Psychic Shield 10/05/2002 12:34 AM CDT
okay I've said this 102 times already psychic shield needs to protect against things other then MB and Calm they are not the only spells that affect the psyche, specifically malediction and halt!

Barrier spells were supposed to get better but Psychic shield has Actually gotten worse! wow it can take more MBs now but everything else will compeltely bypass it! only good use for psychic shield is to take up an empty slot so you can get shadowling or shear
Re: Psychic Shield 10/05/2002 03:38 PM CDT
I have not done any testing but if this is true I hope we can have it changed.

Cekar
Re: Psychic Shield 12/31/2002 12:25 PM CST
Um Im not a moon mage but this spell speaks for itself why it doesnt block those, I mean 'Psychic' shield implying blocks psychic attacks which are really only held by moon mages. Halt I agree should be blockable by this though. Malediction is more of a curse and probably shouldnt be blockable by that. Not to many other spells that say they are will based though.

Malediction:
Hinders the target's offensive and defensive abilities. This foul blight may be removed with the Uncurse spell.

Halt:
"The Halt spell, if the caster's will is strong enough, holds the subject motionless for a brief time. It is useless against dumb beasts, but effective when battling more intelligent creatures, or when one must intercede to prevent a citizen from attacking another citizen unjustly.
Re: Psychic Shield 12/31/2002 01:03 PM CST
but es protects against MB

i figure if elemental shield protects from mental attacks the name clearly doesn't say it all
Re: Psychic Shield 12/31/2002 02:41 PM CST
PSY currently protects against nothing IG (since critter magic isn't up) and maybe a few spells from other guilds if that didn't change from before.

So theres really no reason to worry about a spell that does absolutely nothing

-Grads
Re: Psychic Shield 12/31/2002 05:05 PM CST
<<but es protects against MB>>

<<i figure if elemental shield protects from mental attacks the name clearly doesn't say it all>>

It's ethereal shield. And I always thought it merely described what the shield was formed from, not what it defends against.
Re: Psychic Shield 12/31/2002 05:36 PM CST
Mindblast isn't a psychic attack. It's shoving magical energy into the person's brain.

ES protects against magical energies.
Re: Psychic Shield 12/31/2002 05:40 PM CST
> Mindblast isn't a psychic attack. It's shoving magical energy into the person's brain.

How would you define a psychic attack?

Seldaren
Re: Psychic Shield 12/31/2002 06:01 PM CST
>>How would you define a psychic attack?

I'd say calm and halt are psychic attacks.
Re: Psychic Shield 12/31/2002 06:38 PM CST
>ask kara about ethereal shield spell
Karazhil says, "The Ethereal Shield spell offers some protection from elemental attacks, as well as giving you a minor defensive advantage in battle. At higher levels of skill, you can extend the shield to cover all members of your group. Before you can learn this spell, you must be circle 2. It cannot be targetted."

In addition to elemental magic, ES provides slight protection from mundane weapons, and, if I remember correctly, was changed to a barrier type spell, so it opposes all other spells, which would explain why it protects against MB

hope this helps
Archnor
Re: Psychic Shield 12/31/2002 07:35 PM CST
> I'd say calm and halt are psychic attacks.

I was kinda hoping for the simuli in multis, not just examples. I don't see why MB stops becoming a psychic attack just because the mechanism for it has been described slightly more than most other spells.

Seldaren
Re: Psychic Shield 01/01/2003 01:18 AM CST
psychic shield does not protect against just "psychic attacks" your thinking psychic as mental

it protects any attack against your psyche

in other words any will vs will spell will be affected by psychic shield, except I don't think area affect ones are hindered by it in the least

still don't understand the ES and MB thing I can understand maybe if the jolt of energy shot out of me and hit them, but if ES protects against magical energy, then why doesn't it protect against shadows? thats magical energy last I checked by magic 2.1 issues
Re: Psychic Shield 01/02/2003 08:53 AM CST
> I'd say calm and halt are psychic attacks.

Ahh, but they use mana and are "magic" in nature as well. A true psychic attack does not exists, as there is no such thing as a Psionicist and Lawyers in DR. =)
Re: Psychic Shield 01/19/2003 12:40 PM CST
<<no such thing as a Psionicist and Lawyers in DR.>>

ROFL.
Psychic Shield and ES issues 02/16/2003 04:20 AM CST
since there seems to be a problem with PS and ES and moonies wanting similar results from PS why not just make a moonie barrier spell similar to the clerics minor physical protection or major physical protection or ES or whatever maybe it could do something else too
Re: Psychic Shield and ES issues 02/16/2003 11:16 AM CST
huh?
Re: Psychic Shield and ES issues 02/16/2003 04:20 PM CST
I was just reading the board and people were talking about psy shield vs ES and i am just suggesting rather then make MB a barrier spell which it evidently isnt why not just get another moon mage spell that is a barrier spell, and in the great tradition of the moonie guild have it be useful for other spells too
an example Aura Shield, This spell encases you in a transparent aura of moonlight, offering protection from physical attacks. And increase the power of dazzle while you have the shield up (have dazzle do like burning damage or whatever) i dunno it was just a thought
The true potential of the Psychic Shield 02/17/2003 07:10 AM CST
As a possible suggestion, I offer an interpretation of being "stunned", the ability to "stun" another, and the definition of a "stun" attack.

Currently, I've noticed the following ways to become stunned:
1. Mental Blast, or a direct psychic based attack.
2. The after effects of certain magical spells.
3. Being subject to extreme blasts of sounds that cause your senses to become dehabilitated.
4. Heavy damage from physical attacks, usually involving a wound such as bleeding and broken bones(or worse).

The reason I list these forms of stun is because I'd like to link them together. I'd like to suggest that every form of stun comes from the mind, directly or indirectly. The act of being "stunned" is not a form of physical paralysis, but instead, mental paralysis.

1. Being struck a severe wound is an assault on the senses. The physical result is pain, loss of balance, and damage. The mental result is stun.

2. Being struck by a thunderclap spell, is a physical assault to the ears; the stun comes from the overwhelming sense overload to the ears. Physically, there will be damage, mentally, there will be stun.

To give Psychic Shield more potential in the game, I suggest it protects against stun roundtime, either lowering the duration or completely blocking it with a threshold. (If it already does this, my apologies).

I feel that the spell is capable of helping a moon mage block mental overload, protecting his mind from mental paralysis, even if the attack stems from the physical and not the mental.

The only thing that concerned me about my suggestion was if it would be abusive to augment the shield in this way. Honestly, I really don't know; I haven't been able to observe if the Anti-stun spell from the paladin's guild is abused or not. From the perspective of combat, though, I can see it more useful if it helps keep a moon mage from being inable to act.
Re: The true potential of the Psychic Shield 02/19/2003 09:33 AM CST
I belive there is a certain spell combo that will prevent this from happening. Teleport/Psychic Shield

I doubt we're going to be allowed to teleport without a stun ever. Moon Gate was changed to remove the stun after many a requests, and I for one applaud the change and love it.

This would make Moon Gate's 'feature' less special, thus I doubt it happens.

I do however see your point.

Eldrad
Re: The true potential of the Psychic Shield 02/19/2003 09:35 AM CST
>I do however see your point.

Appreciate your comments. All I'd really like to see is Psychic Shield protect against something besides magical mental attacks. I do not have the spell yet, though, so I've been trying to get opinions on it.