Also I can't cast HE spell on horseback.

You gesture at a pale grey death spirit.
Your spell backfires.
Roundtime: 1 second.

Reverent Amala

p.s. My horse is fully trained.

Re: Horseback fighting 11/27/2003 11:06 AM CST
<< Umm.. I usually crush these in like 2 hits. Why Can't I even touch them on horseback?
Also I can't cast HE spell on horseback. >>

Hmm, I havnt noticed my weapons being less effective on horseback (maybe because I am a paladin? dunno if that matters) but yes, casting is basicly impossible, I can prep at only about half what I can normally cast at while riding.
Re: Horseback fighting 11/27/2003 02:03 PM CST
Have you been trained in targetted, Amala? I'm assuming you've already had the prep lessons from the stablemaster.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Horseback fighting 11/27/2003 06:55 PM CST
yea was trained in TM. Gave up and .. OMG!! forgot to stable my horse!!

Re: Horseback fighting 11/27/2003 10:35 PM CST
Just a note.. all casting from horseback, even after being properly trained so the horse doesn't spook while ya prep.. is less effective and takes more mana than casting the same spell while dismounted.

Why this is.. I have no idea. I just know that is the current effect upon magic cast while mounted.

Redarch
Re: Horseback fighting 11/29/2003 06:57 PM CST
You said your horse is fully trained, just curious but were you trained in combat as well? Doubt its the reason, but maybe? If you weren't I believe any paladin past 40th can teach it.
-Korsobar
Re: Horseback fighting 11/30/2003 04:35 PM CST
I too notice a decrease in my abilities when I'm fighting on horseback. It's like I'm automatically in brawling mode, and I'm fighting like I'm fighting with the brawling penalties. That's why I think we can't brawl while on horseback, too. That and the kneeling thing.

Absorb...
and Transform!!!
GM Responsible for Horses 12/13/2003 07:41 AM CST

To whom it may concern:

I am just wondering who is working on Horses now.

GM Raenek posted some back in Augest, but then I heard from folks in Orders that he was working there. Then a friend in an Orders said he was no longer working on Orders, so I wonder if he is even on staff now.

In any case, he was a regular board poster, and him not having posted here in 4 months, leads me to believe he is not working on horses.

With SGD Jeremael working on Substances, likely he does not have the time either to work on horses. Since Substances is a huge job.

So who is working on horses please?

Thank you,

Candidus
Horse care script 12/23/2003 11:10 AM CST
For any one that needs it... commands at the start are remove load and clean

(and that I tend to format my computer from time to time so I know its here)

edit as you need to:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

#11horse.Wiz

top:
echo ********************remove/load/clean*******************
match a remove
match b load
match c clean
matchwait

a:
pause 3
put pat horse
pause 1
put get crin from horse
pause 1
put put crin in my pack
pause 2
put get chan from horse
put put chan in my pack
pause 2
put get flan from horse
put put flan in my pack
pause 2
put get crup from horse
put put crup in my pack
pause 2
put get pey from horse
put put pey in my pack
pause 3
put get rib from horse
put put rib in my pack
pause 2
put get sad from horse
pause 2
put put sad in my pack
pause 2
put get pad from horse
put put pad in my pack
pause 2
put get blank from horse
put put blank in my pack
goto end

b:
pause 3
put get crin
put put crin on horse
pause 2
put get chan
put put chan on horse
pause 2
put get flan
put put flan on horse
pause 2
put get crup
put put crup on horse
pause 2
put get pey
put put pey on horse
pause 2
put get rib
put put rib on horse
pause 2
put get blank
put put blank on horse
pause 2
put get pad
put put pad on horse
pause 2
put get sad
put put sad on horse
goto end

c:
pause 2
put get curr comb
pause 2
put clean horse
pause 10
put put my comb in my pack
pause 2
put get stiff brush
pause 2
put brush horse
pause 10
put brush horse
pause 2
put turn my brush
pause 2
put brush horse
pause 10
put brush horse
pause 2
put put brush in my pack
pause 2
put clean horse
pause 10
put clean horse
pause 2
put get brush
pause 2
put brush horse
pause 10
put brush horse
pause 2
put turn my brush
put put brush in my pack
pause 2
put get other brush
put brush horse
pause 10
put brush horse
pause 2
put put brush in my pack
pause 2
put get pick
pause 2
put clean horse
pause 10
put clean horse
pause 10
put clean horse
pause 10
put clean horse
pause 10
put put pick in my pack
goto end

end:
pause 2
put study horse
Re: Horse care script 12/23/2003 05:42 PM CST
One of the first things I created when I bought my horse last year was a cleaning script. It is sloppy, like just about every script I make, I make all my own anyways, if it works I like it (no big glitches, I can live with it), who cares. During the course of my character's life, all of my scripts get stuff thrown in, taken out, and 'gotos' eventually are just nonsensical to their original intent (goto Satchel but I don't have a satchel anymore, but the put says put it in a backpack, stuff like that). I rarely use Echos, cause, well, it seems obvious what I am doing, if I asked it to do that.

I have a fascination with starting every script with a Top:. I don't know why. I picked that habit up when I first started making scripts in my early DR years. I tried breaking that routine by putting real headers at the beginning, but I just love the way it has a touch of nostalgia to a time when every truth wasn't known and learning was as much the adventure as gaining circles.

I like my scripts personal and close, like a warm blanket.

put open my cocoon
Goto Top

Top:
put clean horse
Match Finish It has only been a short while since you did that.
Match Tack You need to take off some of the horse's tack before doing that.
Match Brush You want to use a brush to finish grooming the horse.
Match Clean2 Roundtime:
MatchWait

Clean2:
put clean horse
Match Brush You want to use a brush to finish grooming the horse.
Match Brush Roundtime:
MatchWait

Brush:
put get soft brush from my cocoon
put brush horse
Match Brush3 Try using another type of brush to continue this grooming task.
Match Brush2 Roundtime:
MatchWait

Brush2:
put brush horse
Match Brush3 Try using another type of brush to continue this grooming task.
Match Brush3 Roundtime:
MatchWait

Brush3:
put put my brush in my cocoon
put get mane brush from my cocoon
pause 1
put brush horse
Match Comb You run your mane and tail brush along the rose grey horse's flank.
Match Comb Roundtime:
MatchWait

Comb:
put get comb from my cocoon
pause 1
put clean horse
Match Brush4 You stop, realizing that you a
Match Brush4 Roundtime:
MatchWait

Brush4:
put put my comb in my cocoon
put get soft brush from my cocoon
pause 1
put turn my brush
put brush horse
Match Brush5 Roundtime:
MatchWait

Brush5:
put turn my brush
put brush horse
Match Brush6 Roundtime:
MatchWait

Brush6:
put brush horse
Match Pick Roundtime:
MatchWait

Pick:
put get pick from my cocoon
pause 1
put clean horse
waitfor Roundtime:
put clean horse
waitfor Roundtime:
put clean horse
waitfor Roundtime:
put clean horse
waitfor Roundtime:
Goto Finish

Finish:
put put my pick in my cocoon
put get blanket from my backpack

pause 1
put put my blanket on horse
put get saddle from my backpack
pause 1
put put my saddle on horse
Goto Close

Tack:
put pat horse
put open my backpack
pause 1
put get saddle from horse
put put saddle in my backpack
pause 1
put get blanket from horse
put put blanket in my backpack
pause 1
goto Top

Close:
put close my cocoon
put close my backpack
exit

Gidske
Horse and Magic 01/14/2004 06:16 PM CST
Just got my fully trained horse and I have been trained in Basic, Bareback, and Prepare.

I am hunting in a shimmering holy mana room and have noticed that my mana is regenerating very slowly.
I have no noticable nerve damage and have not noticed a backfire today. I am not mounted on the horse and I am not leading the horse either.

Any ideas?

Oh BTW, My horse seems to love hunting silver leucros here in Ratha.. but is not too aggresive against sprites. Kinda different from what I was expecting is all.

Monacus
Sword hand raised with the greatest reluctance but truest blade, may the 13 have mercy on the noble Paladin!
Horse 4 Sale 01/19/2004 12:15 AM CST
Anyplace to find classifieds of people buying and selling horses? I have one I am interested in selling. Please contact via email or AIM.
kermitatwork@hotmail.com
AIM: Mac05181975

Sharantyra
Horse GM? 05/02/2004 11:29 AM CDT
Greetings,

Would like to know which GM is handling horses. Would also like to know what sort of things we horse owners can expect in DR2. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Tabia
Horse Help 05/06/2004 07:47 AM CDT
I was recently given a horse by a friend of mine to sell for him. Can someone help me figure out A) what skills the horse knows and B) How much the horse with those skills are worth?

Thanks!!!

Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I'll show you a man who can't get his pants off.
Re: Horse Help 05/06/2004 07:55 AM CDT
One way to check, is to attempt to do the training things. Signal it to kneel, go into combat, try casting magic, etc.

Another (and possibly easier way for most of them) is to have a ranger attempt to train it in all the skills.

I'd be happy to check if you'd like, drop an IM at SpiffDR. Heading to work in a few, but I'll also be on tonight if you'd like.

Jalika
Horse Selling 07/13/2004 02:23 PM CDT
Hi all,

I bought a horse before the war and have not used it. My question is, since I first moved it to the stable, I realize I don't need a horse so i want to sell it. It's it possible to sell a horse? And if so, how is it done? (syntax ect.).

Any information regarding this would be appreciated. I have a bunch of horse gear I need to get rid of as well and would like to sell the whole shabang.

Thanks.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: Horse Selling 07/13/2004 02:27 PM CDT
You can sell a horse to another player, but it has to be done through a trader with the ability (not sure what the circle req is). They would know better about the syntax, but you put the horse up for offer, the trader an buy it, then they put it up for auction and can sell it to another. There are several places this can be done, The Royal Mews (crossing) and the theren keep (duh) come to mind.

Jalika
Re: Horse Selling 07/13/2004 03:57 PM CDT
Circle req for a trader to sell horses is 25th. I have a page about horses at www.mytwokronars.com, under "lectures" you can use as a reference on the process if you like.

Brynnhilde
__

Our pleasures are born but to die
Linked to our hearts but to sever
And like stars shooting down a dark sky
Shine loveliest when fading forever.

*From an American 17th century needlework sampler*
Re: Horse Selling 07/13/2004 04:04 PM CDT
Thanks much all. If there's any traders out there that's willin' to help me sell an 18 hand Blue Roan horse (with equipment), please contact me at Woodcub@aol.com (IM Woodcub).

Thanks

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Horse stabling and tack 10/12/2004 01:10 PM CDT
Suppose you leave your horse out with it's tack (saddle, et al) still on, and you're gone for years, and then come back and go to a stable to get your horse...

What happens to the tack?

Cara
Re: Horse stabling and tack 10/12/2004 02:18 PM CDT
It poofs.

~Dulcinia

>count milk
There's seven bites left of the fresh milk.
Re: Horse stabling and tack 10/12/2004 03:15 PM CDT
>It poofs.

Well, a pox on poofing.

Thanks.
Re: Horse stabling and tack 10/12/2004 07:46 PM CDT
Well, a pox on poofing.

Thanks. <--

Yeah! A pox I tell you! :>

Jim

Horses and magic 10/14/2004 08:40 PM CDT
After reading through several pages of this folder and not finding the answer to my question, I just decided to go ahead and ask it.

If you and your horse are trained in all the requisite areas, are there any penalties to casting from horseback? I know only paladins can do combat manuevers with horses, but my character usually only uses magic in combat anyway, so that doesn't matter for me. I just want to make sure I'll be able to sit on it and still cast efficiently.
Re: Horses and magic 10/15/2004 02:17 AM CDT
>>I just want to make sure I'll be able to sit on it and still cast efficiently.

So far as I am aware, and in my experience, you will not. There is a generous penalty to all magic, beneficial or not, used on horseback.

-
Toulom Aeslinroth &co.

"Come with me in the twilight of a summer night for a while
Tell me of a story never ever told in the past"
Re: Horses and magic 10/15/2004 02:23 AM CDT
I've had several people tell me the same thing in IMs since I posted. So my question now is why? Why were horses desinged to be a combat penalty to anyone but paladins? I understand why every guild is not able to do all the combat manuevers, but what is it about sitting on a horse as opposed to a chair or something that makes casting harder?
Re: Horses and magic 10/15/2004 08:33 AM CDT
actually i think the penalty is that if you are on them you need to combat their MR

__
"Faireft Therengia Rul'd by a
fornicating Haggis-eating Slubberdegullion--"

Vidumavi exclaims, "Wait!"
Vidumavi points at you.
Vidumavi exclaims, "Your that Blasword guy!"
>nod vid
You nod to Vidumavi.
Vidumavi exclaims, "You are the bomb!"
Re: Horses and magic 10/15/2004 11:09 AM CDT
I could see MR being a factor if you were casting spells AT the horse, or area effect spells. Being in a group with a barbarian doesn't hinder me from casting spells at anyone else, though. Heck, I can be grappled with the biggest barb in the lands and still be able to self-cast and cast on others just fine, and I have to imagine a high-circle barb would have more MR than your average horse.
Re: Horses and magic 10/15/2004 12:59 PM CDT
I recall it being described as an actual magic dampening effect. MR only works in certain circumstances. My WM should be able to cast a targeted spell from horseback with no penalty if it was just about MR.

It's one of those design decisions that baffles me. If it was done to make paladins feel better about their horses (which I'm not convinced about), then it could have been handled by giving paladins more neat stuff.

I have a feeling it was done with some idea of making horses somewhat rare, in the way that Fir Familiars were made too annoying to use so that they would be rare.

Never understood that either.

---Brett
Re: Horses and magic 10/15/2004 02:26 PM CDT
>>It's one of those design decisions that baffles me.

If it was a design decision, I agree that it makes no sense. I'm wondering though if it was put into place because of some sort of technical limitation or something. That's the only reason I could see justifying it. If that's the case, maybe it's something they can fix now that we're in DR2?
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5