Prev_page Previous 1
Goats 10/21/2003 01:54 PM CDT
For those of you out there that have goats (Gnomes or non-Gnomes) I've got a question or two since I've recently aquired one. Thanks Tanimook!

1) Are pet, mount and dismount the only verbs they respond to?

2) as far as commands go only ones I've found are command goat to follow and browse. That all there are?

I'll wait to post suggestions in the other folder until there's been a few answers here.

-~- Zelaide -~-

Wild red roses are slowly overgrowing the remains of a greying picket fence. Beyond the fence lies a child's playground, desolate and empty. A gate, ripped from the fence, lies discarded in the grass nearby.
Goats 01/05/2004 10:46 AM CST
It's bee about 5 months since I took Ember out of her pen from my manor in Temple Hill and I can't remember how to make her follow me!

Also, she's only 4 hands high. As a human, I should be able to carry her around with me. Or at least she should have more verbs.

Horses have tons of verbs relating to feeding and care. I think my goat should have some too.

Myth's Player
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 11:15 AM CST
Could always carve it up and serve us all goat stew.
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 11:36 AM CST
A little bit of genuine help would have been prefered.

Myth's Player
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 11:37 AM CST
<<Also, she's only 4 hands high. As a human, I should be able to carry her around with me. Or at least she should have more verbs.

A bit off topic, but gnomes aren't much bigger if that big. They also should be carryable. And have verbs too.

Peperic Timarson, a Ranger, all around nice guy and occasional board bully.
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 11:44 AM CST
Gnomes are more sentient then a goat you know. If I can pick up a baby wolf, a full grown raccoon, and I SHOULD be able to hold into familiars, I don't see why you can't pick a goat up.

Myth's Player
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 11:46 AM CST
Thanks for the help. It's COMMAND. I appreciate the help from the people of the Crossing (never thought I'd say that). I know better then to ask if anyone found any other commands for goats to have.

Myth's Player
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 11:56 AM CST
<< I don't see why you can't pick a goat up.

Original design was for mounts for gnomes. No way a gnome is picking up a goat. Baby wolves and full grown raccoons can be less than 10 lbs. Watch someone forget and tell a young wolf to jump.

Peperic Timarson, a Ranger, all around nice guy and occasional board bully.
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 12:13 PM CST
Geesh Myth, mellow out a bit? You're more crotchety sometimes than an old goat. <<<stays on topic, see?

~Dulcinia

We all know that Crap is King
Give us dirty laundry!
--Don Henley

... now most everyone uses dryers so the expression is outdated and meaningless.
--Sylvado
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 03:05 PM CST
Sometimes! I'm always crotchety! Dulci, give me a tiny bit of credit! And I can carry around my 85 pound labrador for some distance.

And as for carrying around gnomes...heck, I think that would be cool! I'd love to pick up a fallen lass from the field and carry her back to the empaths rather then dragging her around.

Myth's Player
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 03:09 PM CST
Oh, the point of the gnome thing is just that in the current ADD campaign I play, a gnome lass uses a half-orc (also a PC) as a mount. He clobbers things while she sits high and dry on his shoulders and casts magic.

Myth's Player
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 03:27 PM CST
I hope he doesn't use an overhead chop.
Re: Goats 01/05/2004 09:56 PM CST
>>Myth's original post.

Command goat to follow
command goat to trot
command goat to canter/gallop (I ferget which)
Command goat to browse

And yes Goats should have more verbs.

- Zelaide -

The only way to survive the impending doom: kill every last Zolurenite. -- GM Veyl, tongue firmly in cheek.
Re: Goats 01/08/2004 03:29 PM CST
Can we keep the dogs out of this discussion? Please?

<shudder>

~Dulcinia

We all know that Crap is King
Give us dirty laundry!
--Don Henley

... now most everyone uses dryers so the expression is outdated and meaningless.
--Sylvado
Goats and Magic 01/17/2004 11:04 AM CST
2 things real quick like.

1) Why can't we cast magic when riding our goats?
2) Is this somethin' that we're gonna be able to do one of these days?

- Zelaide -

The only way to survive the impending doom: kill every last Zolurenite. -- GM Veyl, tongue firmly in cheek.
Goats 10/09/2004 09:43 PM CDT
I know someone somewhere in GM land reads this, or at least a board monitor who sends a report to a GM so I have a few things I'd like to bring up on goats.

Would it be possible to mayhap give us a few verbs other than Pet and Nudge, and the other 2 or 3 generic verbs that work. I'm not sure how much interaction there is with horses, but I'm pretty sure there's more than with goats. A little more would make things a bit more fun.

Goats also react oddly to numerous rooms around the realms. First off they can't generally be ridden into a room that's warded against familiars. They can however be dismissed (command goat to browse) and then be called when you move into the familiar warded room. There's rooms you can't lead or ride into, there's rooms where you can lead and not ride, and rooms where you can ride and not lead. Other than being warded against familiars there's nothing I can detect or see that would or should prevent a goat from interacting well with these rooms.

That's really all there is, there's not much to goats and there doesn't need to be much to them, but being able to interact with them more would be nice.

Also, could we please cast magic while riding.

Goats seem to me to be a combination of the familiar system, the caravan system, with a brief bit of the horse system thrown in. Yes, no, maybe? If Yes, is it mechanically possible for a War Mage familiar alterer to alter goats?

I am thankful for what goats have and can do, enchancements would be nice though.

- Zelaide -

>clean goat
I think that's a personal thing.
Re: Goats 10/09/2004 09:48 PM CDT
> I know someone somewhere in GM land reads this, or at least a board monitor who sends a report to a GM so I have a few things I'd like to bring up on goats.

I'll see what I can find out about goats.

- GM Dartenian
Platinum Events Team
Gnome & Kaldar Champion

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Re: Goats 10/09/2004 10:00 PM CDT
I knew there was a reason I liked ya Gnome Guy!

- Zelaide -
A shadow appears briefly beneath the water, gurgles, then fades away.
Goats 11/20/2004 01:35 AM CST

Is there any chance goats are gonna be fixed one of these days? Or that maybe the GM involved with goats/horses will one day respnod to the numerous questions/complaints or inquiries that have been posted in the not to distant past?

Zelaide

>>feint
You lose control of your goat as you try to attack a wild boar. It rears and bucks throwing you to the ground.
You are stunned.
Re: Goats 11/20/2004 03:48 PM CST
Patience Zelaide, you got the only GM responses on this board since forever, on your topic and just over a month ago. Let Dartenian do his thing, and keep in mind he is a plat and gnome GM, not the horse person. He even appeared to be personally interested, please don't scare him away. And Armifer responded about the horrors of sheep - we must cultivate these gentlemen! Dartenian, Armifer, brandy? Please, make yourselves at home, we've laid out a lovely buffet...

Zenayda
Re: Goats 11/20/2004 11:30 PM CST
Yer right, and I apologize if I sounded Harsh. Goats and the Gnome village are really the only two things I have any interest in these days so I get rather.... erm I dunno... agressive I guess you could say.

>>feint
You lose control of your goat as you try to attack a wild boar. It rears and bucks throwing you to the ground.
You are stunned.
Goats and stuff to do with goats. 04/11/2005 11:47 AM CDT
More than anything I'd like...

1)to be able to cast magic while mounted on my goat.
2)for other people to be able to interact with my goat. I can pet other folks horses, why can't they pet my goat.

Some of the other goat owners might want to be able to take their goats into combat I'm not sure. I can use my LT while mounted so I'm good with that myself.

Also, there seems to be a quite a few rooms throughout Elanthia that you can't ride your goat through, but you can lead your goat through and some that the goat just won't budge through for any reason. As far as I can tell on alot of these rooms there's really no reason for it. At one time I did a bit of checking and most of the rooms I was having problems with were rooms set for no Familiars. Should these rooms be bugged or should I just assume it's intentional?

I wasn't gonna ramble this much when I started, it was just gonna be about goats and magic, I swear!

The Turtle Moves
Goats 10/02/2005 11:46 PM CDT
The auction was years ago, and I haven't seen another, heard the gmnpc has come around and sold/whatever a few, but I'm not a gnome so he/she wouldn't find me anyway. And I want a goat.

When they coming back?

There will be options to pick from. There will rarely be a case where the NPC says, "Here is your sword, go have fun."
-Ssra
Re: Goats 10/03/2005 12:10 AM CDT
El Guru de Gnome said recently that Goats were meant to to be few and far between

Zel
Re: Goats 10/03/2005 03:16 PM CDT
In that case, I want a summonable pack mule. No desire to ride, would just like a shadow servant storage function.

There will be options to pick from. There will rarely be a case where the NPC says, "Here is your sword, go have fun."
-Ssra
Re: Goats 10/03/2005 09:06 PM CDT
I wish goats could be unbonded. I'd sell mine. :(

"Come fairies, take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance
Upon the mountains like a flame." -- W.B. Yeats
Re: Goats 10/04/2005 08:18 PM CDT
<<El Guru de Gnome said recently that Goats were meant to to be few and far between>>

What exsactly makes a goat a rare and mystic beast is beyond me however.
Re: Goats 10/04/2005 09:33 PM CDT
>>What exsactly makes a goat a rare and mystic beast is beyond me however.

How many goats have you been able to ride?

~Thilan
Re: Goats 10/05/2005 06:59 AM CDT
>>How many goats have you been able to ride?

If I were a gnome, I could say many. Only gnomes can ride them.

"Come fairies, take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance
Upon the mountains like a flame." -- W.B. Yeats
Re: Goats 11/21/2005 11:02 AM CST
Speaking of goats. And I know this thread is old. But when will you guys be doing more with goats? Waaaaaaaaaay back when, it was said there would be more interaction done for them. I would love to do more than just ride the goat and pet it. How about at least make them app'able for the time being? Than I don't have to drag my pony out all the time to ride around and app. Goats are pretty much known to eat anything. How about making them a garbage gut, to clean out rooms? With what was paid for the little tikes, I think it would be nice to have them do more than stand around and look cute.
Re: Goats 11/21/2005 12:59 PM CST
>Do more with goats

I'm guessing that with the absolute lack of any development for mounts in general, nothing will be happening. I'm 90% sure there's not even a GM assigned to mounts anymore.

--
Ranger Hanryu _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, Sword of House Calibanor
>We are Rangers, all your releases are belong to us. ~ Sylvado
Goats 04/12/2010 01:35 PM CDT
Hello, I was just wondering if there was a reason that goats are unable to perform many of the same basic actions as horses? It seems that I'm unable to prepare magic while mounted, unable to attack in combat, even after being instructed by a Paladin, and Rangers are unable to instruct the goat in any new skills.

I had assumed that goats would operate under the same limits and restrictions as horses, being that they appear to operate under the same mount system, but the additional limitations on the goats are a bit frustrating, to say the least. As a new goat owner, I'm curious, is this the way the goat system was designed to function, and if so, are there any plans for an update?

Thanks,
Player of Tasel
Re: Goats 04/12/2010 04:43 PM CDT
i knew about ponies but where did you get goats as mounts?

RIP Tachid. Thank you for all the laughs.
(17 Akr., 394 ~ 5 Uth., 397)
Re: Goats 04/12/2010 05:00 PM CDT
>i knew about ponies but where did you get goats as mounts?

They're one of several types of special mounts. They're summoned via an item and can be dismissed at will.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Goats 04/12/2010 05:12 PM CDT
The special summonable mounts are a completely different system from the horse system. Considering the bugginess of the horse system, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Goats 04/13/2010 06:35 AM CDT
I believe only gnomes can actually ride the goats though correct?

-Dihm
Re: Goats 04/13/2010 05:20 PM CDT
>I believe only gnomes can actually ride the goats though correct?

Correct.

And yes, I had expected the goat to have the same bugginess of the horse system, but so far they seem to be just as buggy (can't ride into certain rooms for no apparent reason), and are crippled even further by the lack of ability to use any magic or attack while mounted.

I received mine through a trade, but if I'm not mistaken most of the goats were originally acquired through an auction? Is anyone able to confirm/deny this?
Re: Goats 04/13/2010 05:30 PM CDT
It seems to me you should treat the goats in similar fashion as you would with magic carpets and brooms; mounts that aren't on the horse system thus untrainable and not usable in combat?

RIP Tachid. Thank you for all the laughs.
(17 Akr., 394 ~ 5 Uth., 397)
Re: Goats 04/13/2010 05:36 PM CDT
I suppose that's probably how it's coded. I guess I just assumed that since a goat was a living creature, it would allow the same types of options while mounted as a horse would, unlike brooms and carpets which are both inanimate objects.
Re: Goats 02/06/2011 06:33 AM CST
Where would I go to get a goat? Is this a fest thing, a premie thing?
Prev_page Previous 1