Mental Blast v3.2 07/28/2016 05:24 PM CDT
Mental Blast, along with the drop in slots, now requires 20 minimum mana rather than 30, from what I can tell.

DISCERN still says it requires a 50th rank adept.

With the min mana drop, I'm wondering if less than 250 skill is required now.
Re: Mental Blast v3.2 07/28/2016 05:52 PM CDT
>>With the min mana drop, I'm wondering if less than 250 skill is required now.

If I'm reading what you're saying right, I don't believe that how mana costs work.

If it takes 250 ranks to cast a spell with a minimum of 50 mana, if the spell is adjusted to only require a minimum of 20, it'll still take 250 ranks to cast at the minimum. The only time the skill required would change for a spell is if the difficulty of the spell itself is adjusted (which is unrelated to the mana min/max).

All the mana ranges determine is how much bang you get for your buck, what the lowest cost for entry is, and how much skill it takes to move up each point of mana investment. In other words, an advanced spell with the mana range of 5-50 and an advanced spell with the mana range of 1-300 will require the same amount of skill to cast at minimum and maximum. The only difference is that each point of mana invested in the former will be harder to work up toward than the latter, since each point of mana in the latter "matters" less.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Mental Blast v3.2 07/28/2016 09:13 PM CDT
The skill range of a spell is unrelated to the mana level of a spell except as a relative range over which the mana levels are spread out between the skill range.

When the mana level changes it only affects the mana cost of the spell. E.g. in the case of Mental Blast dropping from 30 mana minimum to 20 mana miniumum this means that the spell simply costs less to cast at minimum mana. The relative point you are at in the mana range stays the same assuming the spell's skill range didn't change. E.g. if you could cast it 80% of the way along the range of mana values before 3.2 then you'll still be able to cast it at 80% of the way along the new range of mana values in 3.2 and the effect will be the same, because it's still 80% of the way between min and max casts.

When the skill range changes then it becomes easier or harder to cast the spell, but does not affect the mana cost itself directly. I.e. If a spell were to change it's skill ranges but keep the same mana range then you would see an indirect lowering of the mana cost, but only because you could put less mana into it than you would have before for a lowered effect strength.

Most spell changes in 3.2 had their mana ranges changed but not their difficulty which means that in most cases the spells are just as easy to cast as they were before with the same effect but have a different, usually lower, attunement cost because the mana you need to achieve that effect was changed.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Mental Blast v3.2 07/28/2016 10:44 PM CDT
Ah, I should have known that, but I've only been back a short while. Just a theme I had noticed, but there were assumptions on my part there that were wrong. Thanks for the responses.