SOP Stalking Issue 05/28/2004 10:28 PM CDT
This is a sort of neat side effect of SOP, however one that probably shouldn't be.

prep sop 10

That will disrupt less than a quarter of your current attunement.
You close your eyes and breathe deeply, gathering energy for the Sphere of Protection spell.

cast

You gesture.
Your cambrinth armband emits a loud snap as it discharges its power to aid your spell.
The translucent sphere already around you shudders and flickers with newly added invigoration.
A translucent sphere forms around something in the shadows and shudders like a soap bubble.
A translucent sphere forms around something in the shadows and shudders like a soap bubble.

I had 2 friends hiding on me. Now, they are hidden, and stalking me. I really shouldn't be able to tell if a stalker is there, much less be able to cast on them. Now I really love the perk of being able to bounce the spell to the members of your party, but using this I can discover if someone is stalking me, simply by prepping and casting sop. Although its a neat side effect, you simply shouldn't be able to do this.

Mole

AIM ~ Jasperjohn DR

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Help. Help. If anyone reads this I am being held prisoner by an evil Eunuch. Help.
Re: SOP Stalking Issue 05/30/2004 08:02 AM CDT
>>I had 2 friends hiding on me. Now, they are hidden, and stalking me. I really shouldn't be able to tell if a stalker is there, much less be able to cast on them. Now I really love the perk of being able to bounce the spell to the members of your party, but using this I can discover if someone is stalking me, simply by prepping and casting sop. Although its a neat side effect, you simply shouldn't be able to do this.

No? High level casting of Sphere of Protection becomes Zone of Protection. Zone of Protection covers everyone close to you. Dragonrealms generally uses "group" to determine who is close to you and who is not. Stalking probably shouldn't put them so close to you, but it puts them in your group, so for all intensive purposes they are close enough to you to be affected by the Zone of Protection. You WILL see when the magic stops around something to make a sphere (even if the sphere becomes invisible immediately afterwards), and so the way it works currently goes perfectly with the current logic of the game.

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S. Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: SOP Stalking Issue 05/30/2004 08:59 AM CDT
<<No? High level casting of Sphere of Protection becomes Zone of Protection. Zone of Protection covers everyone close to you. Dragonrealms generally uses "group" to determine who is close to you and who is not. >>

Doesn't work that way for ES which becomes MES (multiple ethereal shields) at higher skill levels. The hidden character is affected by ES, you just can't see it.

From the POV of the hider:
>per
Yavash is dominant, while Katamba and Xibar's influences are weak.
Stellar Magic and Perception spells are favored.
You sense that it's night. [note no spells on this character]
Roundtime: 4 seconds
>hide
Roundtime: 7 sec.
>
Gizella gestures.
A shimmering shield surrounds Gizella.
>per
Yavash is dominant, while Katamba and Xibar's influences are weak.
Stellar Magic and Perception spells are favored.
You sense that it's night.
You sense the Ethereal Shield spell upon you, which should last for about six roisaen.
Roundtime: 5 seconds

What I saw:
A shimmering shield surrounds you.

What the rest of the room saw:
A shimmering shield surrounds Gizella.

Gizella
Re: SOP Stalking Issue 05/30/2004 09:12 AM CDT
PFE has the option of cast self, cast someone else or cast group<with enough skill> It is a pretty decent set up but cast group splits the spell a bit and lowers overall effectiveness and it a bit harder to cast thus probably teaching a little better.

Just A Cleric
Re: SOP Stalking Issue 05/30/2004 09:13 AM CDT
<<PFE has the option of cast self, cast someone else or cast group<with enough skill> It is a pretty decent set up but cast group splits the spell a bit and lowers overall effectiveness and it a bit harder to cast thus probably teaching a little better. >>

Does a group cast reveal the presence of stalkers?
Re: SOP Stalking Issue 05/30/2004 09:35 AM CDT
Nope not even if you can see them with revelation.

>cast group
You gesture.
You deftly splice your spell's energy into several smaller patterns, allowing them to flow to those gathered around you. You sense that the strength of each individual pattern is roughly three-fourths as effective as a singular weave of the spell would be.

You are bathed in a soft white glow for a moment.

It gives not messagin that it is cast on anyone else. Not even to the person who is stalking. However it does cast upon them.

Just A Cleric
Re: SOP Stalking Issue 05/30/2004 09:26 PM CDT
SOPs messaging needs some serious fixing all around.

~Dulcinia

"Just melt her down and you'll reveal
A lump of lead as cold as steel
Here, where a woman's heart should be."
--Alma Hix
Re: SOP Stalking Issue 06/01/2004 12:52 PM CDT
"Your cambrinth armband emits a loud snap as it discharges its power to aid your spell.
The translucent sphere already around you shudders and flickers with newly added invigoration.
A translucent sphere forms around something in the shadows and shudders like a soap bubble."

It seems to me from the messaging- if the person is affected by SOP, even while in hiding, then the messaging is correct. I would notice if a translucent sphere forms around something that i couldn't see.

Either make it so SOP doesn't affect those not in the group, but stalking, or in the group but in hiding, or keep it the way it is.

Flavius