Are horses supposed to be targetable / killable now? 11/23/2015 07:10 PM CST

The title asks it all...

I am the proud owner of a golden war pony as a paladin and had some fun taking it to blood wolves and silver-backed bears, where I hunt.

It started out fun, with pony stomping and kicking away, until we spent more time with bears.

On the first hunt, a bear targeted the pony but we killed it before it did more than a scuff or two. Took it back to town, stabled, and tried again the following day.

Since then... it's just about impossible. It doesn't happen often; in fact, I'd say it happens less than 5% of the time, but when a bear targets the pony, it's nearly impossible to guess which one has it targeted. The first time it happened I nearly crapped and cried, as getting a pony trained for war, combat, etc took hours... and hours provided pro-bono by a ranger. I was relieved to figure out I could recall the mount from the stable for 1 gold, sans tack, and try again... and since then, I've tried again and the pony's died twice more.

Is this expected now? I thought horses (and ponies) were immune to damage, even with paladins. If it was tougher, or armor actually did something, or I could ward it with Aspirant's aegis, I'd use it, but my only tools are stun foe, shield slam for the stun, and pray I guessed correctly if there are three bears in the room.

If I guess wrong, the pony is two or three shot, and once in combat, I can't lead out.

Is this an intended change? something buggy with the creature I'm fighting?

If it matters, I'm not fighting mounted, but alongside. I haven't found anyone to teach me combat yet.

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Are horses supposed to be targetable / killable now? 11/24/2015 08:49 AM CST

Does this not work? If it's not, use BUG and detail the issues you're having.

For those Paladins that own a warhorse, you have a new SIGNAL to communicate with the animal when it is in combat on its own. SIGNAL HORSE RETREAT will allow you to command the horse to disengage when it would rather fight on for days.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Are horses supposed to be targetable / killable now? 06/28/2016 06:00 PM CDT

As I stop back in after a long sabbatical of life...

Can you clarify what you mean with "Does this not work?" Do you mean "does this not work for you?" "...for your playstyle?" or is a word missing?

My general question was: are horses supposed to be targetable/killable now? My reading before (and I was.. and still am, new to DR), was the horses were not.

If they aren't supposed to be targetable and killable, then yes, I could bug it (if bug is still there).
If they are... well, the lore I read said they weren't.

Mithgrek
Re: Are horses supposed to be targetable / killable now? 06/28/2016 07:56 PM CDT
Player owned horses should not be targeted/killed.

If it is, submit a bug.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.