Starlight Sphere vs. Ethereal Shield 02/24/2003 12:22 PM CST
Posted this about ES, maybe it's in SLS instead... anyway here goes again.

The air takes on a sudden chill as a glittering bluish-purple sphere flares and rushes at a swamp troll!
A swamp troll's ethereal shield crackles with energy!
A swamp troll's heavy leather skin crackles with frost.

Notice the DOUBLE 'crackle'?
Now look at Burn

>cast tro
You gesture at a swamp troll.
A brilliant beam descends from the sky and shrinks into a tiny point centered on a swamp troll's abdomen!
The beam gouges a steaming ditch through the flesh and bone!

Only one 'crackle', like normal.

Eldrad
Re: Starlight Sphere vs. Ethereal Shield 02/24/2003 12:42 PM CST
Maybe SLS does two forms of damage and ES is picking up on both of them seperately?
Re: Starlight Sphere vs. Ethereal Shield 02/25/2003 02:46 PM CST
Yeah, isn't SLS Cold and something else???

Speaking of which, exactly what kind of Damage is Burn anyhow? Fire?
Re: Starlight Sphere vs. Ethereal Shield 02/25/2003 02:59 PM CST
Yeah, isn't SLS Cold and something else???

Yeah, round. ;P

Seriously, I am curious what's going on here. ES really weakens SLS (compared to Burn), and I think it's because of that extra 'crackle'. I want to know if it is supposed to be there, or a bug.

Eldrad
Re: Starlight Sphere vs. Ethereal Shield 02/26/2003 07:43 AM CST
>Seriously, I am curious what's going on here. ES really weakens SLS (compared to Burn), and I think it's because of that extra 'crackle'. I want to know if it is supposed to be there, or a bug.

You think the ethereal shield is blocking the SLS twice, then, when it should be blocking it once? It does sound like a bug. The SLS only strikes the creature once. I guess if the damage is one form of cold damage and then another form of elemental damage, it would be acceptable to see two crackles of resistance, but it does seem buggy considering that its one attack.
Re: Starlight Sphere vs. Ethereal Shield 02/27/2003 07:37 AM CST
starlight sphere is only cold damage that I know off, unless its impact or something to that affect because it prefers internal to external (I think eh only really studied it pre-magic 2.1)

either way it does look like it protects against SLS twice because it really butchers it
Re: Starlight Sphere vs. Ethereal Shield 02/27/2003 09:27 AM CST
Noted, and on the list to look at.

Talian