Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/27/2008 06:05 PM CDT
What is the chance that spells that are used to attack and disable actually contest defensive lunar spells like Shear and SoD?

Pelag ai Aldam Stolas

What are you a slave to? The things you do not control, control you.
-- this ad brought to you by the Tezirite sect
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/27/2008 11:35 PM CDT
<<Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells

<<What is the chance that spells that are used to attack and disable actually contest defensive lunar spells like Shear and SoD?

As has been stated many times by the GMs, Heart Link is a beneficial spell or at best (or worst depending on your view) a neutral spell. As such, the chances are very, very small.

-Evran
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/28/2008 01:43 AM CDT
<<As has been stated many times by the GMs, Heart Link is a beneficial spell or at best (or worst depending on your view) a neutral spell. As such, the chances are very, very small.

Well, when it is used to disable a character without any skill checks so that the effected character can be killed ... how is that benificial?

Pelag ai Aldam Stolas

People ask me all the time what it is like to play my character. So I tell them, being Stolas is kind of like being the Karate Kid except Mr Miyagi isnt helping you out.
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/28/2008 01:46 AM CDT
>> Well, when it is used to disable a character without any skill checks so that the effected character can be killed ... how is that benificial?

Heart Link doesn't do that.

Rev. Reene

SEND[Averiss] what were you recently doing with the mirror and the horse?

Idon: Is there something I should know about?
Me: I'm not even talking to you.
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/28/2008 04:36 AM CDT
<<Heart Link doesn't do that.

What spell am I talking about Reene?

Pelag ai Aldam Stolas

People ask me all the time what it is like to play my character. So I tell them, being Stolas is kind of like being the Karate Kid except Mr Miyagi isnt helping you out.
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/28/2008 04:58 AM CDT
>> What spell am I talking about Reene?

I gave up on trying to fathom your sophistical mind ages ago.

What you're describing ("[a spell] used to disable a character without any skill checks") doesn't actually exist, unless you're getting particularly tetchy and pedantic about the division between stat and skill checks.

In any case, Heart Link doesn't do what you describe. It creates a link that slows down bleeding and poison in both affected parties. That's it. Heart Link can't disable you in any way by itself; it is a neutral spell at worst, and more often than not a purely beneficial spell. I will point out that despite this, Shear activates just fine against it, so it's a moot point anyway.

Rev. Reene

Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/28/2008 05:43 AM CDT
Probably talking about that sleep empath spell, not sure exactly what its called. I know its on the chopping block of sorts (unless it was done already?) as it was stated by a GM that its well overpowered. Although its supposed to be a beneficial spell it is used for otherwise, which is appropriate I would use it that way too if I was an empath.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/28/2008 06:10 AM CDT
>> Probably talking about that sleep empath spell, not sure exactly what its called.

Nissa's Binding.

You are correct that it's slated for a rewrite. It's my hope that the spell will be made altogether less convoluted and more useful while addressing the duration and contest issues, which seem to be the main complaint.

However, Nissa's Binding has checks associated with it assuming you are standing up when it is cast - not checks your average fragile Elothean Moon Mage will pass where a goodly skilled Empath is concerned, but checks nonetheless - so it's still not what he's describing since he referred to something that is without checks. The reason it doesn't contest anything when you're not standing is so it can actually be used for beneficial purposes (which is what the spell was made for) without the Empath needing to contest the patient's stats. If you're in a conflict with an Empath, they cast HL on you and you go and sit down somewhere, you kind of deserve what you get.

Rev. Reene

Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/28/2008 07:32 AM CDT
>>Well, when it is used to disable a character without any skill checks so that the effected character can be killed ... how is that benificial?

Heart Link doesn't disable anyone. You're thinking of Nissa's binding. Train stamina (or shield) and you'll be fine. You need to get away from the idea that Shear and SoD can protect you from everything out there.

- Galren

>>The Rippentropps are a mysterious collective of well-known individuals whose primary charge is to initiate the advancing task of not stopping.
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 07/29/2008 01:33 PM CDT
The real reason is that to contest shear/sod HL would have to be considered an offensive spell, and then it would give empaths shock. Limitation of the current magic system.

And, just because this was Stolas complaining, let's not all jump in and support the ridiculousness that is Nissa's Binding.
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 02/27/2013 11:34 PM CST
>>The real reason is that to contest shear/sod HL would have to be considered an offensive spell, and then it would give empaths shock. Limitation of the current magic system.

Luckily that limitation doesn't exist now, or you'd be right.
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 02/28/2013 12:15 AM CST
>>Luckily that limitation doesn't exist now, or you'd be right.

It did in 2008 when the post was created though, IIRC. :D

Melete
Our choicest plans
have fallen through,
our airiest castles
tumbled over,
because of lines
we neatly drew
and later neatly
stumbled over.
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 02/28/2013 01:06 AM CST
>>It did in 2008 when the post was created though, IIRC. :D

it's almost like reviving five-year-old posts is a fashionable new trend!
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 02/28/2013 01:24 AM CST
If we start arguing with people from the past, I think Annwyl will curse us all to step on a lego.

Melete
Our choicest plans
have fallen through,
our airiest castles
tumbled over,
because of lines
we neatly drew
and later neatly
stumbled over.
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 02/28/2013 01:51 AM CST
>>If we start arguing with people from the past, I think Annwyl will curse us all to step on a lego.

There's a lot of people I'd like to argue with from the past, but it's mostly just because I thought of a REALLY good comeback minutes after leaving the argument.
Re: Heartlink and Defensive Spells 02/28/2013 07:11 AM CST
I would do one more check and ask Book about training and see if he indicates that you need to train the TM skill. If so, your conversion might have been completed incorrectly, and I would assist.

Nikpack