Balance Question. 02/22/2005 05:27 PM CST
In response to my post in the creature forums Ssra posted this:

>>It's an issue with the spell, not creatures. May want to bring it up in the Lunar Magic forums. Sounds like the spell isn't calling the code that handles the updating of balance, fatigue, etc.

So my question is, could it be changed so that balance wont just simply freeze while under the effects of Shadow Web? This way if I web something, and say cut it's leg and it falls down, slammed my tower shield into it knocking it over, someone ice patched it, or it otherwise changed position that it's balance would update before being released from the web, instead of after?

I did some testing with my wife shellwind, and it appears that fatigue and other things were updating normally, just not the balance.

And for completeness here's a copy of what was originally posted in the critters folder.

Ssra, Shadow Web seems to basically freeze the balance of everything that it hits. Would it be possible to allow the balance to change, say drop or increase while in the web? So something that gets hit with shadow web while at incredible balance wont stay at incredible balance until it escapes the web, or in the case below when shadow web is cast between pulses that affect the balance, I wont end up with creatures half the time trapped at solidly balanced, while webbed in the prone position?

>assess
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a Human alley thug (2) at melee range.
A Dwarven street thug (1: passive and solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Human alley thug (2: passive and solidly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
>command thug to die
You force your will upon a Dwarven street thug, shouting, "Die, die, die! To Urrem'Tier's caress!"
A Dwarven street thug twitches and then flops onto the ground!
A Human alley thug twitches and then flops onto the ground!
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
>assess

A Dwarven street thug (1: passive and solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Human alley thug (2: passive and very badly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
>cast
You gesture.
Dark cracks interlace themselves across the ground, snaking in rapid succession until they coalesce into an ebony web of shadowy lines!
You manage to dodge the swirling, web-like tendrils!
Leaping with a life all their own, the webs wrap completely around a Dwarven street thug!
Leaping with a life all their own, the webs wrap completely around a Human alley thug!
Roundtime: 3 seconds.
>assess

A Human alley thug (2: passive and very badly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
>assess

>assess

>
A Human alley thug struggles helplessly in some webs.
>
A Dwarven street thug struggles helplessly in some webs.
>assess
>
A Dwarven street thug suddenly looks rather less content with life in general.
>
A Human street thug steps in from the northwest.
>

You (solidly balanced) are facing a Human alley thug (3) at melee range.
A Dwarven street thug (2: webbed and solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Human alley thug (3: passive and very badly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
>
A Human alley thug suddenly looks rather less content with life in general.
>
A Human street thug searches around for a moment.
>
A Human street thug assesses her combat situation.
>assess

You (solidly balanced) are facing a Human alley thug (3) at melee range.
A Dwarven street thug (2: webbed and solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Human alley thug (3: webbed and very badly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
>
A Halfling alley thug steps in from the northwest.
>
A Dwarven street thug struggles helplessly in some webs.
>
A Human street thug assesses her combat situation.
>assess

You (solidly balanced) are facing a Human alley thug (4) at melee range.
A Dwarven street thug (3: webbed and solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Human alley thug (4: webbed and very badly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
>
Struggling, a Dwarven street thug is able to fight its way free of the shadowy webs.
>
A Halfling alley thug turns to face you.
* Driving in like an adept combatant, a Halfling alley thug fires a crossbow bolt at you. You block with a crocodile-skin shield.
The crossbow bolt lands nearby!
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
>
A Dwarven street thug leaps into a standing position!
>
A Human street thug turns to face you.
* With the speed and temerity of a swooping falcon, a Human street thug fires a crossbow bolt at you. You block with a crocodile-skin shield.
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
>assess
Struggling, a Human alley thug is able to fight its way free of the shadowy webs.
>

You (solidly balanced) are facing a Human alley thug (4) at melee range.
A Halfling alley thug (1: solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Human street thug (2: solidly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Dwarven street thug (3: very badly balanced) is behind you at missile range.
A Human alley thug (4: prone and very badly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
>
A Human alley thug leaps into a standing position!
>
A Halfling alley thug searches around for a moment.
>
* Moving as one fluid extension of power, a Dwarven street thug fires a crossbow bolt at you. You evade, moving out of the way.
[You're solidly balanced and in excellent position.]

On a side note, after reading that log I find it funny that I even webbed the Dwarven street thug as long as I did. Normally a thug at solidly balanced would escape my web in a matter or seconds. Is there some penalty that made it easier to hit because of it being in the prone position that didn?t show in the balance when I assess? And is that Dwarven street thug alone supposed to bring my position to excellent from no advantage all because one of the three thugs at missile decided to fire at me while off balance?
Re: Balance Question. 02/22/2005 05:38 PM CST
>>So my question is, could it be changed so that balance wont just simply freeze while under the effects of Shadow Web?

Weird. We'll look into it.

-Armifer
"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." H.P. Lovecraft
Re: Balance Question. 02/22/2005 08:22 PM CST
Maybe the problem is when I command a group of creatures to die/fall/lie/sleep that only the last one of them gets the balance changed?
Re: Balance Question. 02/23/2005 10:20 PM CST
There was a bug in command that was causing it to only modify the balance of the last critter. It has been squished.

-Armifer
"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." H.P. Lovecraft