On the spells TV and CrS 01/20/2003 04:59 PM CST

I cant really hold my tongue on these two spells any longer. From all testing neither seem to be abiding by the rules of contested spells. I do understand that CrS is a target spell but the balance hit it can cause is un-resistable and a bit awkward. In my tests a moon mage with 80 target was able to hit and badly hurt a mage with 260 evasion just by casting 5 of these in rapid succession. That to me seems a little out of whack as well as far as I can tell this spell is not affected by BMR.

As to TV I have not been able to have it fail to affect a target regardless of stat diffrences unless the spell just outright failed due to magic resistance. If it is under a contested formula it does not seem to be functioning properly.

The relivant stats are as follows

Moon mage casting
300 pm
270 harness
80 target
40 disc
12 ref and agil

Target
260 evasion
26 ref and agil
and all the mentals at 40

I have a couple suggestions that could rectify the problems.

For CrS it could easily be made so that a mage can only have one out at a time it would make it less spamable and more balanced OR it could have the unbalance part made into a form of contested attack that could be resisted based on evasion stats or something.

TV currently the spells seems all around a bit weird, the amount it does per mana seems relatively static and it requires alot of mana to get a "noticeable" effect. Make it contested (probly SvA) or hybrid and bring the mana effeciency up a bit.
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/20/2003 08:15 PM CST
Ok first off 5 casts of CRS is not instantaneous, it's not even really that quick. It takes a few seconds to prepare the spell enough to cast since no spell can be true "snap"cast. Also it takes a few seconds before the spell even attacks. Having someone with evasion of 260 just stand there and let someone with 80 TM cast at them is not a realistic scenario for even a PvP fight because that isn't going to happen unless there are other factors, which would make that person an easy target anyways (immobolization from halt or hypno, mind blasting, webbing, etc).

Secondly there is more then one defense against TM spells. CRS has a balance hit, evasion is the most balance sensitive defense in the game. Pull out a shield with the skill to defend against that cast and you're almost immune because shields are mostly balance neutral. Then only if the TM is almost equal to the shield skill will they be hit (assuming compareable stats and a shield with defense ratings that match any boosting factors in CRS).

Third, there are several abilties/spells that can enhance balance and cancel out the balance negative effects of CRS. So members of the proper guilds can counter this effect and not be as effected by the balance negatives of CRS.

Lastly, there is a completely full proof action that players can take to avoid the effects of CRS completely. If someone casts CRS at you, LEAVE THE AREA. The spell can't chase you and the spike vanishes very quickly if it has no target.

That's not even taking into account the mana requirements of casting CRS 5 times in a row to inflict that big of a balance hit to begin with. Odds are if the moon mage can cast it that quickly, that many times, they can try to do other things to guarntee the first one hits, such as mind blasting, etc. Because odds are they'll have a few hundred in power perc unless it's a good mana day.
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/20/2003 09:44 PM CST

ok so you dont think there is anything wrong with spells not having checks to keep them from just working?

and no the mage in question can not MB the target with any amount of mana

Even with a 50 mana SUF on the target the CrS hits still win since they pulse very rapidly due to the spam casting and the fact that spells like suf and others that gain balance do so in slow pulses.

The point is simple its a skill based game no spells should go unchecked
No spell should be effective regardless of ranks.

I want a spell that summons a giant doom ball with pink hair that automatically can kill anyone in the room with me.
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/20/2003 10:06 PM CST
You want skill checks, ok then how about a skill check for leaving the room when CRS is targeted at you? Because there currently is no such check and it's a 100% guarnteed way to avoid the spell completely because of it's pulse nature. Anyone who's paying attention and not commited to an action already can use it.

And who said the skill checked had to be evasion? Shields are balance neutral and anyone using a shield will not be effected by this aspect of CRS regardless of skill. If they've the skill to block CRS with shield they'll block it, wether it's 1 or 20 CRS attacks.
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/20/2003 10:17 PM CST

I think I should explain something about this post. It was not made with the intent to debate it with moon mages who dont understand balances. It was directed at GMs in order to inform them of an inconsistancy in case they did not know of it. If you feel a need to debate how its ok that a spell is unbalanced then do so with someone who cares to listen to what you have to say.
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/21/2003 12:09 AM CST
>>I think I should explain something about this post. It was not made with the intent to debate it with moon mages who dont understand balances. It was directed at GMs in order to inform them of an inconsistancy in case they did not know of it. If you feel a need to debate how its ok that a spell is unbalanced then do so with someone who cares to listen to what you have to say.

Rather then a GM respond how bout an informed player respond to an ill-informed/uninformed tester.

First of all Crystal Spike when snapping acts almost like a hybrid so its less target dependant but also teaches less, also that you have to remember crystal spike has a chance of unbalancing a target, which is why consecutive attacks are extremely fatal because the more off balance you get the more accurate it is, also its impossible to dodge the unbalancing affect. This can also be tested with Gar Zeng as it does the same affect.

Second Tezirah's Veil is Spell vs Agility, not will vs will if thats what you were thinking I've done extensive testing on it, and its will vs will. Also it doesn't have a dodge or avoid message much like arch light, so aslong as it hits it'll act as if you hit, but if they resist it it'll fail and give the message that you failled because mana resistance when really that you overcame the spell checks, this also however is the reason for the inconsistancies in the mana point per mana point as someone with higher agility will have a broader range of mana needed to raise it to the next level.

If you have any other questions on what I posted or want me to explain things better just ask and I'll try and check the boards and clarify anything I've missed. BTW TV is horrific and if anything should be uptweaked as it usually takes strongly or greatly blurring its vision to notice an affect and that takes an extremely long time, malediction is more mana effective, stronger, and last a longer time in general
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/21/2003 12:45 AM CST
<<Second Tezirah's Veil is Spell vs Agility, not will vs will if thats what you were thinking I've done extensive testing on it, and its will vs will. >>

I've tested the spell as well. I even went as far as calculating difference in appraisal messaging and compairing it with strength messaging. There does not appear to be any contest involved with this spell. The effects were always directly related to how much mana was invested into the spell regardless of the targets will or agility. The only effector was natural resistance.

I took the spell, but it is difficult to use this way. I would think it an improvment if the skillcheck was put into place, and the mana effeciency was cranked up accordingly. That way if you beat someone bad in the contest, you wouldn't have to put 50 mana into it.

-Zelion
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/21/2003 01:39 AM CST
<< That to me seems a little out of whack >>

I find it out of wack that the mage sat around to get hit by the 5 spikes.
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/21/2003 09:00 AM CST
Speaking of unbalanced. Did anyone notice the character's skills? 300 some primary 280 some harness and only 80 targeted. And he had 40 discipline and only 16 reflex and agility.

With crazy unbalanced skills like those no wonder you're getting wierd results.
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/21/2003 12:07 PM CST

I will post some new results with more balanced skills on the side of the offensive caster.

it should also be irrelivant if one side has unbalanced stats/skills with themselfs if the otherside outright wins hands down in all contested aspects. Wich is the case.
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/23/2003 12:13 AM CST
I haven't tested it on players I've tested it on creatures which had low and high agility but where more or less 30+ creatures.

First got interest in it while testing it Guardians seems I was able to TV them quite well with relatively low mana. and if you must know they have high mentals, large amounts of strenght, and laughable amounts of agility and reflex.

Went down to vipers, wasn't able to do even a third of the effectiveness towards them. Then continued testing on leucros, pecc, lang swamps, fenns. Did some personal testing on adan'f but those are inconclusive results do to the nature of their magical resistance but mages are infinitively easier to get a stronger TV off then the warriors. Same applies with EMA which is a known SvA spell.

At the time, not now, I tested it I was aboule to passify a guardian with 13 mana, commandable and 5 (probably lower thats the lowest I went) with a viper. Pretty big mana gap. But I was only able to get a Strong TV on the viper (who has very high agility) and that was forcing alot more mana into it then I ever did with guardians, Guardians I was able to easily although still sorta mana intesive a greatly blurring of its vision.

So that rules out the will vs will, and obviously not SvS so only thing they were lacking was agility and as of yet there isn't a creature that I've found near my level below and above, that is as easy to TV then a rock guardian.
Re: On the spells TV and CrS 01/23/2003 12:53 AM CST

SvA spells have a balance component. If the targets balance does not affect the spell at all then its likely not using the SvA structure in its entirety from the tests we did balance did not seem to have any impact whatsoever.

This spell was released before the contested anouncement thats not say it isnt contested but that its reacting abnormally for a contested spell. The only type of contest that makes sense with the description of the spell (when cast) is SvA. It just doesnt seem to be a normal one if one at all. In its current form the Mana seems to be what dictates the given efect on a target regardless of the caster or targets balance. I feel the spell could likely have some improved strength per mana put into if it abided by normal (SvA?) contested rules.